Off color tractor AC175

Youngred2000

It's a 175 with the 55 horse perkins four cylinder fenders are the only thing that is beat up 540 pto only dual remotes 6 #100lb weights still has the factory top link and runs like a swiss watch. I am thinking of using for possibly a 9 foot haybine and raking hay and moving hay wagons. I been looking for a little four cylinder diesel for a while and have had good luck with our two other alley cats I have been offered this one for the price of a gas 656 or gas 3010. Anyone have any experience with the 4 cyl allis tractors?  

IMG_20210420_171815201_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210420_173625941.jpg

IMG_20210420_173615289.jpg

Does it have true live power or do you have to use the Power Director? The 190xt didn’t have true live power. 

Doesn't look like too bad of a machine. It is missing the anti-sway blocks on the three point, not a huge deal but will cost $100-$200 if you need them. I grew up on one of these and a WD. Dad bought the 175 new when I was 7 or 8. Pretty cool watching a brand new tractor delivered. Have always loved the styling of the 100 series AC's. Partly due to Dad buying the 175 new and all the trips to negotiate the price I assume.

This one has the 'Crop Hustler' decal which would indicate a fairly early model. Pretty sure ours didn't have it, it was a 74 model.? They started out with a 4.236 Perkins and went to a 4.248 in later production. Hard starters in cold weather like all Allis diesels. I suppose your mileage could vary on that but I've yet to see one that starts like a Red one in cooler temps.

Dad's 175 did have hydraulic pump trouble, I was too young to remember the specifics but know that weighed heavily on his decision to trade it on the 6080. Between that and one of his friends telling him he should have bought a 185 from the git-go. He would go on to have two 185's, still have the last one, love it. 175's are painfully slow on the road, think 14 mph with 18.4-28's.

Really wish I had a picture I could post of that ol' 175.

• Like 1

There are still a few around here. Grandpa and Uncle Had a 200 and a 190XT that got used pulling grain wagons, putting out hay, mowing, and grinding feed for decades. They are still around. I actually had both out moving things around last Sunday afternoon. 

That is an earlier one, having the front axle wishbone going back. They redesigned the front end and moved the hyd pump in front of crank, and used a different front axle assy with a forward facing wishbone. That one looks to be in nice shape. Guessing it's early enough to be a 236 or a 248.

I have some seat time on the 3 cylinder 160.  The one we used had the live pto.  When you went down the road you had to hold pressure on the shifter or it would come out of gear.  It started real easy regardless of temperature.  I wouldn't be afraid of it as long as the trans and brakes are good.

Our township had a 175 on a ditch mower probably 10 years. It was a '80 they bought it new. Never saw it stranded along the side of the road. Lol. That's the only one I've ever seen to this day in person. If a 175 is half as good as the 185s were, I'd buy it. That one has a nice grill yet and what looks like the original offset muffler yet. 

34 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

No mcv or TA

what more could you ask for

Brakes might be a start.

• Haha 1