2021 crop pics

poor farmer/logger

Sorry to hear you have flea beetle it's devastated the winter canola (wosr)for the last few years it our own faults since we lost neo- nic seed dressings. Although it had lost it efficacy some what we had all been on a simple rotation of 1st wheat 2 nd wheat canola (wors) our present insecticides  have very little affect in fact we are spraying up 5- 7 times in the autum against the little bast--ds we can see them on the surface of the soil and as you walk they disappear into it,more come out at night so we're all spraying in the dark it's a nightmare the acreage has fallen dramatically the only way we have a chance of a crop is to seed early with a companion crop of vetch or buckwheat straight behind the combine from mid July to mid Augustwhen they are not so active hope for rain and a rapid start and if the plant is large enough it will survive the onslaught the companion crops are sacrificial the idea being the ease the burden on the canola be aware be very aware this beetle is a game changer 

• Confused 1

Well 2 nights has changed things. Went back in for more spray this morning. Going over all the canola now. I picked up some centurion(clethodim) to put on mine with the insecticide. I’ve got some volunteer barley and some wild oats showing up. Some volunteer wheat as well on the new ground I rented even though it was summerfallowed. 

551C4467-E84E-4F69-A4F8-D0D522C01A97.jpeg

C9BB0EB0-8E90-4103-9626-B5F5EFCC3EDD.jpeg

29 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well 2 nights has changed things. Went back in for more spray this morning. Going over all the canola now. I picked up some centurion(clethodim) to put on mine with the insecticide. I’ve got some volunteer barley and some wild oats showing up. Some volunteer wheat as well on the new ground I rented even though it was summerfallowed. 

551C4467-E84E-4F69-A4F8-D0D522C01A97.jpeg

C9BB0EB0-8E90-4103-9626-B5F5EFCC3EDD.jpeg

It sure seems like it's getting to be the norm to spray for beetles. Haven't heard of any out here yet, but I'm sure they will be around. Knock on wood we've been fortunate to only have to spray once for them even though the neighbour's are spraying once or twice every spring. Good luck on killing them little buggers!

finished seeding 2 days ago, picked up the roller and busy rolling peas will be a week or so till we crop spray them, haven seen or heard much for flea beetles, had them bad a few yrs ago i sprayed and you'd swear 2 days later it was like you didnt even spray the population exploded that much, i really dont think we kill them anymore just set them back so the plants get a chance to get ahead 

Didn’t quite get everything done tonight. Got the farther away land done in good time but it got pretty calm just after I finished. Dust is hangin on the road and drifting east north east. There’s a cereal grain planted east of me so I don’t want to kill it. Probably be ok but I’ll get up early and try to finish everything off before the heat hits. 

18C38364-89D9-4B07-8A1C-0A808143EBB3.jpeg

4104D24E-3D13-42C1-A798-4390CD2B1CA3.jpeg

8AB9CFDF-AF14-4874-B12D-8EC75E76C819.jpeg

8366D835-2AFE-407A-9CD0-E966D921FBF0.jpeg

Keep at them canola is trading spot price off farm £500!!! Ton around$650 Harvest price £440+oil bonuses appt £25 £465 ton $604 how does this compare very short in Europe God export opportunity I'd thought,

challenger sprayer?

10 hours ago, wombwell said:

Keep at them canola is trading spot price off farm £500!!! Ton around$650 Harvest price £440+oil bonuses appt £25 £465 ton $604 how does this compare very short in Europe God export opportunity I'd thought,

challenger sprayer?

Haven’t looked at the futures here for a bit. It was up to 1,000/ tonne during seeding but it’s dropped off since again. 

It’s a little older model so it goes back to when ag-chem/rogator was making them yet. Works ok for the most part. It doesn’t have enough cooling for spraying in hot weather though. Was out this morning and it was 85°F out and it was starting to run warm. Not overheating but a little hotter then I’d like to see. Was running around 195°F and they hydro temp was up to 180°F. 

