2021 crop pics

Well guess I can update the post a little bit. Hopefully some of the others will chime in and let us know how things went too.  

We finished up the last of the canola yesterday. (Sept 19)  everything is off and I’m the bin/semi now. Have a partial load that had some green canola seeds that were going to just haul straight in. Some stuff from the sand that didn’t want to mature so we just took it off and separated it as best as I could.  

Yields were kind of all over the map. The wheat was quite good for the year. It averaged just over 50. The barley was somewhat poor but basically what I expected, it averaged 41. The canola Was a little disappointing. I thought we might be able to maintain a 30 bushel average but it didn’t make it. Came in closer to 25. 

Have to spray everything now as there’s so much second growth after the 3-4 inches of rain we got. Nicer canola Stand now on the sand then all summer lol. Stayed warm till dec we could get a good crop lol. Hopefully it doesn’t as I want to be snowmobiling in a little Over a month lol. 

Equipment ran not to bad this harvest. Had a bunch of stupid little things go wrong but nothing to major. Had to pull the front drum out mid harvest on the 2188 thanks to a locking collar that let go. It let the shaft slide over and took out the one inner bearing flange started to rub on the support arm and it didn’t take long to almost saw it off. The plus was my bands I welded on held up good lol. Put something through the combine on the headland on the one quarter and took out a chopper knives too. Thankfully it didn’t hurt the new concave that I put under the chopper.  The header caused us a bit of grief, had some problems with the knife head and drive. Seemed to be working good at the end though once I got everything repaired. Also had one roller bearing go out so I changed the whole roller out.  It certainly didn’t pay for itself this year but we’ve got it now for future use. Might try some canola with it next year. 

Got The combines all blown off today and the swathers almost ready to put away. Hopefully have all the equipment put away by the end of the week. Maybe start doing some dirt work with the cat and hoe again. 

Overall it wasn’t a bad harvest and we got enough grain off we don’t have to have wiener water soup all winter so it’s not all bad

9C933475-D7A5-46CE-BCD6-FF737CF80CF2.jpeg

AED8A39E-2D97-40A6-9CA8-2F621A14949C.jpeg

5976FB07-8BB5-495E-934C-8BA022CE8E09.jpeg

062478EF-DF7E-4BBB-8BE8-26BF7E72B9B6.jpeg

E272D8F5-C2D2-42F6-944D-78B127A125D0.jpeg

AE73A3D7-574F-4396-8110-0E6C43C3CF36.jpeg

98E0DD56-DB55-45C7-9837-18EBA1FD0030.jpeg

7A10C582-DB58-470E-BD1B-4501CAE3715F.jpeg

933AAB1A-3018-4768-91EA-764C828767F7.jpeg

5F4CE2DC-4C67-4F5B-B54A-CD0348023F52.jpeg

9B9BA362-C77E-4E0A-862B-0EA53A951607.jpeg

D1BEA46A-22EC-4771-B079-530BD167008B.jpeg

DE03F4EF-7578-476A-B043-01E31E74DF5C.jpeg

7065B2D0-CEEA-4334-AA6B-DC6466EFE219.jpeg

27C1865A-9F05-4E09-BF54-CAC7956DB842.jpeg

345EB4FB-59D5-48EC-A749-8C402FCED4DE.jpeg

586DDCD2-FE96-45D2-846A-AF915DBF9B6C.jpeg

D93E7626-1CA3-4596-BBAD-50FB1ED6E149.jpeg

CBC5967F-65D7-46D5-A523-85E57A85B623.jpeg

870C3E40-00D9-4B16-AAFD-C4EB272AD6A1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Harvest is cruising along here. It's really spread out this year. Started wheat Aug 16, then had a 2 week break with rain and then we were rolling again sep long and it's just been going on something everyday. And fixing, seems like lots of fixing lol. 

Finished the cereals a week ago today. Ran not bad. No bumper crops but we've had worse. Overall wheat was just below average for us and oats was half of what we're used to. The straw situation is terrible too. We dropped every bit we could but still ended up chopping quite a bit where there was nothing. As it is I've been chasing swaths trying to make a bale. Where we would normally get 1.5-2 bale an acre this year is maybe .25-.5 bale an acre.

