Question for trucker's

I had recently driven from PA to CA and back. It seems to me, that there are a considerable number more semi's on the road than there used to be.

It used to be, that you would respect them, and for the most part, they would try to respect the 4 wheelers. Now, I realize there are idiots behind both wheels unfortunately, but I have seen more trucks zig zagging all over the lanes, hanging out in the left lane for no reason, etc., and more locked up tire smoke in 2 days, than I have seen in my life.

I have seen videos recently of wrecks on snowy interstates, and here comes a big rig, like an 80,000 lb bowling ball right thru the middle of it. My question is, do semi drivers still use CB radio's? It used to be, that if there was something going on, you knew about it at least 5 miles in advance, anymore, they seem clueless.

Then again, there was a pileup on the local interstate the other day, a volunteer firemen got hit by a rig, and everyone driving in the cars, trucks were early to mid 20's. Not saying a truck started this one, but they were definitely involved.

Just wondering, have things changed that much or am I just getting older?

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

I had recently driven from PA to CA and back. It seems to me, that there are a considerable number more semi's on the road than there used to be.

It used to be, that you would respect them, and for the most part, they would try to respect the 4 wheelers. Now, I realize there are idiots behind both wheels unfortunately, but I have seen more trucks zig zagging all over the lanes, hanging out in the left lane for no reason, etc., and more locked up tire smoke in 2 days, than I have seen in my life.

I have seen videos recently of wrecks on snowy interstates, and here comes a big rig, like an 80,000 lb bowling ball right thru the middle of it. My question is, do semi drivers still use CB radio's? It used to be, that if there was something going on, you knew about it at least 5 miles in advance, anymore, they seem clueless.

Then again, there was a pileup on the local interstate the other day, a volunteer firemen got hit by a rig, and everyone driving in the cars, trucks were early to mid 20's. Not saying a truck started this one, but they were definitely involved.

Just wondering, have things changed that much or am I just getting older?

Very few use a cb anymore. Very few speak English well enough to make them work anyway. 
Cow trucks, a few grain trucks and some of the old school freight haulers still use them. Mine is on all the time but rarely hear any talk. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The only time mine is on is when I'm at the mill. Other than that it is off

Not out on the highways enough to make a comment but I can testify to reverse skills. Down the road from our place where one of the business's multiple bay loading dock faces the public roadway. After they sweep the pallet nails out in the street the games begin, over the curb, jack knifed, several tries and spotters. I would laugh if they weren't preventing me from passing through. Some of these guys I have seen out of the truck I would not open the front door for until I was locked and loaded.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

CB still used to warn others of obstacles they have ahead of them like someone parked on side of road, in lane, no lights etc.

Calves out on hwy 20 west of Valentine the other night I gave a heads up to 2 trucks I met.

But nothing like the chatter from those old 70's movies and tv shows.

I can go a whole trip of 410 miles without hearing anything at all.

• Like 2

I'm glad someone brought this up.  The towelheads and third world truckers drive like idiots, have no road manners or pride in their trucks. They are disgusting.  They piss in a gallon jug and throw it out the window.  Scumbags.  How they get a license is beyond me because they can't drive. 

• Like 6

Put one in the dump truck. Might hear a little around the truck stop but not much. They use them at the quarry so thats the main reason I put one in it. They say there's been a resurgence in sales of them but I ain't hearing much on there. 

On 4/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, Frank H said:

I'm glad someone brought this up.  The towelheads and third world truckers drive like idiots, have no road manners or pride in their trucks. They are disgusting.  They piss in a gallon jug and throw it out the window.  Scumbags.  How they get a license is beyond me because they can't drive. 

The truth well spoken

There is a truck stop down near the interstate I see the jugs of Poland Springs "Golden" on the side of the road all the time!!

The lazy POSs couldn't throw them in the garbage at the truck stop?

I did some work at at NATO Jet engine repair facility in Turkey about 1 1/2 hours out side of Ankara.

