2021 crop pics

Finished swathing canola today. It is not bad considering the hot, dry summer. Naturally I stopped in one of the best parts of the field to take a picture. 

IMG_2722[1].JPG

• Like 5

On 8/17/2021 at 11:03 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks good Ralph. Hopefully have all of our canola down within the next week.  Have one quarter on sand that’s very poor that we might have to wait a few weeks on though. Seems to be getting greener after the rain.  Same with the barley to a lesser extent. 

Put the duramax to work today and went fo a road trip. West of Saskatoon to a small town called major. Almost on the Alberta border. Went and picked up that header today. 927 kms round trip.  Was slower coming home of course. Went from kerrobert to unity cut knife and then battleford to pa on the way home. Was some rough roads between biggar and major.  Never been down I’m that corner much before. Been to Denzil north of there but never south at all. 

Packed the truck full of tools and parts just in case I had any problems.  Thankfully it was a uneventful trip. Road construction was a bit of a pain with the passing lanes they’re making on some of the highways. Don’t think I took out any pylons though with the header lol.  Was raining pretty hard when I got back to pa too. Was awful hard to see on the wet fresh asphalt. That dark black just absorbed all the light from my headlights. 

D6CDC3FE-87B9-4C05-BA5D-227E23944C07.jpeg

1A4D4F22-DC51-463F-A9EB-A62505053398.jpeg

8D6650D9-6F28-408D-BF37-64F52D748859.jpeg

F87A8EAF-1B5A-4CC8-8AA0-75E723D5621A.jpeg

From what I see that is a nice looking header. They tow realy well and many are towed hundreds of miles when they leave the factory . From the paint co;or it looks like a NH 94c with a CIH adaptor . It should serve you well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IKS said:

From what I see that is a nice looking header. They tow realy well and many are towed hundreds of miles when they leave the factory . From the paint co;or it looks like a NH 94c with a CIH adaptor . It should serve you well.

Yup that’s exactly what it is. New Holland version of the sp30.  It’s in pretty decent shape from what I can tell. I haven’t hooked it up yet as I’ve been doing a few things to it. It hasn’t seen a lot of use but it’s spent some time outside. Paint is still in pretty good shape for a honey bee though. Better then our swather anyways.  The one reel arm is cracked a wee bit on the top. That’s kind of the only other thing that will need attention eventually that I’ve found. I believe it’s a older crack but the trip home didn’t do it any favors I’m sure. I took it easy on the rough stretches but you could still see the reel bouncing a bit. The nice stretches of highway I was doing 90 km/hr usually.  The road construction was a little slow though.  Hopefully get to try it out here pretty soon. Going to put it on tomorrow I think if it doesn’t rain. 

2 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Finished swathing canola today. It is not bad considering the hot, dry summer. Naturally I stopped in one of the best parts of the field to take a picture. 

IMG_2722[1].JPG

Looks good Ralph. Little greener then we usually cut ours but it does tend to lay a nice swath when it’s like that. 

I went out and cut that little summerfallow field today as it was ready to go down. Crop turned out not to bad. The south end of the field is actually pretty heavy.  

I stoped to check on one of the bolts on the header and found the canvases crawling with flea beetles though. Never seen them that bad this time of the year.   There was no lead damage 2 weeks ago but some of the lower leafs that were still on the plant were sure peppered now. They just won’t go away this year. Lots of aphids too. At first glance I thought it was canola on the canvas but the darn thing jumped when my finger got close. Definitely not canola seed lol.  Not sure what the big tall weed is for sure. Looks like a big tree bit the stem is hollow I believe.  I cut it down anyways. Only one in the field. 

57D50E52-0521-42FE-8484-FD8F6667131B.jpeg

16F187D1-832A-4499-B30E-FCFC1871A7B1.jpeg

EC5D90F2-2373-4997-833F-8509CF5D9763.jpeg

C719B073-F162-4D83-81DB-57D55C7D3A17.jpeg

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Not sure what the big tall weed is for sure. Looks like a big tree bit the stem is hollow I believe.  I cut it down anyways. Only one in the field. 

