auto steer and 88 series tractors.....

Duane966

i have an 3688 and 5288.  l've been looking into adding auto steer to

these tractors.  looked at  wheelman and trimble.  i currently use an

ez 500 so trimble would be one way to go.  i like the wheelman as i can

move it between the tractors.  however both tractors have tilt steering

and from what i understand these systems won't work with tilt steering.

no place to mount the brackets is my understanding.  might have to reengineer

the bracket mounting area to make it work.  

i see some have went the hydraulic route.  does someone offer a complete

kit and instructions for that??  if not, that might be over my pay grade.  lol

so, what are my options and getting different tractors is not an option.  lol

thanks!!!

Duane

I use an Ag Leader On Trac 3 on a 1982 8650 Deere 4wd. It has tilt steering on it. On Trac bolts to the steering column and has a ring that bolts around the center of the steering wheel, so there is nothing to bang your hand on as you turn the wheel.  They say it’s easy to move around, but that’s the only machine I use it on. If it works on an older Deere, I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t/couldn’t mount in what you describe. I have the Ag Leader In Command monitor to operate the steering and control 12 sections on my 24 row planter. I have a Starfire 3000 Greenstar GPS receiver on it. I used a Greenstar receiver because at the time used ones were everywhere and cheaper than the Ag Leader one my dealer said I would need. There is currently a shortage of Deere receivers, I don’t think you would find one new or used right now. Once Deere has stock, used ones will be around again. The Ag Leader system new is $$$.

My dad is older now and says it is too hard for him to run older tractors, so we have to have newer ones for him to run. This system runs right next to Deere 8XXXR and 9XXXR tractors and I think it is every bit as good as an integrated hydraulic steering valve. I used this system with an Ag Leader Integra monitor years ago and thought that was a good monitor too. I bet you could find one of those used, maybe a steering control unit too if you looked. 

In my experience if you want good GPS control you have to pay for it. In my opinion cheap GPS isn’t any better than no GPS at all. Good receivers are also a must. I had a cheap Tee-Jet system years ago that had a cheap receiver and I could not get it within ten feet pass to pass. I finally gave up on it. Cheap systems may have improved some since then, but if I was going to shell out any amount of money I would want something I knew would work. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

I have a ez steer on a 5488.  It has tilt wheel.  Works just fine!  Had one in my 5088 and it worked fine as well.

Had one in mine, worked very well...............Although mine was not tilt wheel.  Had the T2 terrain compensator mounted nice, and could move it with removing one bolt and loosening another, take the 500 off the ram mount with one screw, and then pull the EZ steer off with 2 wing nuts on bolts.  Had a Deere powerstrip mounted on my monitor and T2 bracket so could just pull it and move the whole works, harness and all quick.  

18 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

I have a ez steer on a 5488.  It has tilt wheel.  Works just fine!  Had one in my 5088 and it worked fine as well.

how did you attached the bracket around the steering shaft?  any pictures??

Thanks!

Edited by Duane966

We started with an ez steer on tilt on 7250, then went to an On-Trac II.  problem was dad was getting older and the resistance to get the on-trac to release and steer on ends was hard, tried to recalibrate things but if we set it lighter the on-trac would kick itself off if it had to steer too hard.  Got rid of the 7250 then and moved to a 315 with integrated..problem solved there.   moved the on-trac to the 5488 for planting and same issue seemed like we had to fight it sometimes to get it to release, or if set too light would kick itself off on its own.   Got tired of that and put an integrated hydraulic system on 5488. Its been problem free for several years now. 

I'm not too far away and would be happy to show you what we have done if you want to take a look.  It is more money for the system and the upgrade to a 750 or higher from your 500.  The other systems can work with the tilt wheel, just have to get it mounted up right.

Happy to help if you have questions...

Loren

• Like 1

Duane 

I'm sure you could fabricate  a clamp around the tilt part that doesn't rotate. Fasten the anti rotation bracket to your clamp.

You may jus need to do some fab work but would be simple to attach to it.  

They jus don't have a kit that is specific to your tractors prolly. But see no reason you couldn't make it work.

Ag leader's new Steady Steer looks really slick moving from one tractor steering wheel to another.

Lot smaller motor unit hanging under steering wheel that you clip on. 

