We seem to be on a run with eggs, up to about 5 doz a week (duck eggs, so they are mighty big) want to sell some off but don’t want to take orders. Thinking about just a stand at the end of the driveway with a cashbox.. anyone have similar? How does it work out? What’s  the going rate? 

If you leave a cash box and some eggs  at the end of the driveway here you will loose the eggs, the cash box, the sign, the post holding the sign, and then they will come back that night and steal the ducks , the chickens, the chicken coop, and everything else that isn’t welded down . 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Live about 8 miles from a somewhat populated town , 1/4 mile from town eggs are $2.50 dozen  2 miles from town $2.00 dozen

bout 6 miles from town $1.25 dozen  , I think I would have to tape 2 quarters on top of the egg carton to get rid of em

• Haha 1

Our mums and pumpkins have been self serve for 15 years.  We use a locked box with a slot in the top.  When we are home we empty as often as we can.  It is always fun to see where people are coming from when they leave checks.  I would say 99.99% of people are honest and the ones that leave extra cover the ones that don't.  One time we had someone break in the box and destroy it.  It was around dark and I don't think they got much.

I will say it gets a little scary when you are doing 4 figures or more a day.  If we started to get ripped off I think we would end it pretty quickly and go wholesale only.  We are about at the point we could pay someone for the season.

Duck eggs price?  I don't know?  Maybe $5 a dozen.  Chicken eggs here are $2 plus.  

8 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

If you leave a cash box and some eggs  at the end of the driveway here you will loose the eggs, the cash box, the sign, the post holding the sign, and then they will come back that night and steal the ducks , the chickens, the chicken coop, and everything else that isn’t welded down . 

I can shoot accurately to the road at my house even with the crossbow .... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Kevingweq said:

Live about 8 miles from a somewhat populated town , 1/4 mile from town eggs are $2.50 dozen  2 miles from town $2.00 dozen

bout 6 miles from town $1.25 dozen  , I think I would have to tape 2 quarters on top of the egg carton to get rid of em

Not here.  Huge farm to table opportunities.  I've had people stop and ask what we sell or have for sale.  Honestly I swear.

I feel like duck eggs are hard to come by and a premium product.  A few dozen a week is only a few customers to find and retain.

I should add the wild card is liability.  Our insurance wants to know everything we do from rented land to what we are direct marketing and how many people trapse around here.

• Like 1

My wife just informed me we have 18 dozen on hand , She is gonna boil up a dozen dozen tomorrow and feed em right back

to the cluckers ,  May have to try the eggs at end of driveway thing !!

eggs.thumb.jpg.60f440e3de642e43683f618dd2cbae39.jpg

• Haha 1

A story about duck eggs . 

So my friends in Santa Paula have a daughter with pet chickens . She is all grown up now but when she was little I told her about feeding Milo to them . 

I ship it out to her in coffee cans. 

Where does it all go and what is Milo  used for she asked. 

The coop manager said the bulk of it ends up in Mexico via the Mississippi River, but a high percentage goes to Japan because they feed it to ducks which causes the egg yolk to darken which makes them more valuable at the market.  

As Paul would say,

“And now you know the rest of the story “

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

A story about duck eggs . 

So my friends in Santa Paula have a daughter with pet chickens . She is all grown up now but when she was little I told her about feeding Milo to them . 

I ship it out to her in coffee cans. 

Where does it all go and what is Milo  used for she asked. 

The coop manager said the bulk of it ends up in Mexico via the Mississippi River, but a high percentage goes to Japan because they feed it to ducks which causes the egg yolk to darken which makes them more valuable at the market.  

As Paul would say,

“And now you know the rest of the story “

Thats cool! I didn’t know that

I have 12 dozen in the fridge at the moment including the 21 that were laid today. I sell primarily at work, $3.00 a dozen and about 10 dozen per week average.Makes enough cash to pay for feed and even a little gas for commuting to work.  Every dozen contains about 8 varying shades of brown a white egg or two and at least one green Auracana egg. Family's with young children love them, Easter in every box! Duck eggs were a hit but only for a short time, too big for recipes maybe?. 

Duck-chicken-duck for reference... you do get a lot more for your money. 

C364B61A-7E94-4BCB-9CC2-46E53AD67DFD.jpeg

BAF7F76C-AC1A-4C6A-8983-B4DEEC85D15D.jpeg

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

C’mon man!

thats called redistribution of wealth !!😂😂

• Haha 4

My wife sells eggs where she works.  Gets $4 per dozen, sells about 10 dozen a week.  Chickens are her hobby, there are around 50 or 55 here.  She does some buying, selling and trading on different kinds of chickens.  I would suggest finding a couple of steady customers and dealing just with them, it will cut down on the people stopping to see if you have any for sale.  Most of her egg customers want a certain number per week, every week and do not want to get shorted.

Neighbor just hangs a sign under his mailbox when has them for sale this year so far he is at 2 dollars. Another guy I know takes them to work and has regulars that go to his house on a regular basis.

