Nice Doggy

Brady Boy

No, they don't bite.  Came in second place with the neighbor's German Shepherds, last Friday.  Was out fixing wind damage to the backyard fence.  Neighbor lady came out with her dogs to chat, the dogs rushed to within about 10 feet, barking, but trotted back to the lady.  We had a chat, then the lady walked back to stretch out in a lounge chair, and I lost track of her and the dogs.  Some time later the large male did a hit and run on me.  Guess he came around some bushes, through an opening in the fence, and nailed me in the upper left arm.  I was down on my knees, facing the other direction. The pics are reverse selfies, so it looks like my right arm.  I was bleeding like a stuck hog, so the lady called 911 and the fire department came to give me some first aid, but they said I needed some medical attention.  Wife took me to an Express Care facility, but they only do appointments.  Express??  Drove to an Urgent Care facility, check in, but after talking to others in the waiting room, decided to drive to the Hospital ER.  3 hours of waiting and about 30 minutes of medical attention.  Bandages in Triage was getting soggy, so they redressed my arm, and sent me back out to the waiting.  Got to see a PA finally, a med tech cleaned and dressed my are (3rd time), got a tetanus shot, some andibiotics, and given a phone number to Animal Protective Services.  ****, the animals were doing great without any protection.  Couple of good neighbors, came over yesterday, and finished my fence building. Another bump on the road of life.  BK.

4-16-21 (2) Holy Family ER, 3rd bandage.jpg

4-16-21 (1) after ER.jpg

• Sad 11

That always stinks, done animal control for my town for probably 15 years, the most unpleasant miserable job in the world, fortunately infrequent. I hope you heal up and that things work out with the neighbors and their dog. Shepherds are great dogs but like many breeds require the right owners. 

• Like 3

I'm probably going to be the odd man out but dog needs to be put down.  What if it hits a child in the neck next time around.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Dog probably has a Gold Wing and hates Harley riders . 

German shepherd, so its probably a beemer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

I'm probably going to be the odd man out but dog needs to be put down.  What if it hits a child in the neck next time around.

I'm not going to say your odd man out because you make a very strong point, its up to brady how he handles this but the owners need a very strong talking to, from one post we don't know the everyday dealings so for myself I will not take a lead on the reaction.

But Brady's first sentence is what all owners say especially when you are out walking, I can't count the times when out with 8 pound joe that people want their dog to come and play, flat answer no, and I pick him up, don't wanna, don't hafta, will not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brady Boy said:

No, they don't bite.  Came in second place with the neighbor's German Shepherds, last Friday.  Was out fixing wind damage to the backyard fence.  Neighbor lady came out with her dogs to chat, the dogs rushed to within about 10 feet, barking, but trotted back to the lady.  We had a chat, then the lady walked back to stretch out in a lounge chair, and I lost track of her and the dogs.  Some time later the large male did a hit and run on me.  Guess he came around some bushes, through an opening in the fence, and nailed me in the upper left arm.  I was down on my knees, facing the other direction. The pics are reverse selfies, so it looks like my right arm.  I was bleeding like a stuck hog, so the lady called 911 and the fire department came to give me some first aid, but they said I needed some medical attention.  Wife took me to an Express Care facility, but they only do appointments.  Express??  Drove to an Urgent Care facility, check in, but after talking to others in the waiting room, decided to drive to the Hospital ER.  3 hours of waiting and about 30 minutes of medical attention.  Bandages in Triage was getting soggy, so they redressed my arm, and sent me back out to the waiting.  Got to see a PA finally, a med tech cleaned and dressed my are (3rd time), got a tetanus shot, some andibiotics, and given a phone number to Animal Protective Services.  ****, the animals were doing great without any protection.  Couple of good neighbors, came over yesterday, and finished my fence building. Another bump on the road of life.  BK.

