2021 crop pics

? ?? would you guys to the south kindly shut your oven doors it’s to bloody hot up here lol.  Been a long time since I’ve seen 100°F. Not sure if I have here before to tell you the truth.  Supposed to be even hotter the next couple days. This is the shady side of the house too. Ignore the time on the display, it seems to be always changing even after I just reset it. 

F845EFFB-F2EC-47F2-B2C4-C12FCDCE407E.jpeg

Took a shot of the beans today, they got sprayed about a week ago. Looking better, this field had the most volunteer corn. I think they got most of it. They are really starting to grow.

Edit; I'll take another shot in a couple weeks to see how they compare.

Saw some corn in the neighborhood today that is starting to tassel. About as early as I can remember. Things are really looking good around here after the rain. Of course, they were last year too. Right up until August 10th!

IMG_1028.JPG

10 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Took a shot of the beans today, they got sprayed about a week ago. Looking better, this field had the most volunteer corn. I think they got most of it. They are really starting to grow.

Edit; I'll take another shot in a couple weeks to see how they compare.

Saw some corn in the neighborhood today that is starting to tassel. About as early as I can remember. Things are really looking good around here after the rain. Of course, they were last year too. Right up until August 10th!

IMG_1028.JPG

Hopefully there’s no repeat of derecho. That was one nasty storm.  I’m a little afraid all this heat could brew up some nasty weather here too. 

My sister texted me this morning and invited us up to the cabin for the afternoon as my brothers we’re going to be up there as well. Decided to head off for a while. Went out for a little boat ride and had supper there with them.  Headed back for home around 8:00. Got almost home and could see black smoke pouring up into the sky. A car was on fire on the side of the road. Car in front of us had just gotten there and called 911 already. Was no one else around so we turned around and headed back around a different way as I didn’t know how long it had been burning and wasn’t about to risk a fire or something  exploding as I went by. 869C7013-D228-4BDE-B87F-AC9B8BD5CD64.thumb.jpeg.1d5801c84ae4a901042da23c4f3802bd.jpeg

848F8918-C1FD-4AD5-8D71-FAE0E35A607D.thumb.jpeg.4e53936360611bec405dd103619f9904.jpeg

2D782F52-211F-41C2-83BF-C37BDDFA5940.thumb.jpeg.13ff442db2efc76faa7e260b408bf604.jpeg

On 6/29/2021 at 9:12 AM, lorenzo said:

My dry land corn .

3B2710B0-8551-4372-B3EC-FA7E367E6C7F.thumb.jpeg.20791135411c804021c911950116fe21.jpeg

That corn looks nice.

Around here you could sit your dog in the headed Durham and he will stick up above it. I help my cousin spring and fall he thinks that the combine operators will be able to drive the semis home when they quit at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IKS said:

That corn looks nice.

Around here you could sit your dog in the headed Durham and he will stick up above it. I help my cousin spring and fall he thinks that the combine operators will be able to drive the semis home when they quit at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IKS said:

That corn looks nice.

We’re kind of on the edge here yet. Crops not lost yet but it’s getting g awful close. I’m not sure where it’s pulling moisture from but the crops are still advancing yet so that’s a good sign. I’ve never seen our wheat this short though. A foot tall in places and almost fully headed out. I’d like to find a straight cut header for the 2188 maybe and save swathing it if the weather cooperates. The canola should be able to root down yet and find moisture I think or at least hope. Going to be some big tap roots though if it keeps digging. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We’re kind of on the edge here yet. Crops not lost yet but it’s getting g awful close. I’m not sure where it’s pulling moisture from but the crops are still advancing yet so that’s a good sign. I’ve never seen our wheat this short though. A foot tall in places and almost fully headed out. I’d like to find a straight cut header for the 2188 maybe and save swathing it if the weather cooperates. The canola should be able to root down yet and find moisture I think or at least hope. Going to be some big tap roots though if it keeps digging. 

Early canola is blooming here and these temps are the worst to have at flowering. Think we might hit triple digits before the day is over. 95F when I came in at noon. Was out on the open tractor raking hay early to beat the heat and it wasn't too bad as the wind was blowing strong. It takes a lot of raking to make a swath this year. Slight chance of showers tonight or tomorrow. We sure need them and a lot more to follow. 

IMG_2547[1].JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I spent 5 days helping my daughter and son in law haying just north of Wakaw lake, the crops look very good there but the hay was hurt bad .They said only about 1/3 of last year BUT it was so wet last year they couldn't get finished so it is hard to win.

• Like 1

Definitely going to be a big demand for hay this year I’m afraid. I’m sure guys around here will be cutting every last acre they can find and cutting as low as they dare to. On the sandy land north of here I’m not sure it’s even worth cutting this year though unfortunately. 

