Looking for opinions on a swather

Youngred2000

I would like to find a vintage self propelled swather preferably a 12-16 foot with a finger reel to cut oats,rye,and alfalfa with. I would like something that I could still get parts for, I have a deere and oh dealer near by the closet heston dealer is about 50mi. I am not looking for a cab. I missed out on a deere 800 and a owatona 260. How do these machines work in alfalfa?  Thanks

Ever run across any Hesston's?

I still run a 6650 with a 16' header.

Good old basic machine. 

If I keep good guards and knives in it, it motors through my tough meadow hay. 

With steel on steel crimper alfalfa is a breeze. 

Still good dealer support and salvage yards seem to have them also. 

The old Chrysler slant six or the Perkins diesel's seem to go forever. 

I would like a good old swather as well. I think I would like an ih 5000 diesel with a hay head. Unfortunately it's not likely due to my finances at this time. 

Watching with interest.

Thx-Ace 

Rusty, my great grandpa bought a new 210 in August of ‘68. They put that swather together at the dealership the week of my grandparents wedding. It was used on the farm until the early ‘90’s well after great uncle took over the farm. 

How did you like that 210?

For some reason I’ve thought for a while it would be neat to have a 225. 

• Like 1

I would stay away from draper heads if you have pocket gophers and plan on cutting when damp. I cut 2-300 acres a year with a 280 with a 12 footer, narrow swath and does not dry quickly. Nice machine for small grains. Was able to use it for hay one year that it did not stop the aprons with the dirt.  I would have liked to try a IH with the small augers but quit farming because of family problems.

My Gramps had 3 175 IH swathers, they had Wisconsin engines, there are still pieces of them here, my Grampy had an Owatanna, IH 4000, a MacDon 7000 and then another MacDon 7000, the MacDon was a really nice machine 

9000 series MacDon only issue is heads are hard to find. 2-3 years ago I bought 2nd macdon with a grass head, 1800 hours for 17,000 out of Oregon. The guy I bought it from had 2 units, he was selling cause seed guys are using modified disc mowers which are faster. He said now he can go cut as much in 4-5 hours what it took 2 Macdons all day.

The Owatonna 260 would be a decent choice with a hydro trans and Ford 200 engine.  But the Kilbury reel is not the greatest and the draper head takes some babysitting.  The 260 will work in hay but gets along a lot better swathing dry small grains.

11 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Rusty, my great grandpa bought a new 210 in August of ‘68. They put that swather together at the dealership the week of my grandparents wedding. It was used on the farm until the early ‘90’s well after great uncle took over the farm. 

How did you like that 210?

For some reason I’ve thought for a while it would be neat to have a 225. 

I liked it alot but i do ditches only and upgraded to a disc mower, also I am low on room so it was like playing tettris everytime I put somthing in the shed, the disc mower hides out of the way nice.

• Like 1

I have a friend whose dad is in his 80's and has a IH 5000 with a cab with AC and a IH diesel 4 cylinder engine. He has had his kids farming his land for several years and this swather is in super good shape, always sheded in a metal building and low use it has a hay conditioner but it a long ways away for you i assume. He is wanting to sell it but has not really tried. It has the double augur header and pickup reel. Just what you are looking for. 

8 hours ago, hagan said:

I have a friend whose dad is in his 80's and has a IH 5000 with a cab with AC and a IH diesel 4 cylinder engine. He has had his kids farming his land for several years and this swather is in super good shape, always sheded in a metal building and low use it has a hay conditioner but it a long ways away for you i assume. He is wanting to sell it but has not really tried. It has the double augur header and pickup reel. Just what you are looking for. 

Sounds like a sweet swather however I have something else in the works ?

• Like 1