2021 crop pics

3 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

So apparently the word frost is still in the weather vocabulary lol.  Forecast says low of +4°C with a risk of frost. 

FB586CCE-1C73-41AB-B31F-4C5017CD4AEC.png

Got a frost advisory here too. Low of 2. Was working cows all day and in the sun with the wind blowing it was cold. Needed a sweater on all day. Warmest I saw was +12. Hope is stays cloudy all night

Screenshot_20210620-234128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9ee40112aad842d65422464c7a0303ab.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, cold for the first day of summer at just over 60F for a high. I gave up the idea of spraying early in the morning as it was windy, cold and wet anyway. Took the day off for some family fun at a local car show. Got to see a few other crops along the way. Growing like crazy. I don't think we had frost here overnight but reports of half a degree above freezing at Regina so that is close enough that I bet somebody got a little frost. 

What now? Safe to spray this morning? I'm already late due to weather delays. Don't want to be weed spraying canola in July. At least the wind has dropped to almost nothing this morning. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Yes, cold for the first day of summer at just over 60F for a high. I gave up the idea of spraying early in the morning as it was windy, cold and wet anyway. Took the day off for some family fun at a local car show. Got to see a few other crops along the way. Growing like crazy. I don't think we had frost here overnight but reports of half a degree above freezing at Regina so that is close enough that I bet somebody got a little frost. 

What now? Safe to spray this morning? I'm already late due to weather delays. Don't want to be weed spraying canola in July. At least the wind has dropped to almost nothing this morning. 

No frost here. My phone showed 2 i think at one point but thermometer was 4. We're in the same boat as you. Just sitting waiting for the wind to calm down so we can keep spraying. Canola needs to be done in the next few days. Could've gone first thing this morning but we thought it was too cold and heavy dew. Now it's not bad except for the gusty winds. Only need a day and a half to spray all that's left but it's likely going to turn in to one field a night just before dark. Oh well we will go when we can go

• Like 1

Not sure where my last post went I must’ve screwed up somehow. Oh well I’m still here anyways lol. 

it didn’t freeze here but I’m seeing reports of damage on facebook and talked to a few people who are seeing damage from frost. 

Finished the last pass on dads canola yesterday afternoon. Going to do mine on Friday or Saturday weather permitting. Was way to windy today to do anything.  Been hauling canola in first thing in the morning and then doing other odd jobs the rest of the day. Dad got his contract filled and had a few more loads to go yet. I’ve got a little bit of feed barley left but dad has quite a few more loads to go. 

Crops are progressing nicely here. Canola is cabaging out and starting to fill in the blank spots. First seeded is just starting to bloom now tonight. I sprayed it yesterday afternoon so just in time I guess lol. Barley should be heading out within the week I think and that wheat probably around 10 days I’m guessing. 

Mom and Dad got a surprise when they went up to our north quarter to take out a few more trees. Nice healthy tree had snapped and fell right on top the skidder.  No damage to the skidder of course but still to bad to loose a nice healthy tree. Was another one not far away that had snapped off too. They were big trees too.  Must’ve been a awful gust of wind went through. B7E6F5B7-E32F-4750-98C1-D40B4DA65F0B.thumb.jpeg.52b6d9941541199ba9c52280d9c84da1.jpeg
6CD996BA-7BBF-4237-8900-6FBC9AF97CDD.thumb.jpeg.0e15f9dbcb52e3c1706a55e19ee908e6.jpeg7A73B568-8BCB-4C4C-B0BD-68FC7C1743A3.thumb.jpeg.b89af9f9e379f644cd541707d7591cae.jpeg

