2021 crop pics

6 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

was out looking at my canola last night and it’s still blooming pretty good. Stuff at home is starting to get more green then yellow now. You can see where the wheat is burning up on that outside cut that was worked last fall and this spring again. Wasn’t a lot of snow there and it’s showing. Was up by my grandfathers mill site tonight again and hiked up the big hill beside the creek. Hard work climbing a almost vertical hill carrying a chainsaw lol. Not much for traction on that hill either. It’s hard ground underneath with a sandy gravel layer ontop. Not exactly ideal for climbing lol. 
DCD36F45-F2EA-43EC-8BAF-3B3DD12E0EA6.thumb.jpeg.256cc9204cec5d7b569fe9747e6e4716.jpeg

81E3A1B8-3C0E-4DE5-BCE2-102B95B7FCF3.thumb.jpeg.5637c3b25244b38a22a851202c2070c5.jpeg

6A515377-0888-4390-9028-1D7802C35F2B.thumb.jpeg.06695d13ea0f9f43cddabe48da8b4061.jpeg

6BA425D4-2269-45BE-A687-9C9B174B68D7.thumb.jpeg.8d76f239cd3a74bdf0705c2410c7ae64.jpeg
B7F5BCA3-3445-46EB-A4DD-9A0626C56AA4.thumb.jpeg.65cd7da099da3081f527411a90620708.jpeg

EC9D903F-3086-41F3-9249-24630C9CA05D.thumb.jpeg.8f2145517e0afe9a0eac02a85585a713.jpeg

C1A7E73C-F014-4662-8D70-863BF121DB4E.thumb.jpeg.f0e97eb8d96c032538613d6083944128.jpeg

974FB6E3-088C-46AB-B0E8-2CC264556256.thumb.jpeg.4d6d143c994445ef63654c14c4eeffb1.jpeg

Beautiful country up there . We are just flat and tree less until 10 miles from the border with Canada. Might have to apply for Canadian citizenship and move up to your area.I know years ago a lot of the first generations of immigrants moved up to western Canada .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dale560 said:

Beautiful country up there . We are just flat and tree less until 10 miles from the border with Canada. Might have to apply for Canadian citizenship and move up to your area.I know years ago a lot of the first generations of immigrants moved up to western Canada .

It’s not a bad place to be for sure. Lots of countryside to yourself once you’re off the beaten path. 

My Great grand father came up from Minnesota. My grandfather was actually born in Minnesota. Thief River Falls is where they called home. Still have some distant relatives there but haven’t been in touch with them for years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dale560 said:

.I know years ago a lot of the first generations of immigrants moved up to western Canada .

Kind of the opposite here.  Part of my family homestead in northern Canada near Edmonton but left after 4 years because they couldn't get the crops out of the field before winter.  Too short of growing season and then there was hardly any transportation to get the grain out.  This would have been the early 1900s.  

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Kind of the opposite here.  Part of my family homestead in northern Canada near Edmonton but left after 4 years because they couldn't get the crops out of the field before winter.  Too short of growing season and then there was hardly any transportation to get the grain out.  This would have been the early 1900s.  

All of the great grandparents came from Russia or the Ukraine around 1895 to 1900. They all ended up in Strasbourg ND for a year then ventured north to homestead here in northern ND nothing here either but the railroad went through in 1906 ( soo line) the great northern north tracks through rugby, minot on west to Montana and the coast were 1885 or 86. My moms Aunt moved to great falls Montana in the early 1940s

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

It’s not a bad place to be for sure. Lots of countryside to yourself once you’re off the beaten path. 

My Great grand father came up from Minnesota. My grandfather was actually born in Minnesota. Thief River Falls is where they called home. Still have some distant relatives there but haven’t been in touch with them for years. 

Thief river is a nice town in northern mn just been through it a couple times though. Pretty decent farmland and rivers ,trees there.

• Like 1

Got out to survey some of the damage from yesterday's hail. Cereals, oats and wheat hardly show any but my canola by the yard took quite a beating with flowers knocked off , broken stems, etc. I've put in a hail insurance claim so see what the adjuster says. The 2 and a quarter inch rain is great though. 

IMG_2578[1].JPG

IMG_2579[1].JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Do you know where near Edmonton?

3 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Got out to survey some of the damage from yesterday's hail. Cereals, oats and wheat hardly show any but my canola by the yard took quite a beating with flowers knocked off , broken stems, etc. I've put in a hail insurance claim so see what the adjuster says. The 2 and a quarter inch rain is great though. 