Have not noticed any beetles here. I am seeing a lot more kochia and what I think might be cleavers everywhere this year. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Have not noticed any beetles here. I am seeing a lot more kochia and what I think might be cleavers everywhere this year. 

If you got cleavers they will wrap up on the reel alot of the time. Same size seed as canola too. We had it bad in spots but got it under control now

• Like 1

Well harvest is underway around here. Was to Winnipeg a week ago and not much wheat left to go around there. Lots of canola down too. Crops look terrible off the road. Further west you get and the better things look, still not great but not bad considering. We started combining on Monday. Never would've thought we would be going Aug 16. That is unheard of in this area. We were straight cutting wheat, beautiful sample, and testing 13. Not desiccated. Quite a few guys going like that too. Heard of some swathed wheat that was testing under 10. We did all that was ready and the rest had some green, but we got a rainy week now so that's ok. Canola is still a couple weeks from going down for us. Heard of flea beetles in the area too. Also had a bit of hail knock out some crops this week 

Not much for pics. Too busy lol. Couple of the neighbours across the road going same night we started 

Screenshot_20210819-233618_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8cb6d3c78f137cd1f40c7f8b124dc06e.jpg

Screenshot_20210819-233624_Gallery.thumb.jpg.bb362df16fd4216e8e2eccfc4c5ee04e.jpg

• Like 2

Well today was one of those days where I was busy all day but didn’t really get a whole lot done by the end of the day. Sprayer is ready to go again and the header is on the combine, that was kind of the big accomplishments lol. 

Ran into a little bit of a hiccup with the new header though. I put it on and went to lift it up to take the transport off and it would just lift it high enough to get the axle out and that was all. Played around with it a bit and checked the pump pressure them got brave and dropped the header down to within a foot of the ground. Lifted it with ease from there.  Seems that once it gets to the point where the accumulator valve cuts in them it struggles to lift it. I’m wondering if maybe I don’t have to do a header calibration again. Pressure shows good on the cheap gauge I have. Slightly high actually but the gauge could be out a bit too.  Lifts it so east till the header gets 3-4 feet off the ground and then it just stops.  Useable anyways that’s the main thing. Hopefully there’s no issues once the oil is warmed up. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Ran into a little bit of a hiccup with the new header though. I put it on and went to lift it up to take the transport off and it would just lift it high enough to get the axle out and that was all. 

Those Honeybees headers are heavy. I tried to lift a 25 foot years ago with my 1660. No way it would even lift it off the ground at full throttle. Lucky I didn't have to drive far to try it out. Stayed with my old IH header. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Those Honeybees headers are heavy. I tried to lift a 25 foot years ago with my 1660. No way it would even lift it off the ground at full throttle. Lucky I didn't have to drive far to try it out. Stayed with my old IH header. 

The fellow that owned it had the exact same combine as us and said he had no problems lifting it so it’s something on our end I suspect either settings, weak pump or who knows what else.  Maybe try it out today on the wheat. I checked it last night and it’s pretty hard. 

here are the latest around here 

image.thumb.png.928f230264622feab941c81e1cf9b6d6.png

image.thumb.png.424ea8d4588458b8192472bf01a8bf3f.png

August 20th, 2021

St Joseph

Yellow Corn

White Corn

no bid

Soybeans

12.71-12.75

LifeLine Foods

Atchison

Yellow Corn

Soybeans

Hard Wheat

Soft Wheat

Kansas City Truck Bids  (per bushel)

Yellow Corn

5.59-6.04

White Corn

no bid

Soybeans

13.20-13.40

Hard Wheat

7.22-7.44

Soft Wheat

6.89-7.09

Sorghum

Well we got started with harvest today. Wheats still not dry but we took a load and a half late this afternoon anyways. Testing around 16.5-17. Fairly nice looking wheat. Still. A bit early to know the yield for sure but it seems to be somewhere around 40-50. Not bad considering the rain we had anyways.  It will likely yield better then the barley oddly enough.  Took off about 30 acres and have 1.5 semi loads off so that’s rough 1500 acres. That’s still only 30 out of 160 on that quarter though so lots can change before it’s all said and done. 

