Interesting wood splitter

I cant seem to find anything on it, just some random thing a friend sent, i don’t even really know what reddit is. 

• Like 2

Bet it won’t work on twisted up Elm, but it’s cool. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I like that one, but this is still my favorite 'cobbled' wood splitter.

I keep cringing thinking about the needles getting broken.  Obviously the knotter was removed. 

• Haha 2
22 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I like that one, but this is still my favorite 'cobbled' wood splitter.

Nothing could possibly go wrong there . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I keep cringing thinking about the needles getting broken.  Obviously the knotter was removed. 

And here you were, hoping someone had built a log splitter that tied the firewood in neat bundles for you!  Maybe if you get together with Seth, Sid, and Mark you guys can perfect it! 😂

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

And here you were, hoping someone had built a log splitter that tied the firewood in neat bundles for you!  Maybe if you get together with Seth, Sid, and Mark you guys can perfect it! 😂

I am not sure that it would be a good idea to get those guys together AND involve a wood splitter.  Especially given the way that Mark and his Nephew Seth have been interacting lately!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think that wood splitter is orders of magnatude more dangerous than the tapered spiral wood screw style splitter that bolts to rear wheels of garden tractors, cars, pickups, etc.  I remember the CC guys blew a fuse when Charlie posted a picture on IHCC.com.

A long time friend has a flywheel splitter.  It has a vertical frame much like a large shop press that supports a crankshaft with a flywheel at one end and a large flat belt pulley at the other end.  There are two wedges on connecting rods that cycle up and down in between rails.  This apparatus has the instant appearance that it would remove limbs in a quick and gruesome manner!!!

I haven't seen a piece of wood yet that I would split. My outdoor boiler has a big door and if it goes in the door, it doesnt get split. After 16 heating seasons and a lot of big blocks burnt through it, she is still going strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I think that wood splitter is orders of magnatude more dangerous than the tapered spiral wood screw style splitter that bolts to rear wheels of garden tractors, cars, pickups, etc.  I remember the CC guys blew a fuse when Charlie posted a picture on IHCC.com.

When I was a young buck, I hand split all our firewood. 

Macho man, you know.

Then my buddy lent me his 3pt corkscrew splitter.

I respected it and wore short sleeves and never any gloves.

Then turn around and dismount my tractor with the pto running an implement. 

Here`s yer sign. 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, MTO said:

When I was a young buck, I hand split all our firewood. 

Macho man, you know.

Then my buddy lent me his 3pt corkscrew splitter.

I respected it and wore short sleeves and never any gloves.

Then turn around and dismount my tractor with the pto running an implement. 

Here`s yer sign. 

Dad built a log splitter,  mostly to split wood to give away. I got one load back when we still used our fireplace.  Dad welded me up a splitting wedge, and a steel post driver to split wood,  otherwize I used a splitting ax, like a splitting wedge with a fiberglass handle.

A couple of our PTO implements didn't have pto shields,  most were home-made,  post hole digger, it was a Continental, the pto shaft was pretty well protected by supports for the main frame, and it was as safe or safer than any PTO implement when you were in the tractor seat.  Bale elevator should have had something over the pto shaft, the sickle mower had so many exposed moving parts I'm surprised Dad let me start mowing hay at 10-11 yrs old.  Everything else, the bush-hog, combine, corn picker, sprayer all had shields. Hay rakes, spreader & planter were ground driven. Plow, disk, & harrow had no pto.

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Bet it won’t work on twisted up Elm, but it’s cool. 

X-2!!! Very little of the wood I cut would work on any of these splitters.

• Like 2

Remember to always wear you wood splittin' safety visor and keep the pointy spinny thing as close to your crotch as possibel.😆

I love it... he can split the wood that doesn't need to be split and can't split the stuff that does!

I want to see a knarly piece of white oak about 18'" in diameter in that hay baler contraption.😵

My Farmer Buddy, junk collector, came across a log splitter that was driven by a set of rollers that used the truck engine for power. Had a large cone screw to do the splitting. Basically the operator put a rear wheel on the rollers and then feed a log onto the screw. After I told him my life was worth more than that, he lost all interest. I believe he had visions of me being the operator and he would be the safety director.  My Mom told me that Granpa ran a buzz saw off the rear wheel of their 28 Chevy BUT it had  a flat belt pulley that replaced one of the drive wheels.

We got a cheaper log splitter at a sale. I am going to flip it over, remove the valve, put a skid loader Q-tach on it and new hoses and use it for our monster pieces we don't want to lift up for the regular splitter . I think the screw type would be awesome on a mini-X boom.

Some of these splitters on youtube I refuse to watch as they look like introductions to the ER room 

• Haha 1

The local Hutterite Colony shop is heated with a wood stove.

They feed it with the payloader and it gets about a 1/3 of a tree every three to four days.

Less cutting and splitting this way.

The Hoots seem to build things on a more grand scale.

9 minutes ago, bitty said:

We got a cheaper log splitter at a sale. I am going to flip it over, remove the valve, put a skid loader Q-tach on it and new hoses and use it for our monster pieces we don't want to lift up for the regular splitter . I think the screw type would be awesome on a mini-X boom.

Some of these splitters on youtube I refuse to watch as they look like introductions to the ER room 

A guy I work with has one set up like you described. It works well for quartering big pieces but it is still faster to do the final splitting on a regular splitter. 

9 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Remember to always wear you wood splittin' safety visor and keep the pointy spinny thing as close to your crotch as possibel.😆

I kept waiting for Red Green to show up.  But then realize its real and nuts.

The blue winch is pretty neat and easy enough to not be fast/scary.

I love the spring loaded ones.  From eastern blok lands.  But i am a firm believer in fossil fuel fired furnaces 

• Like 2