BD-264 cruising rpm and other ???

I have a ‘53 R-162 2-ton that has a BD-264(confirmed on block) that starts and runs well. 

The door tag is not there, so I’m not sure what it came with originally. 

I’m currently trying to sort out how to get the brakes functional again, so I’ve only driven it in 1st and reverse. Using the key to “stop”. 

It has 8.25-20 tires and wheels. 4 are split RING and 2 are split RIM. Lots of decisions to be made about buying new rims/tires, etc. 

The wiring is a bit of a mess - it has a 12v battery in it, but I’m not sure the generator is 12v. I’m fairly handy with wiring and not too worried about getting it all back in order. It is time consuming. 

Reason for posting is to get an idea how well this truck will cruise at moderate speeds (55-60), because that needs to be considered before I commit putting much money into the old girl. (It has a fully functioning pto driven hydraulic dump bed)

I’m hoping the BD-264 with its extra power (153hp ) will be capable of the very occasional 100 mile jaunt without too much  trouble. 

Definitely. I’m just wondering what these are designed to cruise at. I’ve not driven an in-line 6 from the 50’s since ‘85 or so. It was a half ton, so very different I think. 

Found my issue with the passenger side rear locking up. Three of the  drum return springs had come apart.

https://i.imgur.com/fHl5lqa.jpg

fHl5lqa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BsXoyUN.jpg

BsXoyUN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DufnZ48.jpg

DufnZ48.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/guN2OpD.jpg

guN2OpD.jpg

I like this truck enough that I plan to keep working on it. I’d like to change the brakes to dual pot master cylinder and get the vacuum boost working again. 

Now, to find some brake springs. 

I had a '54 R-162. 45 MPH was comfortable @ Approx 5 MPG. (down hill ,tail wind and empty). Was a city tractor converted to dump truck,  Had a 5 speed with a two speed rear end. Hydraulic with vacuum boost for brakes. It would pull the top off a mountain.

• Like 1

I have a R152 w/SD240, 4spd and two speed axle.  45-50 is a comfortable speed.  I could not find new rear brake springs but mine were reusable.  I would have replaced if available.  Rearend ratio is the determining factor on speed.  Have fun with your truck

Brake Systems Inc in Portland, Or had exchange booster assy in 2018 for mine.  Under $400 then.  Maybe you would get my core.  haha

Dennis

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, farmalldr said:

I have a R152 w/SD240, 4spd and two speed axle.  45-50 is a comfortable speed.  I could not find new rear brake springs but mine were reusable.  I would have replaced if available.  Rearend ratio is the determining factor on speed.  Have fun with your truck

Brake Systems Inc in Portland, Or had exchange booster assy in 2018 for mine.  Under $400 then.  Maybe you would get my core.  haha

Dennis

On 4/19/2021 at 7:56 AM, BiggieSmalls said:

yes I have driven my 264 travelall san diego to seattle but get higher gears for comfort and its better on the motor, enjoy

On 4/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, jingles1928 said:

I had a '54 R-162. 45 MPH was comfortable @ Approx 5 MPG. (down hill ,tail wind and empty). Was a city tractor converted to dump truck,  Had a 5 speed with a two speed rear end. Hydraulic with vacuum boost for brakes. It would pull the top off a mountain.

It sounds like it is a 50 mph top speed truck. I'll have to think about how that affects my plans. 99.9% of the time it would be on under 45 mph rural roads.

I ordered some Carlson H140 springs because they show fitting the 14" drum brakes on the IH Metro and a bunch of the Ford C800 900 and LN series trucks with 14" brakes. They also look very similar. And the price is right:

Springs.JPG.40ac40ae3dc2e757edb5080045e89298.JPG