Combine and header are working good so far. Combine had no trouble lifting the header at the headlands just still won’t lift it all the way up. Header comes up about 4’ off the ground and that’s about it.  Can feel the back end is a bit light too. If you slow up real quick you could nose dive fairly easily.  I take it easy when turning though and don’t make any sudden movements on the road with it. 

E87079BF-53FB-46AF-BD30-08739540C330.jpeg

DD10AB34-4572-4AB0-B1B4-340894EC9F3F.jpeg

123E0378-4F63-4104-9D8A-E2C13D0CDA3B.jpeg

B660B7F1-7053-4BCB-A704-529A77E4DAF0.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, searcyfarms said:

here are the latest around here 

Viterra was offering $20 a bushel for top grade durum on Friday. Not much of it grown here anymore but thats a fantastic price. HRS top grade was at $10.30. Might not be much of that grade either now with the rain we are getting on the crop at harvest time. 

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

Sad part is feed wheat price is that price or maybe even a bit higher now. Pretty hard to let it go as hrs. Especially if protein is down a bit. I heard of some guys paying 10.50 right now for feed barley too. I'm kinda expecting hrs price to jump up since I've heard alot of wheat taken off already was not much better than feed. I guess time will tell

Well we got rained out tonight. I spent all day swathing my canola on the rented land yesterday. Left home at 8:30 with the swather and by 9:00 in the evening I had 200 acres of canola On the ground. My biggest day of swathing with just the one swather going. Didn’t really stop much all day.  Today I got it moved home again around noon and started combining around 2:00 again. Broke down around 5:30 though. The bearing went out on the knife drive where the knife head mounts. Have a new head here but need a new bearing. I felt the play on it this afternoon before I started but was hopping it’d go the day so I could Fix tomorrow after the rain.  Took a sample of wheat in this morning to double check our tester and it was very close at least. Graded it a #1 but the protien is a little bit low. 13. With the drought I thought it would be a bit higher. Yield is making up for it though thankfully. The offered us 10$ a bu for immediate delivery but I suspect I’m might go higher. Least I hope it does lol. 

D5F7E1D9-823A-4AED-9B99-2B9703628911.jpeg

ED91760B-8C1E-4BF2-AD1A-A2960CC6D8D4.jpeg

0D402484-084A-473F-9AB5-EDA220FC8239.jpeg

787EAE25-C7BE-4CAA-8F00-AD574457CB27.jpeg

5B7DCFCD-2C83-468B-8851-190D5C0429A5.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Well we got rained out tonight. I spent all day swathing my canola on the rented land yesterday. Left home at 8:30 with the swather and by 9:00 in the evening I had 200 acres of canola On the ground. My biggest day of swathing with just the one swather going.

That is a good day. If I do a hundred with my 21 foot its a good day. Your swaths look good. Nothing doing here since Friday as it has rained a fair bit. Got another inch and a half in the past 24 hours. Wish it came a couple of months ago. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

We’ve been soggy wet all day here too. About 2:00 I thought it was starting to lift so I took off on my dirt bike for a while. Rains over I said. It’ll be fun I said. One mile north of home it settled back in and never quit. Was gone for almost 4 hours and came home soaking wet lol.  Was still fun and thankfully I didn’t get chilled.  I don’t know how much we’ve had but guessing it must be getting close to a inch. A friend of mine by naicam sent me some pics this afternoon and just a few miles away from his far they had a bad hail storm go through. Missed him but some canola and barley is 100% gone he said.  Some tornadoes popping up in southern Sk too. Crazy weather. 