4-16-21 (2) Holy Family ER, 3rd bandage.jpg

4-16-21 (1) after ER.jpg

Damn man that is painful, bicep injuries are tender, take care Brady, be careful.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

It’s tough, in VT if the dog kills your chicken you can order it put down regardless of its owner or owners wishes.. or you can just shoot it. If it bites you or your non livestock pet, it kind of has to go on an individual basis through channels local hearing, might go to court.. drags on until either someone shoots it and heaves it in a lake somewhere or they just give up, either way it ruins the human relationships. 

• Like 4

I’m sure it’s state by state on rules and regs but I know here the dog must be quarantined if it doesn’t have up to date vaccinations with proof.  I would have pushed for the dog to be put down or have done it myself.  There is no place in this world for a mean dog in my opinion.
Sorry for the pain Bill. Hang in there buddy. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

I'm the second person he's hit in the last 4 months.  BK.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I had my last Shepherd put down because he did the same thing to the UPS man. If they do it once, the chances are way up there they will do it again. By calling animal control and at least getting it labeled a vicious dog, you might save someone else the pain you are experiencing now. I've had 3 Shepherds, 2 were fine, the 3rd was totally unpredictable.

• Like 6

Sorry that happened. My son was bit in the back of the leg while picking up surplus seed corn " that dog has never bitten anyone" total denial. Owner never did anything and it was 250 miles from where we live so he never got even.

On the other side of the coin my red heeler only bit one person and he would have bit him again anytime he came around. He was the only human the dog was ever aggressive towards. Found out years later he had hit him with a stick around 3 years before he got bit.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Dogs act completely different when their owners are not around

Some keep their distance and bark, some hide, some get vicious

In the case of mine she welcomes strangers into the house and shows them where the dog treats are... i am fine with that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I am NOT saying vicious dogs should not be put down, what i will say, in my years of dealing with situations like this is that sometimes it isn’t the dogs fault, I’ve seen kids poking a pit bull on a 4’ chain with spike fence posts ( the neighbors pit bull) and their father demanding i shoot the dog on site because it bit his kid. I told him i felt the dog was provoked and would do no such thing. I put in a lot of effort to see that dog got a new home. It is doing fine now and has 2 little kids under 6 to play with and loves them to pieces. Some dogs get a screw loose, others get a bad rap. 
just saying its a situational thing, you cant give it a 1 fits all solution to every dog bite. 
having had to take a dog to be destroyed from its owner, it is not something i take lightly. 

• Like 4

My friends single sister had a solid white pit bull

One night two guys broke into her house and she came out of her bedroom and pointed and said " get um bear"

Dog runs over to them, rolls over on its back to be petted 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Brady Boy said:

I'm the second person he's hit in the last 4 months.  BK.

Ok thats a problem, now you have to look at the fact what if it was a small child, tough decision but it should be out of the owners hands now.

Just my 2cents.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

I'm not going to say your odd man out because you make a very strong point, its up to brady how he handles this but the owners need a very strong talking to, from one post we don't know the everyday dealings so for myself I will not take a lead on the reaction.

But Brady's first sentence is what all owners say especially when you are out walking, I can't count the times when out with 8 pound joe that people want their dog to come and play, flat answer no, and I pick him up, don't wanna, don't hafta, will not.

I've had a couple chats with Spokane County, I'm the second guy to get it.  Last Dec a jogger got it too.  Another neighbor saw the jogger get it, and went out with a club, but the dog slipped back under the fence.  The jogger and I have both had talks with animal control.    I've been told I would be contacted by Officer Callahan (honest to God his real name.)  The dog is a digger too.  BK.

• Like 6

Callahan is guaranteed to take care of it

Well what do you say pup are you feeling lucky today

• Haha 5

I'm a big fan of labs. I've never seen one that wouldn't lick someone to death. Insurance companies seem to agree.

• Like 5

2x this dog is a threat to the community.  It is going to happen again.  Maybe years maybe less but I would be afraid it will happen again.  A huge liability for the owners. 

• Like 2

I got nailed by a neighbor's lab. Only time I've ever been bitten by a dog. We were just standing in his driveway and she snuck behind me. He was animal control for about six towns at the time.

• Like 2