1972 1466 suitcase and wheel weights

I recently purchased a restored 1972 1466.  I’m wanting to add 10-12 front weights and 4 whole wheel weights to each rear wheel (outside).  I’d like to know or see pictures of how these weights would have been attached to the tractor from the IH factory. I understand people have simpler ways of mounting them but I want the tractor to look original from the factory.  From what I’ve read on here the front suitcase weights on a 66 series would be the small handle 100 lb ones with the IH stamp and the L cutout for an angle iron?  Did IH use an angle iron to help mount them or did they just use the cam locks on the ends?  Or both?  I’d also like to see the factory way the wheel weights are attached.  Thank you in advance for any replies. 

Technically, I don't think the tractors left the factory with any weights at all. The weights would have been installed by the dealer, if I'm not mistaken. Member DOCTOR EVIL worked at the Farmall plant in a logistics position and may have to correct me on this.

I had a brainstorm that the 1972 International Harvester buyer's guide would have pictures of their flagship tractor fully decked out with weights, but to my surprise the tractors are buck naked in the pictures!

For sure, the manufacturer's recommended installation procedure is documented in the owner's manual, and you definitely need to find yourself a mint condition original 1972 owners manual to go with your tractor, so add that to your shopping list.

Don't think the cams came along until the 86 series. That would have been used with the cast weight bracket on the later 86 series, not the box weight bracket.

I know IH made a shallow box weight bracket that required spacers to relocate the bracket forward and down to clear the grille on the 66 series, but those may have only been necessary on weight  brackets transferred over from the 06 or 56 series tractor that was being traded in. IH made a deeper box weight bracket that mounted direct to the front bolster and did not require spacers on the 66 and 86 series.

• Like 1

It would be a shallow weight bracket with spacers in 72. You are correct on the style of suitcase weights. Yes you need the angle iron and the cam locks to be correct. Your rear wheel weights are of the two piece kind and must be part # 400078 to be correct. I will hunt for pictures.

Here are a few pictures. The rear weights can be installed one or two sets bolted to the wheel first. Then additional sets are added with the jam bolts as pictured towards the outside of the nine sets. The 400078 weights are pictured on the pallet. Correct front weights and bracket with the IH spacers shown. Hope this helps.

KIMG2049.jpg

KIMG2065.jpg

KIMG2036.jpg

KIMG0818.jpg

KIMG0834.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Location will be a big factor.....if you can find what your looking for and you don't have to ship anything.....

These are 88 weights with the  angle iron and cam locks...weight bracket is not with it, but I have one for this setup.IMG_20200522_183802952.thumb.jpg.605cafc9d172aa9aa052abcc7d11b7cf.jpg

15 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Here are a few pictures. The rear weights can be installed one or two sets bolted to the wheel first. Then additional sets are added with the jam bolts as pictured towards the outside of the nine sets. The 400078 weights are pictured on the pallet. Correct front weights and bracket with the IH spacers shown. Hope this helps.

KIMG2049.jpg

KIMG2065.jpg

KIMG2036.jpg

KIMG0818.jpg

KIMG0834.jpg

Point of order: although the white on suitcase weights looks good and I never fault someone for doing that, it is not factory correct, if that’s what you’re going for.

1 minute ago, brewcrew said:

Point of order: although the white on suitcase weights looks good and I never fault someone for doing that, it is not factory correct, if that’s what you’re going for.

Wasn't saying anything about the paint, only that those are the correct weights.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Wasn't saying anything about the paint, only that those are the correct weights.

They look great also

• Like 3

Please be advised (as mentioned above) that "factory" is a bit fuzzy on weights.   My Dad bought a 1974? 1066 brand new - with weights - and it had the same weight bracket on it as the 806.  No clamp iron, no cams.    The weights had no hole for the clamp bar either.    The dealer clearly had a NOS set of weights they threw on.

Our 1979 1486 had the cast weight bracket, the clamp bar, and cams.  

IIRC,  the Farmington Implement video shows tractors leaving the line with weights.

I can fix you up if your close by . 
I have fronts and wheel weights also the front bracket if needed . 

In in Nebraska . Unless your within driving distance I would look elsewhere due to the cost of shipping.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:56 PM, Sparky said:

Definitely get yourself an owners manual for your tractor....It will explain exactly what you need to mount weights properly.

Travis

Good advice .

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, lorenzo said:

I can fix you up if your close by . 
I have fronts and wheel weights also the front bracket if needed . 

In in Nebraska . Unless your within driving distance I would look elsewhere due to the cost of shipping.

I'm looking for rear weights for a '74 1066

On 5/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Van said:

I'm looking for rear weights for a '74 1066

If your in Nebraska I can help you.  And would love  to but If your Not then I’m afraid the shipping will be a deal breaker . 

On 4/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, tiger6620 said:

I recently purchased a restored 1972 1466.  I’m wanting to add 10-12 front weights and 4 whole wheel weights to each rear wheel (outside).  I’d like to know or see pictures of how these weights would have been attached to the tractor from the IH factory. I understand people have simpler ways of mounting them but I want the tractor to look original from the factory.  From what I’ve read on here the front suitcase weights on a 66 series would be the small handle 100 lb ones with the IH stamp and the L cutout for an angle iron?  Did IH use an angle iron to help mount them or did they just use the cam locks on the ends?  Or both?  I’d also like to see the factory way the wheel weights are attached.  Thank you in advance for any replies. 

Eye'm thinking Matt Kirsch is probably correct, the weights would be a dealer item as needs would vary from place to place, unless specifically ordered with weights from the factory.

I'm going to be looking for both wheel and suitcase for a 1086 79 version soon as I scrape together enough $$$ for new tires. Nix & got rid of the calcium in the rears  - whoever thought up that idea was demented. Yeah good idea, let's put salt water against steel, that should cause no problems whatsoever. good grief, ya can't even get an accurate PSI reading, if the Schrader valve was even free and not rusted up.

In the meantime you could always use rocks. I got plenty of those, various sizes available, FREE, you only pay for shipping....

• Haha 1