Got all of dads canola sprayed this afternoon. Finished up a little over a hour before the thunderstorm rolled in. Few good flashes of lightning, lots of wind and a little bit of rain. Didn’t amount to much but any is welcome as long as it’s not in the solid form.  Canola isn’t looking great. Some spots it’s up pretty nice but over the whole farm it’s pretty patchy.  I haven’t lost hope on it yet though. I’ve seen some awful looking crops in June turn around in July/august and turn out to be decent come harvest. 
 Have to go make the rounds tomorrow again and see how the flea beetle situation is again I guess. Hopefully they haven’t moved back into mine again. 

Spent a whole day getting the semi all washed up again. Trailer was pretty dirty. 

DE984BB7-06BE-4175-98CB-62322573993A.jpeg

356AD558-E0BD-4861-A6BB-21F5AD514436.jpeg

D64CAC8D-4195-4AD3-9D71-A57DC904E4C4.jpeg

95BB269B-9DA1-4C04-9C00-47CA6E9D9AD2.png

7688813E-14FF-4791-A754-948001A197AA.jpeg

Decent rain here last night. 2 and a half inches by my gauge and we needed it. Perfect for the forage field I seeded on the weekend. I'm a little behind on spraying but don't mind waiting for a bit of rain. Canola looks ok from a distance and I'm not looking for beetles 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:54 AM, Qc.Can.IH man said:

I heard you guys were having it pretty cold and snowy out in Alberta and Saskatchewan!

It’s been quite warm here, the last few days we’ve been hitting 30°C (86°F) plus and feeling like 35°C with the humidity!

I just finished my planting yesterday, I would’ve been finished three or four days ago but the last 12 acres was very wet so I had to let it dry.

I seeded 80 acres of cereal silage… It may be the last time I ever put a crop in. I also planted 25 acres of corn for one of the neighbours and 2 acres of sweet corn for another neighbour.

We could use a couple of days of good rain, getting pretty dry here!

Doesn’t look like there’s gonna be a good yield on the hayfields again this year, last year was a disaster! The yield on the first cut was only about 30% of the average year, and it was a dry summer until about mid August when we get started getting rain so second cut was in late September. 

here’s a couple of pictures of my seeding rigs

2DC2545C-A12D-4750-915D-F9AF3D1165E4.jpeg

4B9A4034-173D-4B4D-A769-E5C7C7223812.jpeg

055CD8D7-F76D-489B-825A-ACAF98D510DE.jpeg

C7B6E12E-BDAE-4883-A544-E9A044A405A3.jpeg

Nice pictures, why would it be the last time to put in a crop?

4 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Decent rain here last night. 2 and a half inches by my gauge and we needed it. Perfect for the forage field I seeded on the weekend. I'm a little behind on spraying but don't mind waiting for a bit of rain. Canola looks ok from a distance and I'm not looking for beetles 

Good to hear you got some much needed rain.  We ended up with around a 1/2-3/4” maybe. Don’t have a gauge out at all so not positive. Had some real heavy spot showers and then som nice gentle rains in the mornings. Calling for another 1/2-3/4” on Friday. 

I sprayed all of dads canola on Saturday. Friday was just to hot and windy to be out doing any spraying. Think it got up to around 33 or 34°C here.  Picked up chemical for all the cereals yesterday. Sprayed dads little patch of oats this morning and debating going and doing the wheat and barley this afternoon yet. It’s getting tall enough it really should be sprayed but it’s a little cool and cloudy here today yet. Winds starting to pick up a little too. There’s canola seeded next to it that isn’t ours but there isn’t hardly a single plant of canola showing up. I have my suspicions they accidentally sprayed it with pre pass but don’t know for certain. It’s canola on canola and there doesn’t appear to be any volunteer even. I haven’t been out in the field but I see him and a rep were out driving around in all the fields this morning. Not just one quarter either. 