14515F32-DC20-4FB4-9EF9-A3E6B31281FF.jpeg

9864784E-6325-42A1-9CE2-9B563CF1C28C.jpeg

973C3658-9E46-4E03-93AB-E3B3419011F0.jpeg

30B759F0-4445-4434-80C9-DF656362F2B6.jpeg

C6146619-EEA9-46E4-9206-E09C7E9FC1FD.jpeg

• Like 5

Crops are looking pretty good there. Things are still slow coming along here, starting to see more progress this week with the heat. Heard of some canola get hit by frost the other night. Can't do much about it now other than take what's there. Nothing close to bolting yet. Just starting to cabbage out. Guys are still fighting flea beetles. We had some patches of canola that were dying off. Thought maybe cut worms but they weren't getting cut right off, just the stems were getting pinched. Looks like it was just from stress from the poor conditions. Things are picking up now so hopefully that's all we lose for plants

• Like 1

We’re siting not to bad for moisture at the moment but a week of 85-90°F weather could change that pretty quickly.  Calling for hot weather all of next week. 

I looked at a field next to us the other night that a guy here reseeded. Flea beetles are still chewing away.  You’d think them little buggers would be dormant by now. 

Poor farmer. That 1st pic of canola looks outstanding.  Is your barley fall planted?  Barley started coming off in the neighborhood here in the last week or so.  Wheat should be around July 4th or so.  Just curious when yours is planted or drilled whatever you call it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Poor farmer. That 1st pic of canola looks outstanding.  Is your barley fall planted?  Barley started coming off in the neighborhood here in the last week or so.  Wheat should be around July 4th or so.  Just curious when yours is planted or drilled whatever you call it.

Thanks. That end of the field has filled it very nicely. Outside rounds are still a little thin but overall I’m pretty happy with that one. Mine on the reserve should look like that in another 3-4 days hopefully. It’s a little bit more even so hopefully it’s even better.  The summerfallow field is still thin and the north quarter on the sand is hit and miss. It’s actually better on the sand the. In some of the blacker dirt spots. It came up after the rains and missed some of the flea beetle damage I think. Missed the early frost too. 

All of our barley is spring planted, we don’t have any barley variety’s that can be fall planted. I’m hoping it doesn’t burn up like last year. Our barley didn’t yield as good las fall and it was a little bit light.  We’ve never tried winter wheat or fall rye here at all. Been a few people around here do it but it’s never caught on on a large scale. 

• Thanks 1

Nice sunset tonight anyways. Hopefully it clears off and I can spray the last of my canola tomorrow morning.  Today wasn’t a great day for spraying. The wrong wind and it was kind of overcast most of the day. Had a couple showers go through this afternoon too. Didn’t get much but enough it picked up on your shoes walking across the yard.  Checked where I’m heading to spray and a mile west of it the road was a little muddy but at the canola it was more or less dry yet. 

226A634D-80A4-4980-B3C5-57DE396E9814.jpeg

Finally done. At least for now anyways lol.  Hopefully get a rain again pretty soon though. That canola I just sprayed is showing a little bit of signs of stress on the odd sandy spot. Now it’ll get set back with the chemical again so it’ll need a good shower before to long.  

DE22BD93-FC2E-4D8C-9738-8B1301373456.jpeg

DA8F4C66-4A31-424A-9A6A-BD7639A2B5AD.jpeg

9051E3EE-828B-4FE0-A347-A70F4E32E728.jpeg

4EF0B48B-A9B5-4749-B517-1DCAF035A6E9.jpeg

• Like 1

finished crop spraying a few days ago wasted no time washing it out and off and driving into the shed for the summer, didn't want this hot dry sun beating on it being a lot of the sprayer is rubber and plastic and keep the paint somewhat good

took a drive to swift current yesterday to look at a combine and there's a lot of sad crops once you get down by the river, salesman i talked to said south of swift is just on the border of crop failure so i consider myself lucky with what i got i just hope i can catch a thunder storm or 2 in the next few days to keep it going

Need to give ours a coat of wax on the hood again. I waxed the whole thing when we bought it and had it shined up pretty good. That’s a big job though, even did the spray booms lol. My truck needs a coat of wax again too. Whole new truck would sure be easier but certainly not cheaper lol. 

Started watering a few days ago. Have some hot days coming. EWA. looks like 9 days over a 100 this will have a big impact on their crops. In other news Morman Church out bid Bill Gated and bought 22,000 ac of Easterday Farms . 