When I was a kid Dad sold eggs and whole milk out of a fridge on the back porch on the honor system we had everything from iou notes to bags of fish left for payment. This was back when you could trust people there was a 12ga , 16ga and a 22 standing in the corner of the porch never lost anything.

Brown eggs, white eggs, dark yokes, light yokes....... sounds racist to me..... 

But....... a relative of mine always enjoys growing a huge garden. He does the cash box thing. He puts all the excess on 3 or 4 picnic tables. I've never heard of any complaints. But, he does NOT do that with sweet corn. He tried that once and ended up with a situation similar to what Lorenzo described. Sweet corn disappeared and no money in the box. 

Sold eggs to coworkers and friends, relatives.  One coworker  recently retired, about same time another's stepdaughter now has chickens and mother-in-law got tired of dragging them to all her friends. I have a glut currently. My mom , her mom and my kids our only steady customers at moment. Tried advertising years ago. Had 1 or 2 takers that wanted regular deliveries.....except when they didnt....or they wouldn't be there even tho "I'm always home" 🤦‍♂️

Contact a locally owned restaurant or two, and try and have them as a steady customer. Especially if they serve breakfast, nobody cares what the egg shell looked like when they are scrambled w/bacon and toast.

• Like 1

I'm guessing you don't have any produce auctions near you.  The eggs bring good money at our local one. 

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Our mums and pumpkins have been self serve for 15 years.  We use a locked box with a slot in the top.  When we are home we empty as often as we can.  It is always fun to see where people are coming from when they leave checks.  I would say 99.99% of people are honest and the ones that leave extra cover the ones that don't.  One time we had someone break in the box and destroy it.  It was around dark and I don't think they got much.

I will say it gets a little scary when you are doing 4 figures or more a day.  If we started to get ripped off I think we would end it pretty quickly and go wholesale only.  We are about at the point we could pay someone for the season.

Duck eggs price?  I don't know?  Maybe $5 a dozen.  Chicken eggs here are $2 plus.  

I guess I should get serious about my pumpkins we just put a donation box some times they give $20 a pumpkin other times they take 8 pumpkins for $20 the most I ever sold in a day was $680-690 and that was without a price for anything and that was almost a full wagon of pumpkins and some speciality stuff like blues and pinks and a couple dozen apple gourds. I have had good enough luck but I have a neighbor's house that over looks it and someone is always home there doing something outside. We check the box 3-4 times a day in a unlocked box I figured if they need it more than me that they probably have bigger problems then I do   I have had really good luck for the 3 years I have done it now and hopefully can continue for years to come 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Lorenzo, you forgot to add that they would break into your shop, steal the tools you used to build the chicken coop. As well as anything that can be used to cook meth.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Youngred2000 said:

I guess I should get serious about my pumpkins we just put a donation box some times they give $20 a pumpkin other times they take 8 pumpkins for $20 the most I ever sold in a day was $680-690 and that was without a price for anything and that was almost a full wagon of pumpkins and some speciality stuff like blues and pinks and a couple dozen apple gourds. I have had good enough luck but I have a neighbor's house that over looks it and someone is always home there doing something outside. We check the box 3-4 times a day in a unlocked box I figured if they need it more than me that they probably have bigger problems then I do   I have had really good luck for the 3 years I have done it now and hopefully can continue for years to come 

We used to grow pumpkins gourds etc for the auction.  The farm stand is completely different.  Auction we wanted consistency.  Stand we wanted variety.   The more inconsistent the better.  Sounds like you have a good thing going.

When I was 12-15 I sold eggs from the house and had a 60-70 hen flock I just did a sign with hours like (FRESH EGGS $2.50 DOZ 4-8PM MON-FRI NOON-8 WEEKENDS) and that worked really well then my local customers started talking and word got out and I sold everything I could give so I was up to about 120 chickens but then we got rats bad!! So I sold the hens and we got some good cats and last summer I bought some chicks and started selling eggs again last November but no one was buying so I sold to a food shelf for $1 a dozen and sold some to a couple friends and maybe broke even until February I had a CL add eggs for $2.50 doz and I had the add on sense december and I had a guy call and say I will buy as many as you can get so last month we added another 100 hens so now we're running 175-180 layers and got 200 chicks coming mid may and another 200 planned for mid June and a egg buying agreement from August this year too august next year for 80 doz a week at a fixed price. Also we restarted giving a few doz to some friends and then they tell there neighbor's and co workers ect, so we have to limit who gets how many dozen per week until end of July when the pullets come on so that's my current egg situation we went from having to practicly give them away to not even have any for myself to use in what seams like overnight. If done right eggs can be a great side income to fund other projects. If I were in your shoes I would start by asking some friends and neighbors if they want to try some and hand out a few cartons and make a sign for the end of the road and go from there. I used to sell to a couple of ethnic food rings too they did a lot of baking and liked the fresh eggs. Also a lot of people don't know duck and turkey eggs are really good for baking so you might have something there too 

• Thanks 1