IH 1086 won't shift, won't stop

I'm looking for some help diagnosing a problem on a 1980 IH 1086 that has a mechanical diode TA.  When I started it today, I couldn't shift from neutral to hi, lo or reverse.  It would just grind gears.  I was able to get it started in gear and try different things, thinking the clutch was stuck to the flywheel.  With the TA in DD, depressing the clutch pedal slowed the ground speed to the same as having the TA engaged.    Did the TA fail?  Is a valve stuck in the MCV?

16 hours ago, ihtractor2021 said:

I'm looking for some help diagnosing a problem on a 1980 IH 1086 that has a mechanical diode TA.  When I started it today, I couldn't shift from neutral to hi, lo or reverse.  It would just grind gears.  I was able to get it started in gear and try different things, thinking the clutch was stuck to the flywheel.  With the TA in DD, depressing the clutch pedal slowed the ground speed to the same as having the TA engaged.    Did the TA fail?  Is a valve stuck in the MCV?

Be careful starting it in gear bad things can happen fast , When you did get it started in gear and it was moving Did depressing the clutch and hitting the brakes make it stop ? Has the tractor been used frequently ? I would make sure your main clutch is adjusted properly and also the transmission brake to because of the gears still wanting to grind and while your at it check T/A adjustments too doesn't sound like a issue with the T/A 

I put a new clutch in my 1586 years ago that made it only a few hours then one release finger broke so clutch wouldn't release, they gave me another pressure plate under warranty but I had to do the work again 

• Sad 1

I have also seen where the rivers break off that hold the clutch pads to the plate and a pad gets caught between another pad and the pressure plate.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, ihtractor2021 said:

With the TA in DD, depressing the clutch pedal slowed the ground speed to the same as having the TA engaged.    Did the TA fail?  Is a valve stuck in the MCV?

Pressing the clutch pedal down, activates the dump valve. Thats why ta shifted down.

Sounds like  you have clutch problems, throw out brg....as to why it doesn't stop.

Really the dump valve doesn't shift the TA, it completely takes the TA out of the picture. You're driving on the mechanical sprag clutch that is the main driving mechanism on the low side of the TA.

BE CAREFUL. With the dump valve activated, you have NOTHING holding you back on hills. Add in no brakes, and you're going for a ride.

BTDT. The dump valve was gummed up on my 1586 when I got it. Pulled it out of the building and it coasted down the small hill in front of the building. I figured I needed a TA. It was way out of adjustment and stuck open. It's still not quite right as the tractor shifts from low to high ta when I let out the clutch.