Clean rig. Some maybe like?

TroyDairy

A couple of brothers here had 2 transtar II , 1 was red with white stripes and the other was green with white stripes. They had dump trailers, hopper bottoms, flat beds, and cattle pots. Both had 318 Screamin’ Demons in them. Dad had them haul grain yearly and cattle several times. Those old trucks paid for themselves several times over before they upgraded their trucks. I wish I had some pictures of them, they were sharp looking back in the day, when I was 6-12 years old when they hauled for dad.

• Like 2

We had a twin but blue.  She was clean with a 325 n 13sp.  But man.  They are uncomfy.  No foot room and the seat cant go back far enough.  Hot sitting on that engine.  I was mad when it was wreaked (by me) but the 1st season with the T800 made me forget about her.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Looks like $800 to me I could be wrong.

What the deal with the Aluminum frame? 

Was that done to meet some weight restriction?

That brings the scrap price up some.

image.png

I was just predicting what it might bring. Probably a little high

9 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

No foot room and the seat cant go back far enough

Ever drive a Road Boss?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

image.png

What’s the deal with aluminum frame - read the description, it says “new breaks”!

Most of the aluminum frames I have seen have mostly had “old breaks” ?.

Joking aside - it wasn’t uncommon for manufacturers to use aluminum frames back in the 70’s.  Mack, Kenworth and probably a few others tried it too.  I guess the big plus was the weight savings.   But, they all seemed to eventually develop cracks from I am assuming was fatigue failure.  

All the truck manufacturers moved away from use of aluminum on frames by some time in the 80’s, at least from what I have observed (I am no expert).  

22 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

image.png

22 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

image.png

OK, for the unedumacated please, what is this “headache rack” lingo? Thanks in advance. 

By the way, they spelled “breaks” wrong in the ad. Sheesh. 

1 hour ago, Rick G. said:

OK, for the unedumacated please, what is this “headache rack” lingo? Thanks in advance. 

By the way, they spelled “breaks” wrong in the ad. Sheesh. 

That is the bulkhead right at the back of the cab. It is there incase a load gets loose usually on a flat bed with no bulkhead on the trailer to keep the load from going through the cab to prevent a "headache".

1 hour ago, jingles1928 said:

That is the bulkhead right at the back of the cab. It is there incase a load gets loose usually on a flat bed with no bulkhead on the trailer to keep the load from going through the cab to prevent a "headache".

Oh for crype sakes. OK I know exactly what you’re talking about yeah I see them on trucks all the time. I’m not a BTO trucker so I guess I’m not up on all that trucker talk, lol. I never knew they were called that. Thanks Jingles’. I guess I learned something today.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:16 PM, jass1660 said:

Would be fun to drive for an hour...

And I could ride along with you in a TransStar for about that long.  In the 2-3 years I drove I drove a tilt cab at most 10-12 times. Back in the 1960's I rode Shotgun with Dad a lot. One year I rode to the Chicago Stockyards 50 out of 52 Sunday's. Plus day trips over the summer. Mostly in IH CO-190's, Emeryville's, and the guy Dad drove for had two L-series GMC tilt cabs, the boxier style steel tilt cab.

As many trailers I dropped and hooked to in my typical day those few extra steps climbing into/out of a tilt cab REALLY added up by the time I got home.

GMC created an all aluminum tilt cab about 1960, a version of the Crackerbox, even had aluminum suspension arms for long arm/short arm frt suspension,  Yep, don't look for ANY of them in a junkyard, they've all been converted to beer cans.  I remember looking at IH spec sheets, the forged aluminum front steering axle the same dimensions as the 12,000# steel axle was only rated 9800#.  The thickness of the aluminum frame was about twice as thick as the heat-treated steel.  Tough way to save weight!

JINGLES asked TroyDairy if he ever drove a RoadBoss.  Most of my miles was in '79 RoadBoss 2's. The doghouse they had wasn't as large and obtrusive as a TransStar's, but the doghouse did let all kinds of hot air in the cab in summer and freezing cold air in winter. I-80 across Illinois was so rough it just beat the rubber sealing strip to pieces. between the firewall and doghouse. Then the day the outlet ring of the downpipe decided to break off from the turbo the exhaust in the cab was deadly.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:26 AM, jeeper61 said:

I see said the blind man

to his deaf wife as he picked up his hammer and saw?

11 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Oh for crype sakes. OK I know exactly what you’re talking about yeah I see them on trucks all the time. I’m not a BTO trucker so I guess I’m not up on all that trucker talk, lol. I never knew they were called that. Thanks Jingles’. I guess I learned something today.

Pretty much on every flatbed that goes on a pickup also.

Big truck mounts to frame, pickup welded on front of flatbed.