IH model 10 drill

I have had this drill for a Cple years now, works great for what I need planted. Just curious about the "gauge" dial that is attached and what it's supposed to be telling me?  Thanks anyone and everyone here for all the great help and information

Mark

IMG_20210421_155758715.jpg

Like snoshoe mentioned, it is an acre counter.  There should be a chain on the frame and an eyebolt on the back of the counter and the counter should pivot on a rod.  When you are transporting the drill or if you don't want to use it, you latch the chain into the frame to keep the gear on the bottom from touching the drive shaft.  When you are ready to seed, you unlatch the chain and the gear rotates with the drive shaft giving you a count of your acreage.

My drill I had used that also its for counting acres planted it engages and disengages when the openers are raised and lowered a real piece of ingenuity there Tire size is very important to be accurate

• Like 1

It's showing 6 acres. The small dial is 0-2. The upper right is 2-40 acres and the upper left is 40 and up. You lift up the two levers on the top and reset the dials to their base number. Then the run in sequence. 0-2 then 2-40 and then 40 and up. There should be a rod on the back side to adjust for the engage/disengage to the drive spiral. They are quite accurate.

If you get a chance take and post a picture of the backside to show its workings for those who haven't seen one.

28 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

It's showing 6 acres. The small dial is 0-2. The upper right is 2-40 acres and the upper left is 40 and up. You lift up the two levers on the top and reset the dials to their base number. Then the run in sequence. 0-2 then 2-40 and then 40 and up. There should be a rod on the back side to adjust for the engage/disengage to the drive spiral. They are quite accurate.

If you get a chance take and post a picture of the backside to show its workings for those who haven't seen one.

Well I didn't see or know about the 0-2 dial. Are you missing that the over 40 dial is past 80?

Thanks everyone for the instructions on its workings. I figured it did such, just didn't know the sequences of reading the duals. It still works well, I will get a pic of the gears for others to see

Mark

5 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Well I didn't see or know about the 0-2 dial. Are you missing that the over 40 dial is past 80?

I guess I would have to agree with 87, plus in the picture it doesn't look like the bottom counter can turn a complete circle. Unless I'm not understanding something.

1 minute ago, TB5288 said:

I guess I would have to agree with 87, plus in the picture it doesn't look like the bottom counter can turn a complete circle. Unless I'm not understanding something.

Maybe its not supposed to make full turn. So in this instance wouldn't we say 89? 80 +7ish + 2 = 89. I have a drill with same counter...I've never messed with it. Honestly didn't think it would be accurate anyway.

Our model 10 had an acre meter like that. Never knew they all didn't have them

13 hours ago, snoshoe said:

When zeroing it, the pointers do not all move together. They all have to be set to their low starting point individually. The 2-40 would go to 40 acres and then the 40 plus pointer would start moving. I have had one for 25 years and and put in 20-30 acres a year in with oats. I use the counter every year but have never put in more than 30 acres so the 40 plus one never gets to move. I will have to look what my manual says.