Canola is all down, and hoping to try combining the first stuff later this week. Swaths look not bad but we will see once we're in it. Lots of regrowth and late flush. It's a sea of yellow between the swaths on lots of everyone's canola fields. We got one field of flax that is full bloom again now too. It's gonna be a mess I'm sure. And for the first time I can ever remember, we are going to do some second cut oats for greenfeed. Looks as good as first cut was lol

As usual, here a few pics from this fall

Snapchat-1976744904.thumb.jpg.74406a534c38355a9d0ce7fed454c31b.jpg

Snapchat-144297189.thumb.jpg.2e06069c145d34300eff52da5731f2bb.jpg

Snapchat-951549805.thumb.jpg.ff6d5f43a95897f21eb4ab849db528c7.jpg

Snapchat-837092255.thumb.jpg.ed1bb925dc98c26fea700eb6dac22e8a.jpg

Snapchat-1197855298.thumb.jpg.f5e136ee665568f9de0688cf0d15a161.jpg

Snapchat-258943143.thumb.jpg.b34c3ea699f86820a6354e577e4aed67.jpg

Snapchat-2020778059.thumb.jpg.df3dbfff27fa73f5abf5686fb1d10de3.jpg

• Like 2

What would harvest be without a few breakdowns lol. Hopefully no trips needed to come up my way or order parts from our area this fall at least. Our  cereals were all fairly short too. Enough straw we probably could ha e swathed it but it still would’ve been bad if it had rained on it as it would’ve been almost on the ground. I had to cut real low with the straight cut to get the barley and the wheat wasn’t a lot better.  Was kind of nice to just handle it the one time and be done with it. I noticed on my canola I had quite a bit of shelling this time.  Under the swaths it was quite green. I don’t know if it was all from swathing or if it was so dry it was cracking open in the wind. Sure seemed to be a lot more then at home. Stuff at home was combined a week- ten days before mine. It was actually riper too when I swathed it so it doesn’t really make sense. 

edit- also my 1202 swather died on the road on the way to the first feild this year the bolts on the flywheel that has the gear on it to drivve the hydraulic pumps broke causing everything to stop had to disable the hubs and pull it off the road and get it all custom swathed as parts were all over the country to fix it, and later that night the pressure tank in the basement sprung a leak flooded abit 

Harvest was crazy here but a quick one my 7088 went down right out of the gate breaking a bolt on one of the shaker arms and destroying the whole sieve, arms and everything 

so the ol 2188 took most of it off same as everyone yields were all over i followed the combine with the sprayer and took care of the weeds and i finally got my combine back 2 weeks later in time to help finish the last 3 quarters of canola, we had some hail go though a few weeks ago and damage some crop my standing canola which was a complete disaster to begin with and hail made it worse, finished combining on Saturday, the area is mostly done the big guys are finishing up as well 

now to do up some dirt work and odd jobs for the next month  should spray more probably but round up is still going up in price 

ment to give you guys updates but the forums wouldn't let me post here for some reason 

• Like 1

I could handle harvest with a few breakdowns. No trips to your neck of the woods, yet anyway lol. I almost called out there for a tie rod, since it broke the ball stud, but we got a truck one and going to make up a new one. I welded the stud back to the ball without welding the socket part solid and so far its been holding but too much hilly fields and road travel coming up to chance my welding lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wheatking said:

edit- also my 1202 swather died on the road on the way to the first feild this year the bolts on the flywheel that has the gear on it to drivve the hydraulic pumps broke causing everything to stop had to disable the hubs and pull it off the road and get it all custom swathed as parts were all over the country to fix it, and later that night the pressure tank in the basement sprung a leak flooded abit 

Harvest was crazy here but a quick one my 7088 went down right out of the gate breaking a bolt on one of the shaker arms and destroying the whole sieve, arms and everything 

so the ol 2188 took most of it off same as everyone yields were all over i followed the combine with the sprayer and took care of the weeds and i finally got my combine back 2 weeks later in time to help finish the last 3 quarters of canola, we had some hail go though a few weeks ago and damage some crop my standing canola which was a complete disaster to begin with and hail made it worse, finished combining on Saturday, the area is mostly done the big guys are finishing up as well 

now to do up some dirt work and odd jobs for the next month  should spray more probably but round up is still going up in price 

ment to give you guys updates but the forums wouldn't let me post here for some reason 

Good to hear you’re all done. Forum was  due to some political content so we got a timeout for a while. Last night was the first it came back online. Missed the daily updates from everyone.

