Drying 200 bushel of spelt

rcb

I am thinking of setting up a gravity wagon to dry about 200 bushel of spelt. But is there another way I should consider? I found an article about drying grain in a modified gravity wagon in an old farm magazine which is my plan right now. But maybe someone has a better/easier idea?

12 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

what is spelt.

Some call it Dinkle Wheat. Primitive form of wheat, about the size of oats. Popular among the Amish, Ohio and in Germany.

I have dried small amounts like that on a barn floor,  Lay it out 4 to 6 inches deep and turn it with a grain shovel every day if you have a window fan that will help

I dry small batches like that often 

• Like 1

I have cut spelts for my Amish neighbor

They do take time to dry I think in some places they windrow it and let it dry in the field then pick it up with a combine

We have to take buckwheat that way up here

• Like 1

I had 8 to 10 ton of safflower at 10 to 12 % in 2015, no drying anywhere around here but oil seed guys would not take it over 8%. Was already in a semi belly dump trailer( it was pushing 8% and got real hard short shower by the time combine was empty and we rolled tarp). Got the trailer in the yard and put 4 leaf blowers with PVC duck taped to there nozzle pushed as deep as possible. Took 4 to 6 days but I got it down like in needed to be and did not cost a lot. Safflower seed is the same size/ shape  as wheat but only 40+ pounds a bushel.

• Like 1