Changing to international 238 motor to 4BT cummins engine

I'm changing out the International 238 engine in a International TD8 dozer. I'm told I can use a 4BT cummons motor to replace it. My 238 is a Turbo Diesel engine.

1 st. Does the 4BT non turbo motor the same internal parts as the 4BT turbo motor, so I can just add a turbo to it and have it work, or does it have different internal parts that will not take the extra power from the turbo?

2 nd. What are the adapters (bell housing, fly wheel and'or center bushing) I need to make the conversion from the International transmission to the the cummons motor, so I can hook up the flex palte to the new motor?

Any help is appricated.

Tom

4B/6B is the non turbo version of the B series Cummins, 4BT/6BT is the turbo version.  Not aware that there is a whole lot of difference between turbo and non turbo but I would suspect the cams are different.  Typically a turbo engine has a cam with more valve overlap to provide more piston dome and valve cooling.  Lot of people slap a turbo on a non turbo engine and hammer down, and mostly without problems apparently.

A Cummins enthusiast board would be better suited from a knowledge standpoint on the internals of B-series engines. Maybe not from a personality standpoint but if you can get past the hazing... LOL

One thing I can tell you about the 4BT is to keep it wound up over 1500 at least. Don't lug them. They don't have anything down low at least in my experience.

Thanks for the insight information. I've had the 238 engine rebuilt 5 times and it keeps having problems, the last the harmonic balance blew up and blew a hole in the block.

I'm tired of rebuilding it and the down time of not being able to use it.

Tom

Over in the construction forum I think this has been discussed before. I would think it's easily doable, years ago we used to repower almost anything Cat, Deere, IH, Oliver, White an others using Cummins engines, I have all the sales handbooks with different flywheels and flywheel housing options to match them up. 

The little 4B's without a crankshaft balancer can work over sheet metal and filaments in lights an etc...that said Case hardly used balancer in any applications, skid steers, backhoes to name a couple never did run one. 

15 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

The little 4B's without a crankshaft balancer can work over sheet metal and filaments in lights an etc...

We had a leaf collector at work with the Cummins 3.3 hard mounted. Usually 2 or 3 times during leaf season I had to weld up the cracks on the fenders caused by the vibration. It looked just like someone had taken a jig saw to it. Muffler fell off 2 or 3 times from the same thing over the 10 years we had it. Anything over about 2200 RPM the buzzing was unreal. We have that same engine still in a Vermeer chipper, but it's mounted on rubber mounts. Never had any problems with that one.

You could feel the vibration at idle and lower rpm a fair bit with the 4B in 8820 Swathers too.  And that motor is a fair bit away from the cab.  

It always made me wonder how that motor must shake in a Jeep Wrangler swap.  I can’t imagine it being tolerable.