Don’t quote me but it seems there were some updates to the pump drive on our swathers. I remember our dealer checking the serial number and saying oh good those updates have been done on it. Just can’t remember exactly what they were.  I’ve got a bit of a ratcheting sound coming from the shaker drive or shaker bushings on the 2188. Not sure yet what’s wrong. Seems to be more in the drive but that was all new about 7 years ago and I haven’t put enough hours on it yet to wear it out I don’t think. I’ve never done shaker bushings yet,  thinking there’s around 1200-1400 hours on them now as they appeared to be done before we got the machine. Next summers project I guess lol.  Just about 5300 hours on the old girl now so overall it didn’t pretty good as most of the trouble wasn’t really the combines fault.  Oil pressure sender gave me grief one night, the relay for the hydraulics was clicking constantly. Tracked it down to the engine oil pressure sender being faulty. 

Roundup sure has gone up. Picked up some weathermax transorb from the dealer here as it was cheaper then the generic stuff. Was still 85$ a jug though. Spraying everything this fall though as the weeds are bad. Was counting tonight and my rented land today was the 5th time I’ve sprayed it this summer for weeds. New record for me lol. 

7 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

A few pics from last week cutting sorghum. It was a heck of a crop and I had to go slow to get it cut, but there will be lots of bales.

F4C29BAD-956E-4338-B999-1A0CF8EDD358.jpeg

1DFDB962-29DE-4AC3-B693-3849C1590897.jpeg

A995F69B-6585-4073-9FD9-15A17AFE46CA.jpeg

Will be lots of stopping and tying bales by the looks it are you doing silage and wrapping the bales? Takes a while to dry down I imagine. 

the 1203s automatically had the updates the update can be installed in the 1202's which i turned down the last time this broke and tried to get this time and was on back order for who know how long, so we fixed it again the original way

the ratcheting sound could be the bearings on the hex shaft ? my 2388 i had the bearing went causing some bad thing but caught soon enough nothing bad happened

just finished spraying today, i want to spray more but the cost is getting crazy time for the weather to kill it now, sprayed alot of round up and heat which worked very well can see results on everything ive sprayed so now just start cleaning things off and packing away, got some rocks to pick and some old fence to tear down as i seem to be farming closer and closer to it 

11 minutes ago, wheatking said:

the 1203s automatically had the updates the update can be installed in the 1202's which i turned down the last time this broke and tried to get this time and was on back order for who know how long, so we fixed it again the original way

the ratcheting sound could be the bearings on the hex shaft ? my 2388 i had the bearing went causing some bad thing but caught soon enough nothing bad happened

just finished spraying today, i want to spray more but the cost is getting crazy time for the weather to kill it now, sprayed alot of round up and heat which worked very well can see results on everything ive sprayed so now just start cleaning things off and packing away, got some rocks to pick and some old fence to tear down as i seem to be farming closer and closer to it 

So far ours has been trouble free thankfully. Other then servicing I haven’t really spent anything on it. Haven’t even brok a guard or section lol. Bought a box of sections and a couple spare guards when we got the swather. I ended up using the spares on the straight cut header this fall and finally took a few sections out of the box for the straight cut. 

I put new bearings on the shaker arms, the larger ones on the eccentric drive when I put the new shaft in The support bearings for that shaft appeared to be fairly new so I didn’t change them. It’s possible one of them has gone though or is failing. Wish I had a larger shop where I could leave stuff in through the winter and work on it when I have time. Would be nice to really go through it from end to end. 

We had a little rain this week, but this is usually a pretty dry part of the world. Planning on doing the sorghum as dry hay, hope to start baleing the first stuff I cut by this weekend

• Like 1

Well I finished up spraying today. Was kind of almost a shame to spray the canola as it was coming so nice lol. Another 2 months and we could’ve had a second crop lol. Managed to run out of chemical with 2 acres left so had to run to town and pick k up another jug. Grabbed some antifreeze for the sprayer while I was in there so hopefully get it flushed out tomorrow morning and winterized. Will be the first fall I haven’t had to put the sprayer in the shop overnight due to cold weather I think. 