29BC39C9-CDFA-4310-ADFB-F1BB31FFC795.jpeg

62AEACCC-E983-45CE-A2EE-A22F1FD78B05.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Good to hear you got some much needed rain It’s canola on canola and there doesn’t appear to be any volunteer even. I haven’t been out in the field but I see him and a rep were out driving around in all the fields this morning. Not just one quarter either. 

Canola on canola? Poor practice from what I was taught. Seems not long ago they recommended no less than three years between canola crops to avoid disease pressure. Most around here are onto a wheat/canola rotation lately it seems. 

I doubt there will be any spraying here the rest of this week. High wind and more rain coming tomorrow. Guess the weeds will get a little more time to grow. 

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Canola on canola? Poor practice from what I was taught. Seems not long ago they recommended no less than three years between canola crops to avoid disease pressure. Most around here are onto a wheat/canola rotation lately it seems. 

I doubt there will be any spraying here the rest of this week. High wind and more rain coming tomorrow. Guess the weeds will get a little more time to grow. 

Yes it’s not a good way to farm that’s for sure. They have rented land that’s had canola 3 or 4 years in a row. Then maybe a wheat crop of the lands lucky.  They’re out reseeding now. Don’t know what they’re seeding but it’s starting to get a little late to be seeding if you ask me. 

Started spraying the wheat this afternoon but the wind started to pick up so I only sprayed out one tank.  Hoping I can go back out in a little bit and do some more. 

C0183A45-11AD-464A-98C3-F07A34C2439C.jpeg

0B03ECB2-EC26-4374-A174-10EEEA9A2576.jpeg

everything is progressing quite well lots of deep down moisture and more coming, kind of glad i turned the fertilizer rates up abit this year 

cleaned the sprayer out and more wheat went out today start spraying peas after the rain 

june is sneaking away on me it already the 9th 

• Like 1

No sprayers running here yesterday as its too windy, cloudy , cool, and of course the ground wet from 70 mm of rain. Today is going to be windy with more rain this afternoon. Tomorrow more and wind warnings too. The canola field close to the yard is showing some good growth here. Been two weeks in the ground. It does not show up too well in the drone shots from yesterday. ?

• Like 2

No spraying here today or tomorrow either. Nice gentle rain for about a hour and a half here this morning. Didn’t amount to a lot again but the grounds wet anyways. Looks like next week it’ll get hit again. Hopefully finish up the first round of spraying just as it’s starting to get hit out. 

Haven't had my drone out yet this spring. Need to get it up in the air one of these days again. 

11 hours ago, wheatking said:

everything is progressing quite well lots of deep down moisture and more coming, kind of glad i turned the fertilizer rates up abit this year 

cleaned the sprayer out and more wheat went out today start spraying peas after the rain 

june is sneaking away on me it already the 9th 

Yes just think in another 11 days the days will start to get shorter again.  Summer is flying by again. 

1 hour ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Corn is Starting to come along for going through cold temps and 2” downpour one day.  There are some bad spots in each field but it was planted 20 days ahead of our typical plant date.

4619FD7C-CD21-4B83-8CBB-326591EDB0E0.jpeg

4B97A8D2-401F-42A4-A782-49534223D282.jpeg

63982275-802B-4C73-9603-EC22D83F2123.jpeg

Looks good. Our garden corn is just to the point where you can see the rows now. 

• Like 1

Wild winds all day here that put the power off for four hours and broke down a lot more tree branches. I hear theres damage on the lakes too at the boat launches etc. Its building up here this evening for another severe storm. I got out before it hit to have a look at my closest canola field. Not bad but pretty uneven. I think there will be a lot more coming up in the next few days. 

IMG_2509[1].JPG

• Like 2

I will have to take a picture of crops here. About the central 1/3 of North Dakota is in the worst drought since the 1930s. There is durum seeded in spots for 65 days in some areas and looks to be about a 5 bpa crop. Ranchers are dumping pairs as there isn’t any grass for them. Last week they had 1200 pairs in local barn, 700 the week before talking 1200 again this week. It is supposed to storm like heck tonite and there was big rains to the south yesterday so maybe hope for later emerging crops.