2021 crop pics

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Looks like I'll be seeding into June for sure this year. 

That will be two of us.  Got a weeks worth of seeding left and have had 4” of snow and 1.25” of rain the last 4 days.  And calling for cool wet weather till the end of the week.

Had a real nice shower come through this morning. Haven’t been out to the gauge yet but looks to be around a inch. Should do a world of good for my canola that was siting in powder on that summerfallow piece I rented. Setting us up nicely anyways. Hopefully the rest of the crop comes up nicely and we can start spraying in a week or two. 

On 5/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, db1486 said:

A few pics from this spring so far. Been busy picking stones too lol. Last one is the smoke 2 days ago from the fires up poor farmers way

Snapchat-1724680486.thumb.jpg.924911b2e12bc3720b44aeba7b93281c.jpg

Snapchat-454214492.thumb.jpg.477edf8644c0fe9c4ca9b1e0f53954e5.jpg

Snapchat-105275899.thumb.jpg.2534d5ec92c6d98be489ccd0cd40a200.jpg

Snapchat-1050442340.thumb.jpg.7e99551c930994e6b291de37559c5e0b.jpg

1169036673_Screenshot_20210522-144926_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.eaf7dd62520bf72b68cfd70abbdd61aa.jpg

Snapchat-1431355235.thumb.jpg.cb21d5ec85d1c458dec057c748a2e780.jpg

Those are some big stones, we get the odd big one come up around here, maybe about half the size of yours.  The average size around here is smaller than a basketball.

Here is a picture of my forage BOP (barley oats peas) for cereal silage.

This picture was taken five days after seeding.

DEC84977-D513-42E4-BD35-9FD6F2B8F9AB.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Those are some big stones, we get the odd big one come up around here, maybe about half the size of yours.  The average size around here is smaller than a basketball.

Those are pretty average stones around here. Lots of basketball size as well buy then there are the ones the size of the skid steer. Those ones I don't get too crazy trying to dig out lol. Maybe if I buy a hoe those ones will get gone

Those are some nice green rows coming up. Looking good! What row spacing is that? The ground must be good and warm there. Just over a week and we still couldn't see any rows coming up on our wheat and oats. Usually 3 or 4 days can see something but the ground temp just isn't quite where it should be. Although today was a very nice day so maybe some popped out today

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Looks like that shot up pretty quick. Looks nice.  We’re usually around 2 weeks before the crop fills in and gets up that tall. Really varies with soil temp and weather though. I’ve had canola showing up as quick as 3 days after seeding. This year dads was about 5. Mines still coming up yet as some of it was just siting in dust so the rain today will really help.  Another week and you should be able to see rows of canola at home I think. They’re such a small plant to begin with it takes a long time before they’re visible from afar. 

• Like 1

Frost predicted for us tonight. I'm glad the one canola field I have seeded is probably all still underground now. Rain showers every day for the past five so my seeder has not moved in almost a week. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Frost predicted for us tonight. I'm glad the one canola field I have seeded is probably all still underground now. Rain showers every day for the past five so my seeder has not moved in almost a week. 

Good luck with seeding  Ralph. They are predicting frost here in ND for next 3 nights. We had our crop custom seeded this year so we are done. It has been dry here since last august. No significant moisture until last week we got about 1 inch in 2 thunderstorms. So we should be good for a couple weeks.

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Same story here. There was snow in the forecast for tomorrow but not sure if that changed. We moved out to start canola this morning after a little shower and a bigger shower rolled in. Maybe this evening we will get started again

7 hours ago, db1486 said:

Same story here. There was snow in the forecast for tomorrow but not sure if that changed. We moved out to start canola this morning after a little shower and a bigger shower rolled in. Maybe this evening we will get started again

Nothing doing here. On a 40 mile round trip I saw a lot of seeding machinery parked in fields. Water standing in low spots that they seeded through last week before the rain. I didn't get over to check my one field of canola but took this picture of the neighbour's field right by my yard. It was seeded earlier than mine and there are a few plants up already. We'll see how they look after a night or two of frost. Hopefully all will survive. 

canola May 25.JPG

• Like 1

Clear and cool here tonight too. Great big moon coming up so who knows what’ll happen. Canola made it through the frost last week so hopefully it doesn’t get much colder tonight. 

