Farmall M disc size

Youngred2000

My main horse blew a turbo and I am having a hard time finding one for it. I have 20 acers that hasn't been farmed in 2 years I want to get planted with oats but I meet to knock down the weeds first so I have two options. Option 1 is go over it with my 6 foot drag disc at least once and then again with a drag. Or option 2 is take the 20ft ford 241 and fold the winglets up so it would be 14 foot and use a hand crank turnbuckle for the lift and set it to run like a inch deep. I don't need it tilled much I just need to knock the stalks of last year's weeds down  Thanks

Back in the day we pulled a 9' wheel disc with an M & a SM. Bought a 450 & moved up to a 13' IH # 37 disc.,Thought we were cutting a fat hog in the arse when we got the 37. The SM  struggled to pull it, M wouldn't.

The way I look at it, is you can take the 6ft disc and either bury it deep or simply go faster at a shallow setting.  Or take the bigger disc pull it in 1st gear and barely till the soil.  At an 1" depth the weeds will go around the discs.  Just my experience.  

If the small disk has anyplace to set some weight on, stones, cast iron weights, whatever is handy, I'd try that before the big one. Think you'll get better results. Bigger disk is a half a load for a M to pull in transport position, let alone in the ground.

I decided I had no good way to load the disc up to bring it to the field so I took the 3 bottom instead and made one pass down the field idled back to turn around and then it ran away on me and now for the life of me I can not get the back carb bolt off  

6 hours ago, Youngred2000 said:

I decided I had no good way to load the disc up to bring it to the field so I took the 3 bottom instead and made one pass down the field idled back to turn around and then it ran away on me and now for the life of me I can not get the back carb bolt off  

Man, you deserve a break.