IMG_2578[1].JPG

IMG_2579[1].JPG

Long enough of a fall I bet it will come back ok again. Question is when will it freeze though. That moisture would sure be welcome here too. Can do without the white stuff though.  

Nothing in the forecast here in the near future at all and highs back up close to 100 again. Doesn’t look good.  I checked the wheat tonight that was burning up in that pic and surprisingly it is filling but no where near full yet. 

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Do you know where near Edmonton?

I do not.  I would have to ask.  Since we are on this subject.  I have a neighbor that farmed up in Peace River during the 60s and 70s.   

11 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I do not.  I would have to ask.  Since we are on this subject.  I have a neighbor that farmed up in Peace River during the 60s and 70s.   

That’s a nice area too. I’ve got pictures somewhere going over the Dunvegan bridge. Was probably back in the early 90tys when we went through. Think we had a Pontiac Parisienne Brougham We had a wheel bearing starting to fail when we crossed the bridge and had to go back to Rycroft of Fairview. Can’t remember now which it was. 

• Like 1

Nothing short of miraculous how green the crop stays for as little rain as we have had all spring. That 2 and a quarter inches of rain and hail on the weekend helped no doubt. Took this shot of the Brandon spring wheat field beside where I was raking hay this morning. Hay crop is pitiful. Takes a lot of raking to make a swath. 

IMG_2593[1].JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Nothing short of miraculous how green the crop stays for as little rain as we have had all spring. That 2 and a quarter inches of rain and hail on the weekend helped no doubt. Took this shot of the Brandon spring wheat field beside where I was raking hay this morning. Hay crop is pitiful. Takes a lot of raking to make a swath. 

IMG_2593[1].JPG

Looks a lot greener then ours. Was out looking in the field and there’s some that never even fully headed out. Then you’ll get in along a spot that had more moisture and it’s standing 4’ tall and heads 4-5 inches long. Wheat is starting to turn too and I know for a fact the heads aren’t full.  Canola is podding out and starting to fill but it’s got a long ways to go yet. 

7 hours ago, Loadstar said:

IMG_2593[1].JPG

Looks a lot greener then ours. Was out looking in the field and there’s some that never even fully headed out. Then you’ll get in along a spot that had more moisture and it’s standing 4’ tall and heads 4-5 inches long. Wheat is starting to turn too and I know for a fact the heads aren’t full.  Canola is podding out and starting to fill but it’s got a long ways to go yet. 

Few pictures from tonight. Lots of smoke in the air here. Took the drone up tonight and tried to find the top of the smoke but gave up when it got to a undisclosed height lol.  After the last forum update I can no longer upload my drone shots again. They just show up as a black screen. No failed upload message or anything. File name and size are there but it just shows black.  Only way I can show them now is if I screenshot it then upload it. 

Creek has officially quit running here now. If I had snorkels I could probably drive all the way upstream now with no problems. Still some beaver dams holding water. 

17840B7E-2662-4B85-9CC2-9F63D9F9FAC3.jpeg

BD4C3D76-AD39-442E-81BA-F02F49530A23.jpeg

E7F9E33A-FFAD-4DFA-8001-F4B070CE54EB.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Few pictures from tonight. Lots of smoke in the air here. Took the drone up tonight and tried to find the top of the smoke but gave up when it got to a undisclosed height lol.  

Real heavy smoke rolled in here ysterday afternoon too. Don't know if I"ve ever seen it that thick. About a mile visibility. I thought of sending the drone up to see what level the smoke started but it was either too hot or too dark. I think the smoke is actually helping a bit with the heat and might give the crop a little break. Still quite a bit of flowering on my canola but no telling if they will fall off in the heat we are getting tomorrow. 

Rain skirted past us this morning. Heading north east over the Harding fire so hopefully they get some rain on it and no more fresh fires popping up due to lightning. 

Smokes cleared up a bit this morning but it’s still quite hazy. It may have just lifted some as I couldn’t even see the thunderstorm to the north this morning. Could hear it rumbling though. 

D8595581-0A15-4DBD-9538-F4A33CBB4A90.png

7 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

This was about 8:30 last night

Wow, that was thick smoke. I should have taken a picture as I drove home from baling yesterday evening. I'd say about a mile visibility at best. The moon was clearly visible though. Cleared some today. Missed the rain again as it went South of me. 