Screenshot_20210423-203510_Gallery.jpg

The only way I run them is with foot pedal switch, so much easier, for both engaging and disengaging. If it's rough it gets a little tricky to hit the right button without a pedal. If you do decide to go with OnTrac, don't get anything less than OnTrac 3. Although I don't think you'll even be able to find one unless you find something used. Now the updated version is called SteadySteer. Very nice and just using WAAS.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

Duane 

I'm sure you could fabricate  a clamp around the tilt part that doesn't rotate. Fasten the anti rotation bracket to your clamp.

You may jus need to do some fab work but would be simple to attach to it.  

They jus don't have a kit that is specific to your tractors prolly. But see no reason you couldn't make it work.

Ag leader's new Steady Steer looks really slick moving from one tractor steering wheel to another.

Lot smaller motor unit hanging under steering wheel that you clip on. 

Screenshot_20210423-203510_Gallery.jpg

I used the correct size exhaust clamp.

It’s come a long way since the first system I built. It’s been a great learning experience and I highly recommend going this route if you’re looking for the most bang for your buck. 

You can get a dual band GPS receiver and set up your own base station for RTK for less than a single used commercial receiver. 
https://www.ardusimple.com/product/simplertk2b-basic-starter-kit-ip65/

12 hours ago, ZG6E said:

It’s come a long way since the first system I built. It’s been a great learning experience and I highly recommend going this route if you’re looking for the most bang for your buck. 

You can get a dual band GPS receiver and set up your own base station for RTK for less than a single used commercial receiver. 
https://www.ardusimple.com/product/simplertk2b-basic-starter-kit-ip65/

Your right that is low cost stuff.  You need to do some of the work but man.  We have a Pro700 monitor in the 210Mag and 185Puma.  The puma needs the antenna/reciever but the rest is there.  The 210 has it all.  We have not learned how to properly use most features....1 season.  Basically only steering now.  The puma is on mixer box mostly so dont need it but in summer its mowed and dragged manure line.  But the few 1000 for a reciever seems nuts.  I may call these guys and see if they have a solution.  The 8930 would be nice to make auto.  Do they sell those hard parts?  Didnt see on site. 

Gps... you kinda brush it off but after you have it it sure is nice.  Pumping at 1.1mph esp.  Then tillage...it feels like i am watching the implement better since i am not watching the overlap.  And its true after 12hr with vs without you are more tired.

Here's a link to the thread where I installed a Trimble Auto Pilot system on my 5488 MFWD. Not the least expensive option, but it works pretty well and is a clean, well integrated system. So far, I have not been able to get it calibrated well enough to steer the tractor to drive between rows, for example, like my MX215 will do repeatedly. I'm not sure why this is. Overall, still pretty happy with the system. A lot of people are saying that Ag Leader is the system to go with, as they offer more/better options as far as planting/application/yield monitoring, etc. than Trimble.

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/129343-integrated-trimble-auto-pilot-5488/?tab=comments#comment-1414195

45 minutes ago, neukm said:

Here's a link to the thread where I installed a Trimble Auto Pilot system on my 5488 MFWD. Not the least expensive option, but it works pretty well and is a clean, well integrated system. So far, I have not been able to get it calibrated well enough to steer the tractor to drive between rows, for example, like my MX215 will do repeatedly. I'm not sure why this is. Overall, still pretty happy with the system. A lot of people are saying that Ag Leader is the system to go with, as they offer more/better options as far as planting/application/yield monitoring, etc. than Trimble.

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/129343-integrated-trimble-auto-pilot-5488/?tab=comments#comment-1414195

What is it doing that you can’t keep it in between rows? Does it struggle to hold a line on a side hill or is it a problem on flat ground too?

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Your right that is low cost stuff.  You need to do some of the work but man.  We have a Pro700 monitor in the 210Mag and 185Puma.  The puma needs the antenna/reciever but the rest is there.  The 210 has it all.  We have not learned how to properly use most features....1 season.  Basically only steering now.  The puma is on mixer box mostly so dont need it but in summer its mowed and dragged manure line.  But the few 1000 for a reciever seems nuts.  I may call these guys and see if they have a solution.  The 8930 would be nice to make auto.  Do they sell those hard parts?  Didnt see on site. 

Gps... you kinda brush it off but after you have it it sure is nice.  Pumping at 1.1mph esp.  Then tillage...it feels like i am watching the implement better since i am not watching the overlap.  And its true after 12hr with vs without you are more tired.

Ardusimple only sells GPS receivers and like equipment.  They have no involvement in any other hardware as far as Ag equipment.  A large majority of the hardware can be purchased from places like digikey, Amazon, eBay, etc. 