72B0517C-4727-471B-9C8D-47D3FF9473FF.jpeg

A5C3ED22-0AA6-4F9D-A856-DA6AB0CFA14A.jpeg

23818CC5-2E80-4115-A3D2-A280BC4F53C4.jpeg

094C2756-BDC0-4C7F-9527-14233A3BF227.jpeg

2B2A1C53-A3B1-481C-ADFE-08F6FB0FC9B9.jpeg

A3AEF284-7240-4DD3-9D91-467A92907ADF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

We’ve been soggy wet all day here too. About 2:00 I thought it was starting to lift so I took off on my dirt bike for a while.

Its turning into one of those days here too. Few spots through the morning but by mid day its actual rain showers. Cold and windy. Saw a couple of guys with driers were going on cereals. Guess they saw the long range forecast. All I did was disking down a patch of chem fallow where it appears I have roundup resistant kochia. 

Soaking wet here too again. Was just a light shower this morning and then it quit. Thought we were clear for the day and started getting ready to go into pa for a bit. Skies opened up and it hasn’t quit raining since. I don’t know what we’re at but there’s water laying everywhere around the yard. Not great harvest weather that’s for sure. Next week doesn’t look good either.  Think we need a good hard frost to smarten things up. 

3EEA00C3-136F-4EB9-A3CA-7B7C6DEFD659.png

18 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Soaking wet here too again. Was just a light shower this morning and then it quit. Thought we were clear for the day and started getting ready to go into pa for a bit. Skies opened up and it hasn’t quit raining since. I don’t know what we’re at but there’s water laying everywhere around the yard. Not great harvest weather that’s for sure. Next week doesn’t look good either.  Think we need a good hard frost to smarten things up. 

3EEA00C3-136F-4EB9-A3CA-7B7C6DEFD659.png

That looks like the forecast we just come out of. Looks like some decent weather coming up here now. Got probably not far off 6" of rain in the last week and half. Things are really not that wet though. It's really soaking in. For most guys the rain was too late but it sure helped the pastures and any later canola

Sure hope this weather smartens up pretty soon. As it is I may have to empty the bin the auger is in into a smaller one as the wheat will very likely grade poorer now and I don’t want to mix them. Color won’t be as nice anyways I’m sure.  Barley is all standing yet so hopefully it doesn’t sprout to badly. 

Thinking I might try a sample tomorrow again. Can’t imagine it’ll be dry but with the forecast looking like it is it can’t hurt to try at least. Saying another inch on Tuesday. 

Took the afternoon off again and headed out from home on the quad.  Put on just shy of 130 kms again so a nice ride. Was to wet to do much around the yard yet and to mice to sit in the house lol. Saw quite a few other people out and about in the bush today too so I wasn’t the only one thinking that way I guess.  Those wolf tracks were very fresh too. The sand was still wet around where they’d dug into the ground. Came across some fresh bear and cub tracks too on a trail a little ways west of those wolf tracks. Didn’t want to break down and walk anyways lol.  Didn’t see much for wildlife today. Just a few birds and maybe a rabbit. Looked more white though so I’m not positive it was. About the same size though. 

4E5CFB7B-3BDD-4EA5-9783-D2272009B72F.png

0127EA3C-69EC-4097-B8F0-BD1D0C08D6D2.jpeg

DEDD98BD-EB01-49C6-BFC1-20EBDC28188B.jpeg

7A233CD5-794C-41CC-813C-F53EFD7A0AB4.jpeg

B3618BAF-B95F-47D3-B6A5-0ACC517EE4FD.jpeg

4C4976E7-74EE-4D6E-BF7C-E36BE09978C1.jpeg

9D9C415E-C059-4115-9BEB-F83BC2F4F6B5.jpeg

EA7B7477-6C00-4C45-AD2B-38C97439C625.jpeg

D144F321-174F-48C2-B2FD-2D68583E5571.jpeg

BBABDB07-D087-4850-B475-B82CA81D6674.jpeg

• Like 1