Earth Metal Plow Parts

Howdy folks! New guy here. I noticed that my 540 plow has Earth Metal moldboards. Went to poke around the internet a bit & can't seem to find any info pertaining to Earth Metal shares. Not sure what's on there now. Looks to be the standard 463228R1 rib share, but no circle logo. However, there's too much rust on the backs to say for certain. Are/were the EM shares not an option? They would be nice to have, if those were made, as there's quite a few rocks around here.

One other thing. Isn't there a parts catalog for plow bottoms that covers Super Chief & Terra Flow? I have a PO-6, but that stops at Plow Chief.

Thanks,

Mike

Try a Case IH dealership? You can't buy Earth Metal branded anywhere else. Don't know about that plow, but before the knottheads at CNH decided to screw up the parts catalog, plow parts used to be under 7500 plow. Don't do much plowing here anymore, but if I run across a plow at a auction with good steel I buy it for 5-600.00 keep the good steel, rest gets cut up in 3' sections. These are usually 5-6 bottom 700 series plows with toggle trip. 

• Like 1

Absent Minded Farmer,

IH plow parts book PO 10 has Super Chief and Terra Flo bottoms and parts in it. Like 856 says look up moldboards on CIH website under 7500 plow. I didn't know there ever was Earth Metal plow shares ? Earth Metal moldboards , shins , coulters and so on are not made anymore as far as I know. The parts sold through CaseIH dealers last pretty good , that's what I've been using.

8 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Try a Case IH dealership? You can't buy Earth Metal branded anywhere else. Don't know about that plow, but before the knottheads at CNH decided to screw up the parts catalog, plow parts used to be under 7500 plow. Don't do much plowing here anymore, but if I run across a plow at a auction with good steel I buy it for 5-600.00 keep the good steel, rest gets cut up in 3' sections. These are usually 5-6 bottom 700 series plows with toggle trip. 

I just got back from the CaseIH dealer. First the poor kid thought I was looking for a snow plow edge & then he couldn't find the Earth Metal website. Oh boy! Forgot which parts catalog it was in & I left my phone in the truck. Which is fine, he seemed to have issues navigating the computer. Waited for a not rookie to get back up front & he translated for the new guy. We poked around amongst the shelves & found some 14" shares, but they were four bolt. Not having a take off with me to match up the holes, I left it there for the time being.

I'd say $500 - $600 is pretty good for a larger 700 series plow. There only about half that around here.

Mike

4 hours ago, Worth Co. farmer said:

Absent Minded Farmer,

IH plow parts book PO 10 has Super Chief and Terra Flo bottoms and parts in it. Like 856 says look up moldboards on CIH website under 7500 plow. I didn't know there ever was Earth Metal plow shares ? Earth Metal moldboards , shins , coulters and so on are not made anymore as far as I know. The parts sold through CaseIH dealers last pretty good , that's what I've been using.

I checked the CaseIH parts page after returning from the dealer & page wasn't working, so I checked Messick's. That worked better. Found the updated 1980953C2 number which I saw on the shelf at the dealership. They might have those at the local Kubota (nee IH/CaseIH) dealer still sitting on the shelf. Will have to check on Monday.

Do you recall when CaseIH got out of making plows?

Mike

Welcome to this Forum!!      Great bunch of folks Here!!     Lots of Knowledge about "Red Tractors & Stuff",

We Pride our selves about the greater Knowledge of Stuff.

We enjoy Pictures of all kinds of Farm Equipment,  Send a few shots of your Farm Enterprise!

Thanks, Jim Droscha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worth Co. farmer said:

Not for sure but maybe early 2000's. The last plows were made by Art's Way equipment company in western Iowa. Art's Way still make roll over plows.

So, IH sold off the plow line to Art's Way? Wasn't sure if it went that way or if CaseIH did it at some point. I've seen their roll overs & they still look like a green IH machine. Could have sworn they still made a vari width plow, but things change so fast these days I can't keep up.

Did Art's Way get the grinder mixer line, too? Those mills look awfully familiar. Was going to say they were Gehl, but those went to Farmhand.... I think. As stated, it's hard to keep up with this stuff. :vD

Mike

16 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Welcome to this Forum!!      Great bunch of folks Here!!     Lots of Knowledge about "Red Tractors & Stuff",

We Pride our selves about the greater Knowledge of Stuff.

We enjoy Pictures of all kinds of Farm Equipment,  Send a few shots of your Farm Enterprise!

