1066 will 20.8 x38 tire fit 18.4 x 38 rim

I wouldn't recommend it the side wall will crack out if your doing heavy pulling plus if your buying new tires your tire dealer may not warranty any failures 

My 856 has had 18.4x38 on 15.5x38 rims since dad bought it in 1974. The tires that are on it now were installed in 1979. They have held up good. Thx-Ace 

If you put 20.8's on your 1066 the inner wheel has to be in pretty far. Not sure if you have duals, but if just singles the inner wheel needs to be in at the same position as if there were duals on it. The cab door will catch wheel lugs when open if the wheel are out much. Not a big problem if tractor is not moving or moving forward, but you'll only do it once if rolling backwards.

So from the sounds of it you want to take a couple tires off the 4586 and run them on the 1066?

I wouldn't worry about tire warranty then, because unless the tires are practically new, they aren't under warranty anymore.

I wouldn't worry about the narrow rim. It won't be IDEAL, but it will be better than bald tires, and less expensive than buying new tires. Even if the tires don't last 40 years you've got six more to choose from. Only thing you're out is your time.

• Like 1

As a general rule, the preferred rim width for 18.4 tires is 16” and for 20.8 tires it’s 18”.  It does depend on the tire manufacturer. 

3 1/4" hubs are easy to find.  You just need to find a 4366/4386!   Hanging weights on those rims may be difficult though.

On 4/18/2021 at 8:07 PM, brahamfireman said:

20190518_093916.jpg.4c4340acf8e4dfbc3a6d78c2c485a023(1).jpg

How many "turbo 186" were built? lol! Many afterwards, but any leave IH that way? Interesting. While a 45 was built by Steiger, the Axles were all IH components.

• Like 1
On 4/18/2021 at 9:38 PM, acem said:

The 4586 doesn't use the wheel/rims like 2wd tractors. They use a 10 bolt hub with 10 bolt wheels. Thx-Ace 

I think Steiger factory actually rolled and formed the rim and bead area then welded the center plate in. There were ads or articles about how they mad most of the frame and metal for the tractors in house.

11 hours ago, Injpumped said:

How many "turbo 186" were built? lol! Many afterwards, but any leave IH that way? Interesting. While a 45 was built by Steiger, the Axles were all IH components.

That chart is not totally accurate regarding model designations, but they knew their axle sizes! 

The 186 and 100 should have been turbo from the factory.  The 1066 hydros were.   Why did they stop when they were rebadged as the 100?  Fascinating.   

19 hours ago, rodhergott said:

I talked to my tire guy and he says that I can put 20.8 on 18.4.     

That is correct. You CAN. You can do a lot of things. That doesn't mean that there aren't downsides or consequences to your choices.

Here, the consequences are MINOR and have been pointed out.