Depending on what you are looking to store , I just buy external hard drives

?  they are 1 and done and WILL FAIL !!

with the dvd can have 10 copies for $1.50

photos 7k

movies 300

computer files 200 with some at 300 pages +

email more than billery

scans of all print material ,as grandchildren dont want ,

and if we ever find a library/archive  they dont have competent staff of $$$ to keep the print

1 hour ago, mmi said:

?  they are 1 and done and WILL FAIL !!

with the dvd can have 10 copies for $1.50

photos 7k

movies 300

computer files 200 with some at 300 pages +

email more than billery

scans of all print material ,as grandchildren dont want ,

and if we ever find a library/archive  they dont have competent staff of $$$ to keep the print

I’m with you. Store your data yourself. Everyone is pushing the cloud nowadays. Someone else keeps your data, your government will have access to it and possibly other governments. State sponsored hackers understand the software better than the people who wrote it. 
Im not one of those people that believe the government is out to get you but I think this “ IOT “ thinking is stupid. Does your refrigerator really need to be connected to the internet?

backing up data yourself and keeping it in multiple physical locations is better in my opinion.

@FarmallFan will have better advice.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MarkG said:

I’m with you. Store your data yourself. Everyone is pushing the cloud nowadays. Someone else keeps your data, your government will have access to it and possibly other governments. State sponsored hackers understand the software better than the people who wrote it. 
Im not one of those people that believe the government is out to get you but I think this “ IOT “ thinking is stupid. Does your refrigerator really need to be connected to the internet?

backing up data yourself and keeping it in multiple physical locations is better in my opinion.

Agreed^^^!
what about using thumb drives for storage? 

Best storage is on multiple external hard drives.  Thumb drives are not intended to keep data for a long period, same as flash cards.

friend of mine is a nerd, has two hard drives on his router, his computers back up to them on a schedule. He has a third in his gun safe, and a fourth at a buddies.  They get rotated regularly, he might lose some, but not much if they have a catastrophic loss

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Best storage is on multiple external hard drives.

Thanks for confirming , I was told this by more than one "nerd"

There was a comment on this at Chiefio recently.

Kodachrome has a life of about 100 years.  No more Kodachrome.  Ectachrome etc maybe 50.

Think how many digital formats there have been in our time already.  So reading your early backed up data now needs how many pieces of obsolete technology?

19 hours ago, MarkG said:

This is just my opinion but if your aversion to cloud storage is that the government will access then I suggest you get off the Internet, get rid of credit/debit cards. The "tracking" happens without cloud storage.  

To answer the original question, external hard drives can be used but you should have a couple that you use in rotation and store offsite. I've seen the external drive fail sooner, than the drive in the PC that it was supposed to be backing up. That's why its best to have a rotation so that you have the data in more than one backup drive. This is assuming your talking about home PC backups. Enterprise level backups are a whole different animal entirely. 

BJ

• Like 2