Didn’t rain much here today at all. Water puddles in the yard are starting to disappear and you can almost walk to the shop without getting muddy. Water soaked in pretty quick. 

8911DA54-7F79-4B4A-99F5-FE2BED1D7685.jpeg

We almost hit -3(28f) here overnight. Still -2.5  tonight is supposed to be colder. Not good on the hay crops and anything that is out

Just checked the neighbour's canola plants at noon after last night's slight frost. I don't see any damage yet. My potatoes leaves do look a little dark. 

Crops seem to be progressing after the frost. My canola is still coming up but I can at least see it now lol. The rain we got helped it a lot I’m sure. The cereals are coming along really nicely. Possibly the best emergence we’ve ever had. Maybe conditions were just better this year with no mud to deal with maybe I’m just finally figuring it out after 10 years I don’t know not complaining anyways lol. 

Dads canola at home you can start to make out rows now without getting down on the ground to look. 

Worked up the last little piece of my brush cutting that I couldn’t seed earlier this spring. Everything else where I brushcut seems to be coming up ok.  Last 3 pics are all fresh breaking. 

044C69A5-2288-47D2-B625-3469A74361C3.jpeg

70A675A0-F84C-499F-827B-323DDB4158B1.jpeg

5D316FCA-F3D2-487E-9DA5-04BE13D11E0D.jpeg

064AC414-8851-4D2D-9DDD-BFE32DDA8667.jpeg

4061127E-69D2-4E09-95BA-1332517A859D.jpeg

D6D62F28-A847-4557-B602-4FEB817DC032.jpeg

• Like 4

Your crps loook good and way ahead of ours. I just finished my last field of canola today. I hear some talking of re-seeding due to frost damage but I have not been to check my earliest field. I don't think it would have been up big enough to damage. 

IMG_2496[1].JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Your crps loook good and way ahead of ours. I just finished my last field of canola today. I hear some talking of re-seeding due to frost damage but I have not been to check my earliest field. I don't think it would have been up big enough to damage. 

IMG_2496[1].JPG

Good to hear you got the canola wrapped up. All done now? Hasn’t been anyone reseeding around here that I know if. I took my left over canola back on Tuesday so I called it good then. Take what we get sort of thing. I think it will be ok though. Seems to be coming back from it anyways. Hopefully the frost risk has come and gone now.   Oils be getting dry by the end of next week again though. I see where they’re callI got for a high of +32°C here on Thursday. Not looking forward to that. 

Will have to take a picture of North Dakota. Crop emergence is horrible, pastures aren’t growing  and about half the state is in extreme drought category. We did get 1 inch of rain about A week ago so later seeded crops are emerging better. Local land hog has some durum in since April 10 and about 1/2 of fields aren’t emerged yet. The other better operators seeded about 600 acres on Good Friday before Easter. Almost 60 days gone by and you can just row field of durum now. It should be in flag leaf stage by now.

• Sad 3

13 hours ago, dale560 said:

Will have to take a picture of North Dakota. Crop emergence is horrible, pastures aren’t growing  and about half the state is in extreme drought category. We did get 1 inch of rain about A week ago so later seeded crops are emerging better. Local land hog has some durum in since April 10 and about 1/2 of fields aren’t emerged yet. The other better operators seeded about 600 acres on Good Friday before Easter. Almost 60 days gone by and you can just row field of durum now. It should be in flag leaf stage by now.

Hopefully the later seeded stuff comes through at least. Sounds like the early stuff may not amount to much.  Pretty tough to sit in the ground that long and not have it rot unless it it’s absolute bone dry luckily never completely experienced that. 

Ended up taking the afternoon off when my sister and brother in law unexpectedly showed up with their truck and quad this morning. I went with them up to the river and we spent some time driving around a quarter of land they had bought a few years ago but haven’t really been on much since. Went down to the river after that and my brother in law tried to catch some fish.  Nothing was biting though. River is sure low. There’s places you could walk across if you really had to. Pick your spots and you could drive a cat or excavator across now I’m sure.  Still some deeper channels in spots so a guy can’t get to brave though lol. 