4441B5C9-AF39-4EFB-BD16-9C66EC5555FC.jpeg

Its been slow going for me, seems I've been harvesting all September and still 90 acres of oats to go. Just finished swathing them today and might be ready to try in a day or two. Wheat yields were pretty good considering the season. Canola disappointing. Took a couple of hours to fill the hopper on the 7721. Thats right,, John Deere had to do it all this year. The 1660 was leaking oil bad enough from the pto/engine joint that I didn't even take it to the field. 7721 gas more capacity in straight line work but you lose so much time on fields that have a lot of corners like mine. The Magnum had a few bugs. Batteries died completely one day on startup. Found an unexplained anti freeze leak up at the front of the head that might be the head gasket. The 7721 gave it a good workout on some of the better canola swaths but still didn't use much more than 4 gallons fuel an hour. 

The JD 2360 swather got a lot more use this year as all the wheat I normally straight cut had to be swathed for the pull type combine. I had a driver for some of it. It lost about a pail of hydrostatic oil one day from an undetected hose leak. 

Here is a picture of me combining while my nephew swaths ahead of me. Sept. 11.  

swath combine sept 11.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Its been slow going for me, seems I've been harvesting all September and still 90 acres of oats to go. Just finished swathing them today and might be ready to try in a day or two. Wheat yields were pretty good considering the season. Canola disappointing. Took a couple of hours to fill the hopper on the 7721. Thats right,, John Deere had to do it all this year. The 1660 was leaking oil bad enough from the pto/engine joint that I didn't even take it to the field. 7721 gas more capacity in straight line work but you lose so much time on fields that have a lot of corners like mine. The Magnum had a few bugs. Batteries died completely one day on startup. Found an unexplained anti freeze leak up at the front of the head that might be the head gasket. The 7721 gave it a good workout on some of the better canola swaths but still didn't use much more than 4 gallons fuel an hour. 

The JD 2360 swather got a lot more use this year as all the wheat I normally straight cut had to be swathed for the pull type combine. I had a driver for some of it. It lost about a pail of hydrostatic oil one day from an undetected hose leak. 

Here is a picture of me combining while my nephew swaths ahead of me. Sept. 11.  

swath combine sept 11.JPG

Good to hear you’re getting close Ralph. Looks like the weather should hold for you.Was a nice looking lower houred 1680 on Kijiji I almost sent you a link. Think they wanted 12 or 15,000 for it.  Hopefully the antifreeze leak is nothing to serious.  The 2188 seemed to burn more fuel this fall in the wheat and barley. Not sure if I was working it that much harder with the header on or what the case may be. Seemed to suck it up anyways. Once I got back on canola then it was easy on fuel again. I did 110 acres the one day and used 3/4 of a tank roughly maybe a little less. Was running on fumes the one night with the header on but I didn’t have it right full when I started either. 

6A937655-B4F7-4030-A6E1-36F855527E8C.jpeg

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Good to hear you’re getting close Ralph. Looks like the weather should hold for you.Was a nice looking lower houred 1680 on Kijiji I almost sent you a link. Think they wanted 12 or 15,000 for it. 

I think I saw that 1680 listed. Has a few less hours than my 1660. In the 4 to 4500 hour range. We are just sick of doing that same repair on the 1660 every few years as it never seems to last and its a big job with all the disassembly required.  

Just now, Loadstar said:

I think I saw that 1680 listed. Has a few less hours than my 1660. In the 4 to 4500 hour range. We are just sick of doing that same repair on the 1660 every few years as it never seems to last and its a big job with all the disassembly required.  

Yes that’s definitely a shame that it didn’t last longer after going to all that trouble.  As I remember you replaced quite a few parts on it last go around too. I seem to remember sdman chiming in with some tips And tricks.  Would be nice to know the exact cause of the leak for sure so a guy could fix it for good as I’m sure the rest of the combine is still in pretty good shape. 

Not a whole lot new on my front,  got everything tucked away in the shed on thursday. Earliest I’ve had that stuff put away for the season I think.  Dad was out today on the home quarter doing some recreational tillage I’ll call it lol. Didn’t really need to be done but he was out doing something anyways. Have some sloughs and a few other spots I want to work up yet before freeze up. Have the cat at the shop getting it serviced and ready to go as well. Hoping to move some more dirt this fall and maybe a little bit of brush cutting on the home quarter as well. Have one little bush left in the southwest corner that I’ve been leaving as it’s kind of a nice secluded spot. Mostly black poplar though and they’re over mature and dying out now.  Small slough in the bottom but there’s enough of a bank I think I can slope it and fill the slough in. 

