450 farmall with a Perkins

rcb

I need another tractor like I need another hole in my head, but there's a Farmall 450 with a Perkins diesel in it. I believe there was a company that made kits to do that in Ms and such back then, wasn't there? I've been very reluctant to go look at it because I know what the outcome would be. :D But it does peak my curiosity.

I believe it was Perkins that directly offered a kit to fit their L4 engines in the M. There was also a kit to add a P3 to the H. Hope there's someone here from England that can fill you in better on the details.

Mike

• Like 1

Sheppard was the only M conversion I have heard of

• Like 1

It was July 1969. My Dad had a Farmall 400 bought new that was getting it’s first engine overhaul. In the shop was a 450 with a Cummins 4 cylinder. Too much engine for rear end according to owner.  He pulled a silage chopper and said it was good for that. Half the power through PTO and as needed to pull wagon and chopper up the hill. 

• Like 1

I found this example:

Farmall H Perkins Conversion

And this here:

A little more info

I had thought I had seen reference to it in the other forum not too long ago. MJ's comment about half way down is what I had thought of when I read your initial post. No idea if he participates on this forum or not. MJ would be the one to ask as I'm fairly certain he's posted pictures from the brochure pertaining to the matter. Also seems to be a who's who when it comes to British IH tractors & equipment.

Mike

• Like 1

I have a 4-99 Perkins diesel I would part with cheap if someone wanted to try this.

It is a 4 cylinder 99 cubic inch engine off an old reefer unit.