I could get a 30 Minute flight on an auththentic P-51 at the local Regional Airport on Saturday 24 April 2021

oleman

As of today, there are still P-51 flights available all afternoon on 24 April a 30 min session is $1,999. 50 Min $3,999.

My all time favorite Military Plane and I could actually get to go for a ride.

My excuse is that I get motion sick (their advertisement is pull some G's  and I don't want to stink up their plane.

I will go and visit and get some pictures. 

FIFI was also available for flights but sold out long ago, actually cheaper because more space available.

Hope the weather is good for the event.

FIFI flew over my house around 1030 today, the local regional airport is about 2 miles away as the planes fly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

How long are the planes going to be in McKinney? I have no desire to pay that kind of money (don't like flying anyway) but love the WW2 birds.

• Like 1

Chance of a lifetime I’d be seriously tempted to do the 50 minute 

When my buddy was in trade school in the early 80’s one of the students Uncle had a P51 that he could of gone for $500, no time limit, his FIL later had a relative of wife #2 that had a Harvard, Texan to you US guys that he got up in, this guy also had a Corsair but he never got to go up in it

• Like 1

I'm with hardtail on the do it now theme, your fave plus when would you have another chance to do this? 

One other thought could be how about 380.00 dollars worth and then jump out with a parachute?

If you have the scratch & think your stomach might be up to it, go for it. If anything, get some Dramamine. It's not like you have to fly the Mustang. I get airsick, too. If there's a chance of getting a ride on the P-61 when it's finished, I'm grabbing a bottle of Dramamine & putting a couple plastic shopping bags in my pocket just in case.

Mike

• Like 1

Your money won't go with you to heaven.

Do the "Bucket List" thing and at a minimum, do the short ride.

Take your camera along and report back to us.

This is an Order!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

You money won't go with you to heaven.

Do the "Bucket List" thing and at a minimum, do the short ride.

Take your camera along and report back to us.

This is an Order!

Concur!!  Especially since it'll be on the day I celebrate my grand entrance into the world, I want you to ride in an authentic WWII p51, as long as it won't break the bank.  And post pics too, of course!

22 hours ago, Redpower1256 said:

How long are the planes going to be in McKinney? I have no desire to pay that kind of money (don't like flying anyway) but love the WW2 birds.

Only Sat 24 April.

I was over there with camera in hand on 22 Apr 21 BUT  but the planes were secluded. I did not see a war bird from my vantage point and the potential viewing area area is not open to the public.  This airport is an overflow airport for DFW and a corporate airport for TI and other big local companies and supported by some of My tax $$.

Better do it while you can. 
I rode the Collins foundation’s B24 many years ago. Was a ton of money but was the best money I ever spent. 
my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

I looked up the fifi reference, is that the B29? There are only 2 flying, my favorite is the 17 which has quite a few still airworthy, cmon it's only money.

13 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

According to that web site there are roughly 300 complete planes known to be in existence.

173 in flying condition 

More than I thought there would be 

In contrast there are 11 flyable P-47s and 9 P-38s

• Like 1

A friend and I got flying lessons for high-school graduation presents in 1965.

We both got our licenses, and decided to go to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assn), fly in  that summer.

As an aside, that was the last year they held it in Rockford Ill. (Went to Oshkosh later on)

P-51 rides that summer were $20 for 20 minutes. Almost any one there could have been bought for $18 to $20 K.

DUMB__DUMB__DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

• Like 1