I flew into Ankara  via Frankfort couldn't sleep on the plane so I was wiped when I got to Ankara.

The repair facility sent a car to pick me up and take me to their guest house where I was staying so I figured I would sleep some on the car ride.

Wrong!! The road out to guest house was a two lane and the Turkish driver was passing trucks on hills and curves almost had a head on 3 times.

I took the train back to the airport when I left.

• Like 5

l had CB's in all the crude hauling trucks l have drove, but only because some refineries used them to get your truck and load information. But soon as l got loaded l turned it off because l got tired of hearing "foreign" languages on it. l know a lot of rig movers use them on locations while tearing down or building drilling rigs, usually on a weird channel, like 30 or 33.

• Like 2

Thursday morning I was getting the car serviced at the garage, and while I was there, the morning show out of Pittsburgh was on the TV. I don't know where it was at, not local, but it shows a truck barreling thru the middle of a pileup on a snowy interstate, and it hit a highway plow truck and threw that thing sideways off the road and on its side like it was a rag doll, and it hardly slowed him down, as he kept plowing thru cars and other semi's. I don't know if that guy killed anyone, but there was definitely no reason for it.

• Like 1

I have HF CB  and UHF GMRS available. Neither is busy.  We use handi-talkes on GMRS for local area coms.  Most people today make a phone call for all coms, I have always wondered what they do when there are no cell towers in range.  Anyone ever use a cellphone in Bid Bend national park in the back country??

Not much cell coverage in some areas in Maine were my camp is so mostly the old fashion way of waiting till face to face

Back when they had the phones with the Walkie Talkie function we used those now its the CB or Walkie Talkie. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frank H said:

I worked as a Insurance Adjuster and the towelheads would put a funnel on a hose thru the floor and pee on the go.  When they would bring their trucks in for service the mechanics would refuse to work on them until they were steam cleaned and sterilized which cost a bunch of money.  The Insurance Co would never pay for the sterilization.

4 hours ago, Frank H said:

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, bigequip said:

The Insurance Co would never pay for the sterilization.

Uncle Sam ought to put some thing in the food we hand out to keep some of these groups from over populating the planet 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thank the Feds for the current crop of truck idiots. Most old school guys got tired of the regulations and quit. Not sure how many of the current crop of idiots will ever become a "operator/driver". Hopefully some good ones in there somewhere.

A year ago I paid an employee to go to driving class $4,500. plus $15/hour for his schooling. After 6 weeks to a "new career" he was certified and had his CDL license at that point I had my main driver take him along and let him drive when empty. The guy couldn't keep the truck between the lanes , worst thing was he wanted to hug the left lane. So I asked him why "Because that is how I drive my race car in the racing video":o WTH does a racing video have to do with a driving a semi? "I've trained myself to stay away from the loose gravel when driving my race car." :angry:   Couldn't back up to save his soul.    He has moved on to a lumber yard being a yard boy with a very structured routine.

• Sad 2

Work for the State of Pa on one of the busiest interstates in PA. Direct link from D.C. to P.A. turnpike. Truckers, crazy car drivers and southern non winterized drivers just pedal  to the medal.I always tell my kids and family to be alert and stay back or far in front. But the ones you can't trust at all and should stay far away from are the van drivers.They are basicly terminal to terminal shuttle drivers and are the most dangerous. 

Th flatbed,low boy,dump trailer,tanker, hopper bottom guys are generally old school, experienced drivers. They have to bind loads, know how to dump off and are basicly more knowledgeable, professional people.

The van guys you don't know who is behind the wheel 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

took my CB out of the truck about 6 years ago....got tired of the kindergarten trash talk when driving around any big city especially Chicago.

can't remember the last time a shipper/consignee used a CB to get a hold of the drivers, they all ask for your cell phone number nowdays which is just fine with me...couldnt hear or understand some of them on the CB anyway.