Took this shot of the beans today. They are looking better, still some volunteer corn, don't think it will amount to anything. The one thing I'm a little worried about after talking to the agronomist is rootworm next year.

IMG_1052.JPG

That farmyard you can see in the bottom of the pic is just shy of a mile away from here. Course I was up fairly high with the drone. Smokes been heavy enough above that you cannot tell where the clouds are. With the wind change tonight it is clearing out some though. Big thunder storm just skirting past us again. It’s headed for the fire again though so hopefully that’s a plus. 

Went out and checked my canola tonight on the reserve and it’s still blooming fairly good. Been blooming for almost 3 weeks now so that’s a plus at least.  Stuff at home is almost all green now. Barley is almost a write off now ?

571FE88B-BD26-4A06-8854-A137765C010B.jpeg

E72F4079-CC38-420D-BC71-2E25737977A8.jpeg

Some awful bright lightning in the north tonight. Far enough away I can’t hear it but it’s sure lighting up the sky for miles.  Tired to get a pic of the orange moon through the smoke but it doesn’t quite do it justice.  It’s basically pitch black outside right now no editing of the photos that’s how bright it looked outside. The moon is of course a longer exposure so it shows up a little brighter then it really is. 

EED8CCD5-27C6-44F9-B5B0-F3DC93C5C4C8.png

920CC420-08E8-4BA0-92D8-28F50B6F9169.png

5244BFEE-D2C9-437B-AEC6-0E3820BE2451.jpeg

• Like 1

Good try on the moon pictures. Last year we had high smoke for days here in California. None real close all the really big ones where over 100 miles away. Cameras did not like something and never got the full effect of how red the sun was. Tried 3 different cameras and the cheapest did best. 

• Like 1

Well no more rain here yet. It’s been overcast and somewhat cool though so that has helped at least. The smoke had helped hold the heat off somewhat too.  Canola is pretty much done blooming now. Some of mine is still a little yellow but the field at home is pretty much all green now. 

Got the 2188 out a couple days ago and started going over it. Putting new chopper knives on and changing the chopper concave out. It’s been hurt at sometime so I figured I’d change it out while I was at it. Kind of a pain getting it out though. There’s 12 bolts that go across the front. They used those stupid slotted serrated flange bolts. Good when they’re new but trouble when they get old and rusty. Had 5 that I had to grind out. Not my favorite thing to do inside the combine. Always a little scared of fire. 

Was up at the river the other night again too. Wanted to try out my trail I had cut down. Managed to get up the riverbank in about 5 minutes compared to half a hour last time lol. Was a whole pile of geese young and old took off from the shoreline when I got to the top. Not sure if they knew I was there or it was just a fluke. 2nd picture is kind of my vs of where’s Waldo only it’s where’s the dirt bike lol. It’s hiding in the middle of the pic  

FFD417E8-C3FA-4542-A8FE-9804A68A0193.jpeg

378D308E-B811-40F5-A9C4-73680F46B1B4.jpeg

1528919E-5675-4633-96AA-73746E01BB65.jpeg

13C71E54-3AEA-4892-9BFF-89B1DC3D6002.jpeg

• Like 1

ive never replaced one of those under the chopper, my 7088 has bolt on wear plates under the chopper that i replaced when i bought it way nicer than replacing the whole pan i also put all new chopper blades in to i went with redekopp blades a few more bucks but way nicer chopping of straw,  the knives are kinda spaced poorly cant get a strong arm or a ratchet in there just a wrench and usually have to hit with a hammer to get them loose 

still working on equipment here aswell combines are done my headers is almost done just pulled the swather out last night, just need to replace a canvas and a oil change and it should be ready and clean out a couple bins yet 

Crops are still progressing the peas are shutting down the canola is just about done flowering i looked at the first wheat i seeded last night and the seeds were about 3/4 developed, cloudy a lot but no rain has fallen really hope we could catch a thunder storm but they seem to be going north and south of us,  either it rain in the next week or dont rain at all and get harvest under way then rain after harvest as holy i hope we get a lot of snow this winter or we'll be going into  a dry next year with unreal fertilizer cost 

• Like 1

Finally got a bit of rain today but they had pics from southern Manitoba and I would assume the Dakotas would be similar...total devastation, my heart goes out to you

• Like 1