Brothers coming out tomorrow to go quadding I guess by the sounds of it. Hopefully he is anyways as I had him pick up some parts for the cat.  I was out tonight for a little ride on the dirt bike. Hasn’t been out since before harvest so figured it was overdue for a little rip lol. Went back up to the creek again. Leaves are starting to turn along the river now.  Was a pile of snow geese out in our wheat and barley fields on my way home so I scared them out. 

3622FF8F-743F-48C7-A9CE-50CC63039420.jpeg

ECA07977-45EB-4F2F-8564-ECD8AD21130C.jpeg

B59ACE90-131D-4276-855F-06556086302B.jpeg

03B0F5C0-D0EB-427F-8953-9001AC2316E8.png

1FCC3BC9-2945-481F-8843-365CBB8ADC94.png

• Like 3

Finished harvest today. Nice to be done at 4:30 in the afternoon instead of 12:40 am like last night. The 7721 got the whole thing done without a problem. Various leaks on the Magnum did not get bad enough to cause a problem. Last field of oats was a poor and thin crop as I never applied any anhydrous, just a little granular with the seed. It was a cover crop for a grass alfalfa mix on this little 40 acre field. Some video of the day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Finished harvest today. Nice to be done at 4:30 in the afternoon instead of 12:40 am like last night. The 7721 got the whole thing done without a problem. Various leaks on the Magnum did not get bad enough to cause a problem. Last field of oats was a poor and thin crop as I never applied any anhydrous, just a little granular with the seed. It was a cover crop for a grass alfalfa mix on this little 40 acre field. Some video of the day. 

Awesome, congrats Ralph. Glad to hear you’re wrapped up. Make any plans for the 1660 yet?  Dads little oat field wasn’t great. He swathed it and then had almost 4 inches of rain on it so that didn’t help any. Elevator still offered him 5.00 a bu though. He had it seeded for pony oats but I kind of just want to haul it straight in to the elevator. It’s still in a pile in the ground now and I’d rather not shovel it twice.  Was only 18 acres thankfully so it was no big loss at least. 

nothing to new here either, sold a few loads of grain this week time to get down to the business bill paying part of the job i guess 

hooked onto the cultivator and tried the ground is getting hard and dry here so may not even do any of that this yr

On 9/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, db1486 said:

Harvest is cruising along here. It's really spread out this year. Started wheat Aug 16, then had a 2 week break with rain and then we were rolling again sep long and it's just been going on something everyday. And fixing, seems like lots of fixing lol. 

Finished the cereals a week ago today. Ran not bad. No bumper crops but we've had worse. Overall wheat was just below average for us and oats was half of what we're used to. The straw situation is terrible too. We dropped every bit we could but still ended up chopping quite a bit where there was nothing. As it is I've been chasing swaths trying to make a bale. Where we would normally get 1.5-2 bale an acre this year is maybe .25-.5 bale an acre.

Canola is all down, and hoping to try combining the first stuff later this week. Swaths look not bad but we will see once we're in it. Lots of regrowth and late flush. It's a sea of yellow between the swaths on lots of everyone's canola fields. We got one field of flax that is full bloom again now too. It's gonna be a mess I'm sure. And for the first time I can ever remember, we are going to do some second cut oats for greenfeed. Looks as good as first cut was lol

As usual, here a few pics from this fall

Snapchat-1976744904.thumb.jpg.74406a534c38355a9d0ce7fed454c31b.jpg

Snapchat-144297189.thumb.jpg.2e06069c145d34300eff52da5731f2bb.jpg

Snapchat-951549805.thumb.jpg.ff6d5f43a95897f21eb4ab849db528c7.jpg

Snapchat-837092255.thumb.jpg.ed1bb925dc98c26fea700eb6dac22e8a.jpg

Snapchat-1197855298.thumb.jpg.f5e136ee665568f9de0688cf0d15a161.jpg

Snapchat-258943143.thumb.jpg.b34c3ea699f86820a6354e577e4aed67.jpg

Snapchat-2020778059.thumb.jpg.df3dbfff27fa73f5abf5686fb1d10de3.jpg

I see stooks, must have a helper out back stacking?

59 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I see stooks, must have a helper out back stacking?

The poor man on the stooker was me that day. The helper was in the tractor lol