• Like 1

For us out here, it's the driver's truck or otherwise from canada. I drive dumps, always turn signal 1/2 mile ahead, one day I was turning, semi on my tail, about to stop, realized he was not stopping, jammed on the peddle, nothing but tire smoke in rear view. Thank god I hit the peddle. Canadian truck. They drive.like idiots here

Mark

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Frank H said:

They don’t have American drivers license!! If they have any it’s from what ever country they are from. 
I got hit out in Wyoming. The guy who hit me snuck in through Mexico. Team driver and couldn’t speak English. I should have really gone after them, but I have a new grill guard coming and they paid for it. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, td9inidaho said:

For us out here, it's the driver's truck or otherwise from canada. I drive dumps, always turn signal 1/2 mile ahead, one day I was turning, semi on my tail, about to stop, realized he was not stopping, jammed on the peddle, nothing but tire smoke in rear view. Thank god I hit the peddle. Canadian truck. They drive.like idiots here

Mark

They drive like ducking idiots up here also, everywhere, I think discovery has  the west road show out of hope with Jamie Davis towing, he covers the coq, the canyon, and the crowsnest, the wrecks are unbelievable, and guess what? There ain’t no cowboy hats and boots, it’s all turbans and sandals. The east coast version is called hwy 401 and the tow guys take their lives in others hands, very dangerous.

• Like 2

My kid has got back to work after an ankle break put him down for a long time, this is his bucket and he fills about 200 dumps a day and his feelings on the new kanadian truckers is the same as spoken here.

His  office.

at 6’4” and 299.5 he fits it just fine.

C1F15FB5-041C-482E-B01D-E371C55C296F.png

• Like 3

...turbans and bloody sandals..... ..Good grief.....what is your great country coming to..?????

..my first trip to the USA...in 1972....   (12 weeks driving around the country.....)....I used to stop at truck stops ..and talk to the various truckies.......and because I was interested and could 'talk their lingo"...albeit with a vastly different accent.....  it was great.......A bunch of really good blokes....plying  their   trade over those vast distances......

...well...the distances  are still vast......  but in my most recent trip which is now  almost six years ago   ...(gasp ).....I did notice a proliforation   of "rag head "   humans at the wheel...

.....Is this an indictment on .the employers ???.....the lack of training ??? ...the lack of interest  in that  job that unless you have kin folk involved....noboby realises how stressful and tiring it can be..???

As I have said before......pulling   a bloody rickshaw  is hardly the pathway to class 8, long haul    highway    trucking...............

Mike

• Like 3
10 hours ago, mike newman said:

...turbans and bloody sandals..... ..Good grief.....what is your great country coming to..?????

..my first trip to the USA...in 1972....   (12 weeks driving around the country.....)....I used to stop at truck stops ..and talk to the various truckies.......and because I was interested and could 'talk their lingo"...albeit with a vastly different accent.....  it was great.......A bunch of really good blokes....plying  their   trade over those vast distances......

...well...the distances  are still vast......  but in my most recent trip which is now  almost six years ago   ...(gasp ).....I did notice a proliforation   of "rag head "   humans at the wheel...

.....Is this an indictment on .the employers ???.....the lack of training ??? ...the lack of interest  in that  job that unless you have kin folk involved....noboby realises how stressful and tiring it can be..???

As I have said before......pulling   a bloody rickshaw  is hardly the pathway to class 8, long haul    highway    trucking...............

Mike

They will put anyone and anybody behind the wheel. The goverment here has made it easier for people not to work then work.So many lazy 20 something's  have turned into lazy 30 somethings and it's getting worse. It would not be at all bad if the non Americans would strive to be like most Americans and treat our country with respect.I am also want to say plenty of Americans are pigs and trash the roadsides and other people.I don't want to be bigoted against other nations but if your native country, speeding,throwing trash out the window including pee bottles,poop bottles,pooping in parking lot rest stops when bathrooms are open (seen all this when picking up road side trash),being ignorant to other drivers,people,truck stop employees, beating businesses out of fees,maybe you should stay in your country. Obey the country's laws,customs,people in whatever country you visit,work out of and the world will be a better place.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3