B22BF3EA-B2B7-48D1-9F2B-E035FE815C87.jpeg

778D18BE-4073-4CB2-B6E4-2602786DB3BA.jpeg

F2222B2F-497E-4C4C-8B14-31F81235F8B9.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 806 man said:

Started watering a few days ago. Have some hot days coming. EWA. looks like 9 days over a 100 this will have a big impact on their crops. In other news Morman Church out bid Bill Gated and bought 22,000 ac of Easterday Farms . 

Nice pictures. Having water on tap like that would be handy at times around here.  That’s a big chunk of land to go up for sale to one buyer. Unfortunate that it gets taken away from a younger generation that is trying to start out farming. Not that I’m cheering for bill gates but what’s the church doing with the land just out of curiosity? 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Nice pictures. Having water on tap like that would be handy at times around here.  That’s a big chunk of land to go up for sale to one buyer. Unfortunate that it gets taken away from a younger generation that is trying to start out farming. Not that I’m cheering for bill gates but what’s the church doing with the land just out of curiosity? 

The church has a large farm in the area.

https://www.agrinorthwest.com/Home/ContactUs

Kind of like the Hutterites here then. They’ll move into a area and buy up a large chunk of land and then set up a colony on it.  Some of the colony’s are good while others are just haywire. Just like everywhere/everyone else I guess. Some good farmers and some bad. 

Wheat and barley are starting to head out but the wheat is sure short yet. Might not be much for straw if it doesn’t rain. Hopefully get enough rain to fill the heads anyways. Canola is still leading out and filling in. That last shot of liberty really cooked the weeds. The lontrel worked good too. Thistles are black now and crunch like driving over stubble I’m the fall. 

6A69C2AD-3B39-499B-9F25-8D779F61B630.jpeg

3A74F25A-E501-4A08-9ED3-F69C0E937338.jpeg

• Like 3

I crawled under our Kinze 2000 and the Rawson setup with the tape measure…asked my father when the last time they were changed.  On way to NC picked up the set of 8 for the Rawson toolbar and 4 from Shoup are coming.  As guy in Colrain NC said - he got his monies worth out of them!

D281F0F5-E2C1-4F15-A42B-08504B3BB555.jpeg

7AB175E8-54B6-4243-ACEC-2D01E962F829.jpeg

• Like 1

No cereals heading here yet as of June 29 but its early for that anyway. Starting to see the first bolting and flowers in one early canola field near me. Still lots of bare patches where it didnt germinate. The heat predicted for this next few days won't help. No rain in the forecast and we only had a little shower last week. Drone pictures really show up the misses and bare spots. Took this June 26. 

canola June 26.JPG

10 hours ago, lorenzo said:

My dry land corn .

I don't know much about corn but that looks pretty good to me. I shot some video of crops here the past weekend. Driving to town today I saw a lot of patchy canola crops. If they look patchy from the ground they look worse from above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:00 AM, TeachersPet1066 said:

I crawled under our Kinze 2000 and the Rawson setup with the tape measure…asked my father when the last time they were changed.  On way to NC picked up the set of 8 for the Rawson toolbar and 4 from Shoup are coming.  As guy in Colrain NC said - he got his monies worth out of them!

D281F0F5-E2C1-4F15-A42B-08504B3BB555.jpeg

7AB175E8-54B6-4243-ACEC-2D01E962F829.jpeg

Lol yah I’d say he got almost all he could get out of them lol.

Corn looks nice too. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Loadstar said:

I don't know much about corn but that looks pretty good to me. I shot some video of crops here the past weekend. Driving to town today I saw a lot of patchy canola crops. If they look patchy from the ground they look worse from above. 

I haven’t flown over any of ours yet but I’m sure it looks patchy from above too. Starting to get yellow now at home though. Need to charge my batteries up and take it up again one of these days. 

Sure hoping it rains soon though. Crops are hanging on but a inch of rain would sure do a world of good right now.