Plumbing my B275 for my “new” planter

ccarmichael

On 4/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, jimb2 said:

Did you read the B275 Operator's Manual on how to use the 3pt Raise/Hold/Lower lever with the Isolating valve and a remote hydraulic outlet?
BE SURE to READ and understand the operation of the 3pt lever and the Isolating valve as DAMAGE could occur to the the hydraulic pump if the proper procedure is not followed.

I thought I’d ordered an owner’s manual, but I turns out it’s the shop manual.  Owner’s manual is on the way now.  

Looks good, only other suggestion I have as anywhere the rubber hydraulic hose rubs against metal, with the vibrations in the British Diesel engines the contact point will eventually ware through the outer rubber covering on the hydraulic hose exposing the steel braid, then with moisture the braid will rust and eventually the hose will fail.
Solution is to split an old piece of auto heater hose or even garden hose and the put it around the hydraulic hose at the contact point and secure with zip ties. 

Readers digest version of using a remote cylinder on a B275 with reference to photos below from my B414 OPERATOR's Manual Pages 20-21
1) NEVER with the engine running and the Isolating valve closed, move the hydraulic control lever to the UP position WITHOUT a remote hydraulic cylinder connected as this will DEAD HEAD the hydraulic pump.
2) To use the Remote hydraulic cylinder, use the hydraulic control lever to raise the 3pt lift arms to a desired height, return control lever to HOLD position.
3) Close the Isolating valve, put the control lever to the FLOAT position, connect the remote hydraulic cylinder via the quick disconnects.
4) To lift the implement with the remote hydraulic cylinder, move the control lever to the Lift position until the implement reaches the desire height and then release the lever and it should return to the Hold position.
5) To lower the implement, move the control lever to the Lower position and return the lever to the Hold position when the implement reaches the required depth.
     If there is a depth control on the implement and you want the remote cylinder to Float then leave the control lever in the Lower Float position.
6) To use the 3pt again with the control lever in the Hold position Open the Isolating valve, I can't recall if the remote cylinder will keep the implement raised or not when using the 3pt.

Are you familiar with using hydraulic quick couplers?

Any other questions, just post again.

B275 Hydraulic Controls P20.JPG

B275 Hydraulic Controls P21.JPG

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ccarmichael said:

Won’t be necessary in my case. I won’t be using the lift arms while the planter is connected.

What about the loader, though?

Does the loader just tee into the pressure side from the pump and send pressure through the loader valve? 

15 hours ago, ccarmichael said:

Won’t be necessary in my case. I won’t be using the lift arms while the planter is connected.

What about the loader, though?

Does your loader work 100% independent of the 3pt now? If so you should be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Having trouble actually hooking up the hydraulic hoses with the quick-connect...  as hard as I push, I can't get past the pressure to get them connected, especially while holding the collar back.  Am I missing something obvious?  Am I just a weakling?  I did manage it once, somehow...

That is normal hydraulic lock, when you unhook the remote cylinder you must have the tractor 3pt control in the Lower/Float position and the implement must be on the ground or if there is a transport pin to hold the implement up it must be installed, there cannot be any weight on the remote lift cylinder.
The same when you go to hookup, tractor 3pt control in the Lower/Float position BUT this does not always work if sun has shone on the hydraulic line and cylinder or the outside temperature has increased a lot since you unhooked the corn planter the hydraulic oil in the hydraulic line and the cylinder will have expanded enough to prevent easy hookup.
The only solution is to put the ball or the pin on the male end of the quick connect against a flat metal surface and push with both hands enough to release the ball or pin enough to let a little hydraulic oil escape to reduce the pressure in the line. If you can't release the pressure by the previous method then you will have to loosen either the quick connect end of the hydraulic hose or the cylinder end enough to let some oil escape to reduce the pressure. I have never tried throwing cold water on the hose or the cylinder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimb2 said:

"or if there is a transport pin to hold the implement up it must be installed"

This is what I figured out after staring at it for a while and re-reading the owners manual (though it doesn't explicitly say to do this when unhooking the planter).

Ended up being able to squeeze the couplers just enough to release enough oil into the reservoir to drop the planter and take the pressure of the cylinder.  One of those rookie mistakes you only make once.

• Like 1

Huh.  I must be slow, that happens to me all the time.   Too many implements, unhooked at 20 deg, hooking up at 70,  or dad just pulled the hoses w/o releasing pressure, or ....   Hammer the hose ball or pin against the implement frame in such a way that the oil blast can't cover you (good luck, because it will).  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Huh.  I must be slow, that happens to me all the time.   Too many implements, unhooked at 20 deg, hooking up at 70,  or dad just pulled the hoses w/o releasing pressure, or ....   Hammer the hose ball or pin against the implement frame in such a way that the oil blast can't cover you (good luck, because it will).  

Pretty much 

PS, I forgot to add if it is a double acting control valve without a Float position like the control valve on your B275 loader the only way to release the pressure before unhooking the lines is to shut the tractor off and then work the control valves in both directions a couple time and that will release the pressure in both hydraulic lines BUT this will not solve the problem if you unhook with cold hydraulic oil and the sun warms it up significantly, then the only solution is like Jeff-C-IL says.

Can anyone tell me if the problem still exists on the new high HP tractor that I see on youtube hooking up 36 row planters and air seeders that have like 6 or more double acting remote hydraulic cylinders?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, it will run a log splitter but not very fast if the splitter has a large 4" or greater hydraulic cylinder.
I assume the log splitter has a dual acting hydraulic valve on it already, see plumbing instructions below.
Make sure log splitter valve is an Open Center valve.
Remote Outlet of B275 ---------- Input Port [Log splitter Valve] Output port  -------- to B275 hydraulic Filler Port on top of hydraulic housing behind the seat.
Use the same setup as your corn planter but this time you move the 3PT lift lever to the UP position and keep it there so the hydraulic oil flows in a constant loop to the log splitter valve and back to the Filler port. I kind of remember if filler port is 3/4" Pipe thread.  
See photo below of an Industrial 2444 of many return lines plumbed into Filler Port.

mvphoto32745.jpg