I'm with the above posters.  I doubt there is anything  interchangeable.  I think the T4 was based off a farm wheel tractor but can't remember which model.  500 was a completely different stand alone animal.  I also doubt there is undercarriage available for either one.  Good luck with what ever your plans are.

Dennis

I was thinking that T-4 and T-340's were farm tractor based too.

T-4 has a ta, could have lpto, and 3-point hitch and the C-135 engine, ( same as my 340-u and 504)

They also had the T-5 and TD-5 at the same time as the T-4

The 500 replaced the T-340 and was a much heavier tractor than the 340.

42 minutes ago, SONNY said:

I was thinking that T-4 and T-340's were farm tractor based too.

T-4 has a ta, could have lpto, and 3-point hitch and the C-135 engine, ( same as my 340-u and 504)

They also had the T-5 and TD-5 at the same time as the T-4

The 500 replaced the T-340 and was a much heavier tractor than the 340.

IIRC the 500 replaced the t-5 then was changed again when payline formed

What i might say, maybe true maybe not.  Chipman would know for sure.

1. IH Canada Hamilton took it on their own the develop from scratch a "compact farm crawler, not from a wheeled machine.

2. It was farm tractor "RED" and no blade offered.

3. IH Chicago was impressed and ramped development of a small crawler based on the 340 wheeled tractor.  It sits way higher than the t4.

4. At sometime when the t4's, 5's and td 5's were still ag red a blade was offered for the red crawlers.  This was because the t340 came out right away with blades AND still ag options offered.

5. When a blade was put on the t4's, 5's and td 5's there were extra bracing and reinforcement done to the chassis.  I think the pinions were improved and changed.

6. If payline means yellow machines, the above improvements were engineered and made standard to all machines.  These would be the "B" series machines.

7. The 500 crawlers replaced the t4's, 5's and td 5's and 340's at the same time and  diesel only.

8. Most U C parts will interchange with the 1st series 500's.  Maybe some chassis parts too.  500's were built in Canada.

• Like 2
On 4/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, attaboy said:

can anyone tell me if the T-4 crawler has anything in common to the 500? like undercarriage, sprokets , final drives etc? what parts mite interchange?

Yes, only the early 500's maybe the whole 1st series.

Pretty much unobtanium now, prolly gotta buy a whole machine. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, t4mike said:

What i might say, maybe true maybe not.  Chipman would know for sure.

1. IH Canada Hamilton took it on their own the develop from scratch a "compact farm crawler, not from a wheeled machine.

2. It was farm tractor "RED" and no blade offered.

3. IH Chicago was impressed and ramped development of a small crawler based on the 340 wheeled tractor.  It sits way higher than the t4.

4. At sometime when the t4's, 5's and td 5's were still ag red a blade was offered for the red crawlers.  This was because the t340 came out right away with blades AND still ag options offered.

5. When a blade was put on the t4's, 5's and td 5's there were extra bracing and reinforcement done to the chassis.  I think the pinions were improved and changed.

6. If payline means yellow machines, the above improvements were engineered and made standard to all machines.  These would be the "B" series machines.

7. The 500 crawlers replaced the t4's, 5's and td 5's and 340's at the same time and  diesel only.

8. Most U C parts will interchange with the 1st series 500's.  Maybe some chassis parts too.  500's were built in Canada.

Good info Mike.  thanks

I got my t4 27 years ago and started a t4, 5 and td5 registry 2 years later along with refurbbing the tractor.  There was a pair of brothers that were ih dealers if i member right.  They had a bunch those hamilton built crawlers.  They were the real experts about them pre 21st century. 

Last winter i fixed a stuck main clutch, now the left steer won;t release the tracks, stalls engine when i pull hard enough to engage brake.  bummer.

Does anyone know if i can send the packs out to get rebuilt?  I got a bunch of extra disc to send along.

good luck with your projects.

thanks