D-310 Injection pump and injectors

looking at a 706 tractor and its not running, they tell me it will spin and seem like it wants and trys to fire up but wont, Dads guess is water in the fuel as this thing has sat awhile, but wondering worse case situation water in fuel has ruined the injection pump and possibly injectors, how common are these things to get anymore? Dad says parts for these engines were getting hard to find 25 yrs ago, he mentioned there was a kit on converting it over to a roostamaster pump but it was expensive 

just trying to figure out how much it could possibly cost to fix if something is bad Thanks

The Robert Bosch pump is very expensive to work on, if you can get parts.

The Roosa Master conversion was iffy, at best.

There are conversions to newer style Robert Bosch's that seem to work far better.

I have never heard a converted one run or talk with anybody that has done one.

You do need a thick checkbook when dealing with Robert Bosch.

There can be water in it but if it has the new low sulfur fuel in it, things are probably rusted and stuck internally.

Loosen the injection lines at the nozzles, crank it over and if no fuel, then the pump needs work.

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The Robert Bosch pump is very expensive to work on, if you can get parts.

The Roosa Master conversion was iffy, at best.

There are conversions to newer style Robert Bosch's that seem to work far better.

I have never heard a converted one run or talk with anybody that has done one.

You do need a thick checkbook when dealing with Robert Bosch.

There can be water in it but if it has the new low sulfur fuel in it, things are probably rusted and stuck internally.

Loosen the injection lines at the nozzles, crank it over and if no fuel, then the pump needs work.

Thats what we were kinda wondering things could already be damaged, going to look at it this week and see they told me to make an offer but i want to know the fuel issues first, Any idea on what it could cost to redo a pump? I'm probably gonna have to so state side to get one i doubt anyone in canada having one 

Not saying that anyone that posts or reads on this great web site is a dummy..

But I've never seen a diesel engine with such a specific cold start procedure.

Push the fuel shut off in to soon or give it any any throttle too soon and it will stall out.

The fuel shut off on a German diesel should be pulled out all the way until you hit the spring loaded "Stop".

That is the overfuel position where the engine is started.

To shut it off, you pull it past the spring loaded stop and that kills the tractor.

That is how those are designed. "diesel choke" on the excess fuel for starting, and throttle must be no more than 1/3 or so open.

it could very well be somthing this simple, i havent seen the tractor yet i'm just going by what the owners are tell me so far, they just say sounds like it wants to fire but wont, once i thought about it abit my 1066 can be like that if you dont open the throttle 

this was my grandpa tractor so i'm really interested to bring it back the the farm, not sure what i'm gonna do with it but sentimental reason is all i need to buy it, hopefully we can make a deal 

I have 3 german diesels: 544, 756, 826.  All 3 start the best at 1/4 throttle, with the lever on the side of the pump just engaging the spring loaded pin.

If it is a family tractor buy it. You will figure the rest out. Pumps are out there. Pump head parts nla but if it's not damaged or worn too badly they can be resealed.  Of course err on the side of caution in regards to how much you may spend on fuel system. But if price is within reason you might regret not buying it later.

Our little D179 engine will start about anywhere the controls are put when the weather is above 70F. When it's cold out below 40F you have to fish for the correct starting control position.  This is after a major overhaul in 2009.  Before that the starter was augmented with a 3/8" tow chain.

well i bought it paid abit more than i wanted to but i got it so thats the main thing, looking at it we didnt dig to deep at it i just made an offer as is and i'll take it away 

turns over well but didnt smoke right away at the first spin then rest then the second time it smoked abit not much and third time it didnt either, not to sure thinking somthing simple but wont know till we get it home, check all the fuel lines and filter will be the first thing 

I updated my 706 to the Bosch VE pump from the 1st gen Cummins. I took a little work but was well worth the upgrade. Had to change to the pump flange bolt pattern on the engine from 2 bolt to 3 bolt and I had the pump hub taper reground to fit the larger VE pump shaft. Set the pump for a new number 1 because IH and Cummins are different. The new pump does not have a timing window so I timed it with a indicator like a Cummins to match up with the 14 degrees IH timing. Hooked up the plumbing and she starts and runs great. 

• Like 2