D310 engine assembly

I acquired another 706 that my grandfather bought new in 1967.  I have completely disassembled the engine and found the bearings and sleeves to be within factory specifications for tolerance.  I tore the engine apart because When I acquired the tractor it was not running and when I went to drain the oil, there was a heavy crust at the bottom of the oil pan.  The tractor was parked due to a bad injection pump.

After a thorough cleaning of all oil passages, I would like to reassemble the engine with the same bearings and rings that I removed putting them all back in the same positions they came out of.

Should I hone the cylinders prior to reassembly with the old rings?

I have rebuilt my grandfather’s other 706 D310 with all new parts, so I am very familiar with the engine.  Any tips or advice on reassembly of used parts is appreciated.

935D57F9-1670-42D0-B728-C7C97105954E.jpeg

A9761086-CFB7-4B78-A76E-65F6149ED4B5.jpeg

7EE408A4-B349-4D85-BF93-DFEFEAC68FA8.jpeg

40 yrs ago we always re hatched the sleeves...but also new rings would have been $30

try hastings direct

de ridged < 002 ,then ceramic ball hone on gumbie

Engine bearings aren't that expensive, and are the backbone of the engine.  I'd put in new rod and main bearings.  You're already this far, why skimp out?

All new bearings and rings for sure , Plus making sure everything else is in spec and free of imperfections 

If they are the original German bearings they may be better than what you can buy new.

If they are in spec and look good I would reuse them.

Thx-Ace 

I appreciate the advice.  By the time I buy a gasket set, bearings and rings ($680), I might as well just buy the full rebuild kit for $1,000 that includes pistons, sleeves and wrist pins.

I was hoping to keep some more of this engine original, but it sounds like re-utilizing parts isn't advisable.  Thanks again for all the input.

I would change the sleeve seals in the block since this far.

That can prevent a leak in the future and those are just to old.

Then, at the least, a set of new rings and deglazing the cylinders.

Sounds like the bearings are useable but the rings are not.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, 706German said:

I appreciate the advice.  By the time I buy a gasket set, bearings and rings ($680), I might as well just buy the full rebuild kit for $1,000 that includes pistons, sleeves and wrist pins.

I was hoping to keep some more of this engine original, but it sounds like re-utilizing parts isn't advisable.  Thanks again for all the input.

Would like to know where you are going to get your kit. I just got done with one from an a&I kit, not good parts, but it was the cheapest, and the tractor resembles what it is... Customer wants what they want, and it was still $1675.

I will be using Anglo Parts that are manufactured in the UK.  They made the last kit that I used for a D310 and the quality seemed good.  You can buy the kit from Tractor Parts Direct.  

Search ebay for D310 kit and you will see several options for less than $1,000, or you can go to the tractor parts direct website

29 minutes ago, 706German said:

I will be using Anglo Parts that are manufactured in the UK.  They made the last kit that I used for a D310 and the quality seemed good.  You can buy the kit from Tractor Parts Direct.  

Search ebay for D310 kit and you will see several options for less than $1,000, or you can go to the tractor parts direct website

They have parts for all German Diesels? ( D 358 is something I'd like to know)

Doubt your gonna plow 160 acres a year with it ! I'd do O-rings like diesel dr said and use rest and not hone it , just put pistons back in same hole. If the bearings don't show wear they are way better than new stuff!

I do this with the gas start diesel motors that are hard to find parts for .

Never reused a head gasket YET!

O-rings, and check sleeves for pitting.   I'm with the DR on this one!   I'd hate to get it back together and have the sleeves start leaking antifreeze in 2 years.

On 4/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, Nebraska1206 said:

Engine bearings aren't that expensive, and are the backbone of the engine.  I'd put in new rod and main bearings.  You're already this far, why skimp out?

AND CAMSHAFT BEARINGS...