Broke 100° F here today.  There’s more of a wind today though so that helps a bit even if it’s a hot wind lol  

1D4CB907-750B-4A00-AEA6-14C16DF7FCB2.jpeg

• Like 1

Might be rain headed your way supposed to get over a 1/2” here over the weekend, 1 1/2” forecast for Cold Lake hopefully it doesn’t drift too far north on its path, lots of hay bales up, volume looks ok especially what was cut a week ago, fields look brown though

Caught a shower this morning for a 1/2 hr this morning can’t tell it went by big cracks in the ground appearing 

• Like 2

Taken 7/1

61A868C7-E8E0-47BD-8EED-0D8BCEEF47F5.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Might be rain headed your way supposed to get over a 1/2” here over the weekend, 1 1/2” forecast for Cold Lake hopefully it doesn’t drift too far north on its path, lots of hay bales up, volume looks ok especially what was cut a week ago, fields look brown though

Caught a shower this morning for a 1/2 hr this morning can’t tell it went by big cracks in the ground appearing 

Calling for a chance slight chance of thunder showers here tonight and tomorrow I think. Hopefully get some. They keep pushing the measurable rain back all the time. It’s more of a tease in the forecast. Just enough to keep your hopes up lol. 

Hopefully Mike is ok out in Kamloops with all the fires popping up. Crazy how quick Lytton went up.  Fire ban here now in the parks and forests. 

• Like 2

Lots of nice crop pics so far on here! 

I sure hope this heat brings us some rain. Was 36c (97f) today. I hate this heat. Tomorrow supposed to be warmer yet. Crops are sure picking up now, and seem to be holding ok. I see some wheat fields heading out. Ours isn't yet, and the canola is just starting to bolt. Likely be in full bloom next week, and supposed to cool off so that should work out ok. The later seeded crops are sure catching up and looking nicer than the early stuff, at least ours anyway. Checked the first seeded canola tonight and there ate some big leaves on it lol. Hay crops don't look to spectacular. Lots of guys cutting, some baling. We're gonna start next week. Hoping it will stretch a bit more. Not really banking on a second cut this year. That late may frost and cold spring really set things back. 

Snapchat-190024781.thumb.jpg.d9c0eae821af2ecfcba9463743d83394.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Lots of nice crop pics so far on here! 

I sure hope this heat brings us some rain. Was 36c (97f) today. I hate this heat. Tomorrow supposed to be warmer yet. Crops are sure picking up now, and seem to be holding ok. I see some wheat fields heading out. Ours isn't yet, and the canola is just starting to bolt. Likely be in full bloom next week, and supposed to cool off so that should work out ok. The later seeded crops are sure catching up and looking nicer than the early stuff, at least ours anyway. Checked the first seeded canola tonight and there ate some big leaves on it lol. Hay crops don't look to spectacular. Lots of guys cutting, some baling. We're gonna start next week. Hoping it will stretch a bit more. Not really banking on a second cut this year. That late may frost and cold spring really set things back. 

Snapchat-190024781.thumb.jpg.d9c0eae821af2ecfcba9463743d83394.jpg

Our bottom leaves are really shriveling up now. Starting to bloom fairly nice now so hopefully it doesn’t abort it’s blossoms. 

Few clouds rolling around tonight but it doesn’t look like it’s going to build up into anything. Was darker north of here again in the sky. 

Heard back from Mike tonight and he’s safe and sound so far. Said there’s 2 fires that area little bit threatening but one is a long ways away yet and the other is burning away from him yet. 

heard this afternoon the cigar lake uranium mine is safe for now again. They had to evacuate yesterday. Part of the crew stayed behind and was able to keep it out of camp. 

yesterday was crazy hot crew showed up and changed my sprayer tires over to the skinnys for desicating and drove it back into the shed for a month i hope  went down to Rouleau to the ritchie bros yard to look at some stuff, crops vary all over the country drive into some really nice stuff and some ugly looking stuff, i'm still hoping for an average year here yet but we gonna need alittle help from above to make it happen

quite a light show here tonight but no moisture to show for it  

• Like 1

Not a drop here yet and we are back to clear , hot and sunny this morning. Western sky looked hopeful last night at sundown as I went out to bale hay. Finished up after midnight as it just wouldn't bale in the heat of the day. Short and thin crop. I heard Rosetown was the hotspot of all Canada yesterday. Starting to see some light patches in the high spots of cereals. I have not taken a close look at the canola fields. Not sure I want to. 

• Like 2

Nice day for a little headland rehabilitation. 
Watering taters with reel.   Mount Baker in the back ground. Lot of snow melt the last 3-4 weeks . Great source for irrigation water. Snow fall was around 660” inches this year.  last year was little over 300”  late 90’s close to 1,200 “ 

5B8CBDBB-33D2-4989-94EA-E0FF33562729.jpeg

C31DA47E-CEB2-43FE-AE96-7A957BF92473.jpeg

• Like 5

22 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hey 806man, how do you like those booms for a traveler????  Always thought they would work sweet here for tomatoes............but nobody agreed with me on the subject ever.

