We all know about dimensional lumber...... but, 3/4" Oak plywood is $70 a sheet and going higher. I have a bunch of 3/4" Birch that I bought when it was $42 a sheet and I thought I was getting screwed then. Now it looks cheap. 

Twisted/cracked/used  landscape timbers (railroad ties) are $25 a piece.

Bought (4) 2x4x8s at the lumber yard last week.  Over $36.00 with the sales tax.

I just sawed 15 6/4 x 5" 16' hemlock board's for brace board's for a shed I am getting free to rebuild at my house. I am figuring to probably saw all new runner board's for the roof . Glad I only have to pay for gasoline, blades and blade sharpening right now

So what are the causes?  The possibilities that come to my mind are:

Increased demand due to lots of building and remodeling projects that people don't yet realize they can't afford.

The supply chain: 

Truck shortage?

Driver shortage?

Miscellaneous production and distribution screw-ups, direct or indirect, in this country and others due to lockdowns and other useless but harmful wuflu mitigation regulations?

Opinions from others more knowledgeable than I am?

8 hours ago, Steve C. said:

So what are the causes?  The possibilities that come to my mind are:

Increased demand due to lots of building and remodeling projects that people don't yet realize they can't afford.

The supply chain: 

Truck shortage?

Driver shortage?

Miscellaneous production and distribution screw-ups, direct or indirect, in this country and others due to lockdowns and other useless but harmful wuflu mitigation regulations?

Opinions from others more knowledgeable than I am?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. And probably the biggest factor is greed in the supply chain: they could sell you lumber today, or they could wait a week and charge you 10% more. So they wait, disrupting the supply chain further. 
I’m in the process of building a shop, and from the first of the year to the first of April when we signed and put money down, it went up about 10%. We just got our colors picked out for tin because metal prices are going to jump may first, to the tune of about $4000!

• Sad 1

Talked to our financial advisor yesterday. He claimed we need 1.2 mill new houses a year to replace those torn down or destroyed by various causes ect. According to him we have built around 800,000 for a number of years in a row, not sure how many but I got impression at least 4 or 5 years or more. He thinks this is not a bubble and housing demand will remain high for foreseeable future. Tho I'm sure that could depend on a number of factors. 

From what I understand, part of the shortage issue is that there are an undue amount of ships unable to unload their cargos. Which to my mind and past experience has a lot to do with intentional slowdowns by Unions, specifically longshoremen unions. But it'll all be blamed on the lockdowns and closures of small businesses and inability to follow the science of face diaper wearing. But I cannot verify this as I don't have any direct line of info on it. With our just in time economy even a glitch in one tiny area puts the haywire in motion of the entire chain, and skyrocketing costs, price gouging, shortages of all types follow. 

• Like 1

I have friends who are loggers. In the timber areas of Arkansas log prices are flat. No price increases.

Kinda reminds me of farming.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, acem said:

I have friends who are loggers. In the timber areas of Arkansas log prices are flat. No price increases.

Thx-Ace 

Poplar is bringing .80/ft here, which is great for poplar.  Heard that oak prices are pretty stout also.

The prices I asked about was for pine which is what dimension lumber is made from in Arkansas.

The local mom and pop sawmills haven't raised their prices.

Thx-Ace 

I am told that the price in the woods has hardly changed at all

2 hours ago, acem said:

Just a matter of time before the MEDIA is telling the cidiots that the farmer/rancher is getting rich from the rising food prices.

(It will be the ONLY time ever that the MEDIA will admit that food does NOT originate at the grocery store)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Talked to our financial advisor yesterday. He claimed we need 1.2 mill new houses a year to replace those torn down or destroyed by various causes ect. According to him we have built around 800,000 for a number of years in a row, not sure how many but I got impression at least 4 or 5 years or more. He thinks this is not a bubble and housing demand will remain high for foreseeable future. Tho I'm sure that could depend on a number of factors. 

so the replace every 2 culture needs to pollute more

they must be in the same realtor group as here

also the little investment we have ,that hasnt been stolen,the manhattan managers sent us a woke climate class to take.

puke time.... it starts like rain/sleep calming,then prods you to dump EVERYthing fossil based and buy $$$$ into ALL the green and JOBS !!! BS

AS is the USA is going to REMAIN the only "country" doing this NO DIFFERENCE BS, while the rest run all out

does ANYONE thing arabia and russia are going to sell less fuel,esp when USA will have to import 90% +

while gates besos pelosi jet around with all the lights on eating "real" meat

• 3 weeks later...

FB_IMG_1621041687113.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm glad I bought ammo in bulk when Trump was in office and the ammo prices were in the "realistic" range. Now I'm not rich enough to shoot and replace the damn things.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:59 PM, Art From Coleman said:

Just a matter of time before the MEDIA is telling the cidiots that the farmer/rancher is getting rich from the rising food prices.

(It will be the ONLY time ever that the MEDIA will admit that food does NOT originate at the grocery store)

When is the MEDIA going to pay my ducking BILLS!!!!

2 x 4 x 8' white wood studs now over $11 each at my local place.

Krud Kutter Gutter Cleaner not available.

Blue Carlon old work boxes back ordered for weeks.

Chlorine pool shock limited supply.

The WIX oil filter for my van is not available at O'Reilly's.  Got AC/Delco sub.

Gonna get interestinger and interestinger.

• Like 1