You’re right that auto steer makes life so much easier. Now I can just concentrate on the equipment I’m running instead of what direction the tractor is pointed. 

Yesterday afternoon I spread fertilizer on almost 200 acres of hay ground. 17mph and the tractor drove rock solid. Trying to do that by hand following a light bar would be very tough and with no guidance you’re either under or over applying.  I used to put flags down at each end of the field every 100’ but what a pain in the butt and time consuming.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

What is it doing that you can’t keep it in between rows? Does it struggle to hold a line on a side hill or is it a problem on flat ground too?

Well that's a good question. It seems to me like it takes a split second for the piston pump to spool up to provide pressure to steer the front axle, which gets progressively more pronounced as operating temp gets hotter. Maybe there's a setting I don't have calibrated correctly, idk. This tractor gets used just for tillage and litter spreader work, so perfectly accurate steering is not necessarily essential. It's just not as responsive as my MX215 which I have sidedressed NH3 and row cultivated with hands free.

23 minutes ago, neukm said:

Well that's a good question. It seems to me like it takes a split second for the piston pump to spool up to provide pressure to steer the front axle, which gets progressively more pronounced as operating temp gets hotter. Maybe there's a setting I don't have calibrated correctly, idk. This tractor gets used just for tillage and litter spreader work, so perfectly accurate steering is not necessarily essential. It's just not as responsive as my MX215 which I have sidedressed NH3 and row cultivated with hands free.

Hmm, I guess I’m not much help there... I am using the gear pump to supply mine -not power beyond off the main pump so I haven’t experienced that issue.  It doesn’t seem right though I would maybe continue to mess with the settings. I’m not sure what settings they use exactly but it shouldn’t be an issue. 

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I always kinda shrugged about gps steering.  I saw the value for some jobs but not what I do.  Then last fall we were hauling old dry lot pen manure off my yards to the neighbors bean field that already had hog manure knifed on.  Dry lot compost/manure looks just like dirt and when spread with a vertical beater spreader it is hard to see where it was applied, even during the day and at a heavy rate.  After dark it was impossible to where to drive.  Put said neighbor’s GPS equipped tractor on the spreader and wow what a life saver!  Made that job a whole lot better between auto steer and mapping.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I always kinda shrugged about gps steering.  I saw the value for some jobs but not what I do.  Then last fall we were hauling old dry lot pen manure off my yards to the neighbors bean field that already had hog manure knifed on.  Dry lot compost/manure looks just like dirt and when spread with a vertical beater spreader it is hard to see where it was applied, even during the day and at a heavy rate.  After dark it was impossible to where to drive.  Put said neighbor’s GPS equipped tractor on the spreader and wow what a life saver!  Made that job a whole lot better between auto steer and mapping.

You would be surprised how nice autosteer is when you’re baling. Of course you have make sure you cut and rake with autosteer too. It’s a viscous cycle. ?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ZG6E said:

You would be surprised how nice autosteer is when you’re baling. Of course you have make sure you cut and rake with autosteer too. It’s a viscous cycle. ?

At this point it doesn’t work for me. I work mostly with corn stalks and have found that the rake needs to follow the corn rows for optimum rake performance. There is no GPS out there that I know of that can follow existing  rows close enough and consistently over a field to make it worth the cost. Row sense might work, but it doesn’t sound like it will work the greatest in harvested rows, and I really doubt it will work at all at the raking speed. For me to be happy with GPS on a round baler, I would want the baler monitor integrated into the system so that the auto steer is responding to any corrections needed for even chamber fill.  The whole idea is somewhat tantalizing but it all starts with being able to follow the existing corn rows precisely and that is not an easy feat. 

4 hours ago, Gearclash said:

At this point it doesn’t work for me. I work mostly with corn stalks and have found that the rake needs to follow the corn rows for optimum rake performance. There is no GPS out there that I know of that can follow existing  rows close enough and consistently over a field to make it worth the cost. Row sense might work, but it doesn’t sound like it will work the greatest in harvested rows, and I really doubt it will work at all at the raking speed. For me to be happy with GPS on a round baler, I would want the baler monitor integrated into the system so that the auto steer is responding to any corrections needed for even chamber fill.  The whole idea is somewhat tantalizing but it all starts with being able to follow the existing corn rows precisely and that is not an easy feat. 

Yeah it might be tough to do unless you could get the planters guidance lines. I’ve never baled corn stalks so I’m not sure how it would go filling the chamber- I am in mostly irrigated very consistent alfalfa so basically I set my rake accordingly and then drive straight with the baler.