Thanks, Jim Droscha

Thanks, Jim! I've lurked off & on for a few years, but found myself reading here quite a bit lately. When I saw someone post a question about hay conditioners, just couldn't take it anymore & pulled the trigger.... so to speak. Also saw someone here post about my 1206 filmstrip video that I put on YouTube. Glad to see people enjoying them as that's one of the reasons I got them. The thought of those potentially rotting away on someones shelf.... unseen.... drove me half nuts.

There is indeed a wealth of knowledge here & some wisdom to boot. Which seems to be getting more scarce these days.

I don't know if you would call two acres & some local custom work an enterprise, but it keeps me busy & out of trouble. Keeps me out of money too, on occasion.? Will get some pictures up tomorrow evening.

Regards!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 1:37 PM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I checked the CaseIH parts page after returning from the dealer & page wasn't working, so I checked Messick's. That worked better. Found the updated 1980953C2 number which I saw on the shelf at the dealership. They might have those at the local Kubota (nee IH/CaseIH) dealer still sitting on the shelf. Will have to check on Monday.

Do you recall when CaseIH got out of making plows?

Mike

After PO-10, CaseIH went to the 8-8330 Plow Bottom Parts manual in 1991.  I don't know what they renamed it after that.  The "Earth Metal" designation was still used on the disc and coulter blades I've bought in the last couple years, and were still listed in the 2018 CaseIH Tillage Support Catalog.  The last moldboards I bought from CNH a couple years ago were called "Diamond Finish" instead of Earth Metal.  It was supposed to be a "new and improved" replacement for Earth Metal and Earth Metal XW moldboards with a harder smooth finish that scours quicker and a ductile core to prevent breakage due to cracking.  I know at least one of them didn't have a ductile core, as it split in two while tightening the bolts retaining it to the frog...

9 hours ago, chadd said:

After PO-10, CaseIH went to the 8-8330 Plow Bottom Parts manual in 1991.  I don't know what they renamed it after that.  The "Earth Metal" designation was still used on the disc and coulter blades I've bought in the last couple years, and were still listed in the 2018 CaseIH Tillage Support Catalog.  The last moldboards I bought from CNH a couple years ago were called "Diamond Finish" instead of Earth Metal.  It was supposed to be a "new and improved" replacement for Earth Metal and Earth Metal XW moldboards with a harder smooth finish that scours quicker and a ductile core to prevent breakage due to cracking.  I know at least one of them didn't have a ductile core, as it split in two while tightening the bolts retaining it to the frog...

After your post I became curious and looked on some recent replacement parts. The coulters in photo were purchased August 2020 from dealer and are earth metal labeled. I rebladed my 490 disk in 2018 and those are labeled earth metal. The new shins , landsides and moldboards I have in stock are not .

coulter.jpg

moldboard.jpg

On 4/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, Absent Minded Farmer said:

So, IH sold off the plow line to Art's Way? Wasn't sure if it went that way or if CaseIH did it at some point. I've seen their roll overs & they still look like a green IH machine. Could have sworn they still made a vari width plow, but things change so fast these days I can't keep up.

Did Art's Way get the grinder mixer line, too? Those mills look awfully familiar. Was going to say they were Gehl, but those went to Farmhand.... I think. As stated, it's hard to keep up with this stuff. :vD

Mike

I’m guessing Arts Way made the mixer mills for IH and labeled them IH. If plow line was sold off it was Case that sold it...

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 8:51 PM, Sledgehammer said:

Welcome to the forum. Jump right in and enjoy the ride ?

Thank you! It's been a joy already.

Mike

11 hours ago, Worth Co. farmer said:

After your post I became curious and looked on some recent replacement parts. The coulters in photo were purchased August 2020 from dealer and are earth metal labeled. I rebladed my 490 disk in 2018 and those are labeled earth metal. The new shins , landsides and moldboards I have in stock are not .

coulter.jpg

moldboard.jpg

Norway, huh? I wonder what the odds are that they are/were manufactured by Kverneland? Would be interesting to find out.

Mike

3 hours ago, 401 N Michigan said:

I’m guessing Arts Way made the mixer mills for IH and labeled them IH. If plow line was sold off it was Case that sold it...

Maybe that was the arrangement between Arts Way & IH. I was told at one point in history, but don't recall how it went exactly. I'm heading out tomorrow to pick up a couple shares & can ask then.

Mike

99.9% sure Arts Way made the mixer mills for IH......re-branded.   May have also applied to silage blowers,  but not sure about that one.