Got home and went out to have a look at the canola again. It’s coming along ok but I have to spray the headlands tomorrow night for flea beetles. They’re real bad along the bush and road. 

B701B6E1-0E82-4642-A977-41022F0D745C.jpeg

0632A9C3-D79E-4AC5-AA5E-AB8C5F4CDDDA.jpeg

F24959F9-F65F-4358-8545-DA7E71C2B398.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, db1486 said:

Those are some nice green rows coming up. Looking good! What row spacing is that? The ground must be good and warm there.

That part of the field is light sandy soil, The north end of the field is heavy clay so it was a little bit slower and coming up.
 The rows are 6 inches apart.

We had five or six days of +30°C temperatures so it warmed up the ground pretty quick, we haven’t had any rain most of the spring and it’s getting pretty dry now!
 From what I can tell the hayfields look better than last year, but I won’t know until I get it baled! Hopefully it’s not a repeat of last year, first cut was about 30% of the average yield!

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 10:09 AM, dale560 said:

Hope you get some rain that way. That was our past couple springs. This year is still dry, buy there is good moisture in the seed bed, so things are off to a good start. We still need rain though. Over around Portage to Winnipeg area there was a couple guys going Easter weekend too so I'm curious to see how things are looking there. They were extremely dry there too.

2 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

That part of the field is light sandy soil, The north end of the field is heavy clay so it was a little bit slower and coming up.
 The rows are 6 inches apart.

We had five or six days of +30°C temperatures so it warmed up the ground pretty quick, we haven’t had any rain most of the spring and it’s getting pretty dry now!
 From what I can tell the hayfields look better than last year, but I won’t know until I get it baled! Hopefully it’s not a repeat of last year, first cut was about 30% of the average yield!

A week of those temperatures will definitely make things look good off the start. That's the forecast here for this week. 37 or something by Friday! Things are going to really green up now lol. Our hay fields are looking ok but the -8 and -3 nights last week sure set them back. Curled the alfalfa plants over and they were pretty yellow a few days ago. Not gonna bank on getting a 2nd cut here this year. We had a few years in a row of yields like that and that is not fun. Luckily we usually sell hay so we had enough by not selling but guys that just put up enough for themselves couldn't even make half the winter those years. Hopefully you don't get a repeat of last year!

• Like 1

Well we wrapped up seeding on the weekend. Everything is in and ready to grow lol. Wheat is all up nice, oats is coming. Canola and flax should be starting to poke through this week, so hopefully our frosty mornings are done with. Looks like the lows this week are higher than the highs were last week when we got seeding again. It just didn't really feel like seeding weather this spring, but I guess the crop is in so we will see lol

Here's some pics from the last few days. First is the last seeded wheat today, and 2nd one is the sky to the north at midnight. Can sure tell they got alot longer daylight hours than we do right now. Rest are just random pictures I took. Can't seem to flip the last one

Snapchat-2067860568.thumb.jpg.d1412ff2b52b7c822fadd200f2e9ac04.jpg

Snapchat-1429576055.thumb.jpg.5cc677ef57ca6fc74e8fb2aa278d376e.jpg

Snapchat-835748950.thumb.jpg.baac0f14e44a600a643ef22f3c02339b.jpg

Snapchat-238192583.thumb.jpg.e06ec35937fc4c8bc5e7fc3057851081.jpg

Snapchat-1012876292.thumb.jpg.ee233e1337079a1d719511e843f95c5f.jpg

Snapchat-694490711.thumb.jpg.c56b31cd8218de2c3a05f32723a1d2c0.jpg

Snapchat-1231597905.thumb.jpg.f742d56c430b72a1d6d6cc503bc2b9c3.jpg

Snapchat-6720724.thumb.jpg.4ee8e1079c01d37154a9a9643e6a90a2.jpg

Snapchat-951074188.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1