Jump to content

Family vacation stops


ihfarmer1586
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, my family is taking a trip soon, driving from Michigan to South Carolina.  Planning on seeing the Ark in Kentucky, and stopping by Monticello and Roanoke too.  My kids are aged 19 months to nine years.  My wife and I enjoy American history and the great American outdoors.  Do you all have any suggestions for sights to check out on our trip?  Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Indiana, if you come down 69, do yourself a favor and stop by the ACD museum in Auburn. Very close to it is the NATMUS which I actually like better and is in another old Auburn, Cord Duesenberg building. The NATMUS is more casual but either one is a multi hour affair. There are a lot of neat little towns along the way, but off the interstate by a bit. Aside from its location, the Children's Museum in Indianapolis is pretty cool but basically an all day stop. In Kentucky, the Cumberland Gap is interesting. Lots of parks and such in the general area.

Also while in KY, you might check out Claudia Sanders' Dinner House, which is the only place to get the original Kentucky Fried chicken and gravy. You can read up on it, but interesting part of American history.

Jellico as you come into Tennessee is a nice/brief stop. Again, so many cool little towns and areas. I'm at a loss as you get into South Carolina. I can't recall ever going there.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know if this would interest you or not. But in Charleston there is Patriots Point where they have the U.S.S Yorktown, a World War II Essex class aircraft carrier that you can walk around. They also have the U.S.S Laffey, a World War II Allen Summer Class destroyer that took a ferocious pounding during the Battle of Okinawa. 6 Kamikaze planes hit it along with 4 bombs and it survived. There is also a submarine there but there is some type of contraversy about the state wanting to sink it as a artificial reef and people not wanting that s I don't know where that stands. 

There's also the U.S Air Force museum in Dayton Ohio that's a cool place to visit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please do keep is posted about your stops! I want to go see the ark, before someone gets offended by it that is..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/20/2021 at 9:34 PM, ihfarmer1586 said:

Hey guys, my family is taking a trip soon, driving from Michigan to South Carolina.  Planning on seeing the Ark in Kentucky, and stopping by Monticello and Roanoke too.  My kids are aged 19 months to nine years.  My wife and I enjoy American history and the great American outdoors.  Do you all have any suggestions for sights to check out on our trip?  Thanks!

There's Fort Boonesborough Living History Museum in Kentucky that my daughter loved when she was ten or eleven. https://www.fortboonesboroughlivinghistory.org/

I can't remember what interstate it was, but driving from Baltimore to Morgantown was gorgeous. Don't know if it's on your way.

If you think you'd like to see the Air Museum in Dayton, budget at least a whole day. Otherwise, you're running through to make it all before close.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

im not sure where the bible history museum is at exactly but if in the neighborhood its work it from what i have heard - enjoy the trip - safety and travel mercies - we plan to do the ark and BHM on of these days with the family 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH has an excellent military aircraft display   

I would certainly hope so, since it IS the "National Museum of the Air Force"?  (There is NO charge for admission)

If for nothing else, just to see the surviving XB-70 Valkyrie.

To visit there, IS at the very top of my wish list, which will now probably NEVER get done.  (If I ever did, I would probably take 3-4 days, as I did at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, and would undoubtedly be so amped afterwards, that I would continue on up into Michigan, to see what is going on 33 years after the fact, in Kalkaska, Traverse City, and Grayling)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 8:30 AM, vtfireman85 said:

Please do keep is posted about your stops! I want to go see the ark, before someone gets offended by it that is..

No worries, the woke crowd doesn’t do anything Biblical related as God doesn’t exist in their world 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I would certainly hope so, since it IS the "National Museum of the Air Force"?  (There is NO charge for admission)

If for nothing else, just to see the surviving XB-70 Valkyrie.

To visit there, IS at the very top of my wish list, which will now probably NEVER get done.  (If I ever did, I would probably take 3-4 days, as I did at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, and would undoubtedly be so amped afterwards, that I would continue on up into Michigan, to see what is going on 33 years after the fact, in Kalkaska, Traverse City, and Grayling)

The B-36 is impressive as well

IMO the Air Force Museum is better than the Air and Space in DC

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, ihrondiesel said:

the Children's Museum 

 

Is this a retirement home?  LOL

:D

It's pretty impressive, even for adults. I worked there many years ago. I don't think it's as fun as it used to be, but still a fun day. They have a massive collection of vintage toys, but most is in the archives. The Lilly family is who founded it, more or less and unsurprisingly, some of their oldest pieces came from them. Their carousel there is their center piece.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...