I like them.  First setup takes a while due to adjusting cable plus chains on each boom section once that is done 2 guys can set up 20-30 minutes once you get in the groove. You can be set up and move in the field, it's just moving to another field need to disassemble.  If you have long straight fields with no obstacles they work well 200' width, can use on windy days big bonus. The water application is very uniform. Soil moisture will last longer then a big gun since very little water evaporation. I still run 4 of big guns plus 4 booms. Boom 140'/hour is 1 inch. Big gun 1.1 tip 100'/hour roughly 1'' There are sprinkler heads which allow higher rates to move boom faster. I haven't run a meter on a boom yet. big gun is 325 GPM at 110-120 psi reel PSI. The sales guy said booms use 250ish GPM 40 psi burn less fuel.

30 minutes ago, 806 man said:

I like them.  First setup takes a while due to adjusting cable plus chains on each boom section once that is done 2 guys can set up 20-30 minutes once you get in the groove. You can be set up and move in the field, it's just moving to another field need to disassemble.  If you have long straight fields with no obstacles they work well 200' width, can use on windy days big bonus. The water application is very uniform. Soil moisture will last longer then a big gun since very little water evaporation. I still run 4 of big guns plus 4 booms. Boom 140'/hour is 1 inch. Big gun 1.1 tip 100'/hour roughly 1'' There are sprinkler heads which allow higher rates to move boom faster. I haven't run a meter on a boom yet. big gun is 325 GPM at 110-120 psi reel PSI. The sales guy said booms use 250ish GPM 40 psi burn less fuel.

That sure sounds like the ticket............Putting on water on young transplanted tomatoes was a PITA, had to neck the big gun down with those goofy washers for the nozzle to break the water up so the plants could take it and you just crawled with the gun cart, always thought a boom would actually be faster, and the water would be more even.  

Trace of rain here this morning and a bit of a light show for a bit. Within the hour it was dry again though. The canola leaves did seem to perk up a little bit though so maybe it helped some. Was fairly hot this afternoon again though. Hopefully the heatwave is over for now and we get some more reasonable temperatures.  

Took the drone out for a bit this afternoon. Fields are definitely more patchy looking from above but by no means the worst I’ve seen thankfully. 

Took off this evening as it felt so nice out on my dirt bike. Went down to the river where my grandfather had his sawmill set up. First time I’ve driven it all the way. Trails not exactly bike friendly the last 1/4 of the way down the river bank lol. Little bike did pretty good to haul my fat *^% outa there though lol. 

FF9F2644-9A85-4E2E-ACB3-F69E757D73F3.jpeg

58CF1667-EFC4-4F35-B219-B3EA62400973.jpeg

4768AEEF-34BD-4A73-94CF-44BFC65840EC.jpeg

A1274582-0FBB-4732-A2FD-F0A3D24CDDA0.jpeg

C610C907-E276-41E7-B052-7139FC607D51.jpeg

A54959F6-C744-4EC1-874C-E0DFBFA0FFD2.jpeg

6EF916A2-29AE-454D-B13C-B68342B77A02.jpeg

4A770C18-0998-48AF-A785-66B8D3E72CF4.jpeg

AA085234-D863-4C47-8D0F-B6BC3486581B.jpeg

A9E2DDA4-8248-489C-9B99-4C6F047B8E06.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

That sure sounds like the ticket............Putting on water on young transplanted tomatoes was a PITA, had to neck the big gun down with those goofy washers for the nozzle to break the water up so the plants could take it and you just crawled with the gun cart, always thought a boom would actually be faster, and the water would be more even.  

Years ago switched from washers to taper-bore nozzles for better droplets , All reels are hydraulic driven.  Turbines slow the water down. Night and day difference if running side by side. If running 2 on same system i would put turbine reel closest to pump. I ended up trading 2 of them to a guy that wanted turbines for 2 hydraulic machines that were same as my others. The price for boom isn't bad, $14k or so. the PIA part is changing row spacing. Stupid set up, only 1 axle slides so need to reset center boom structure since it has steer tire on front.

252BA693-3534-429E-9A08-81908029F47E.jpeg

DC89634D-9DF7-4E66-81F1-1811380BEC0B.jpeg

A3BF0531-72FE-438F-9BDA-EBE4BC19DA3A.jpeg

DA4A594A-A59E-4B06-AD33-8DA69C1F44D1.jpeg

CF844634-A8D3-41AE-A067-C0C589F074BD.jpeg

AF9209BF-E84B-4574-A15D-5E9E9D2E202C.jpeg

• Like 1