Those Undesirable Small Block Muscle Car Engines!

I prefer the '68-70 body style myself, but dad bought this new. 1971. Was the grocery getter until 1976. Has 63157 actual miles. Got replaced by a '76 Cordoba with a 360 2 barrel. Dad left the Charger sit at what used to be Baker auto in St Mary's over a weekend while they tried out the Cordoba. When we came back on Monday a high school fella and his girlfriend were looking at the Charger when we pulled in the lot. Dad said before he gets out of the Cordoba I'm not going to trade that car in, that "kid" will have it wrapped around a telephone pole in a week. Lol! So it's been here since. Dealership was only going to give him $600.00 for it back then.

KIMG0602.JPG

KIMG0603.JPG

KIMG0605.JPG

• Like 5

My father had a 66 CAPRICE, 396, 4 speed, buckets, triple black, nice car. Traded it in 69, kid had 66 wrapped around a pole in a month. The 69 was a Caprice also, 427, 4 speed, buckets, triple black, black vinyl roof, hideaway headlights. That was a runner for a family car. Tried to find that thing for years, never did.

Here's my current car. 71 Chevelle. Never was made as a muscle car with a 350. I rebuilt a 1969 300 HP 350 and had it on a chassis dyno a few years back and it had 330 at the wheels which calculates to 410 or so at the flywheel. I need to pull the engine sometime and freshen it up and the transmission as well. It just is getting tired and doesn't run as well as it did in the past. 

150703_001.jpg

Thunder Valley 7-27-2013 (Large).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

This has that vibe, that Motion Vega would have been nasty, fastest car in our town by a country mile was a 73 Hemi Cuda local speed shop owner built, then there was all the rest, most were bought for $3500 ish then you built, raced, blew up and crashed and threw away like Friday nights beer bottle to go onto the next one

Possibly the BEST early 70's car culture video ever posted on here (or anywhere).

Imagine the surprise at (7:25) when Mom, Dad, and the kiddies drove up on that in their little green Oldsmobile and saw what was going on!

Today, the po-po would probably would have staged an air assault rivaling that in Apocalypse Now to break up that gathering of miscreants.  (As it was, I imagine they were left scratching their heads wondering where all the black marks on the highway had come from).

• Like 1

I get a laff about your dads cars and the power plants, the race vibe started with me, I have pictures of dad and baby Jake and his cars, 

1.....1928 Chevy 

2.....1937 Terraplane

3.....1950 Skoda (Czech)

4.....1953 Pontiac flathead 6

5.....1966 Pontiac 283

by then I’m gone but you get my jist.

.......I have a great   "drag " race story....

......there is quite a hill  to come over on the way home from the south west    of our place.....I was driving a  cab over Mack .....with a full rigged 55B Michigan   wheel loader on the truck.....The Macks had rear facing outlets on their dual feul   tanks  thus with very low feul levels  , the Mack would climb the hill, but on descent   could starve for feul...Exactly what happened....late ...raining   ..nearly home. One of my drivers was following in a Holden   (Australian    GM...)  sedan....powered by a 253  cubic inch V  engine...We asessed  the  situation...Our feul tanker was empty..but the Michigan  feul tank was sitting directly above  the port side Mack tank.....Feul was duly syphoned into the Mack tank by our ""all purpose  diesel/hyd oil " pump which was onboard...and we then hooked up that V8 Holden to the Mack.....via two Ratchet straps...We had a very slight downgrade in our favour....and about half a mile before another road gradient change..that would certainly  not make this starting method possible...   (hence the "race "  part of the exercise...!!!)  Tim  selected the low gear through the auto trans....and slowly the old cab over started to move.....After a couple hundred yards...dropped the old Mack into a fairly  high gear ...and after another  hundred yards or  so...the air was all purged out of the system and it fired right up...

The local cockie was about to come out on the road....his lights were on....and he watched us in disbelief    as the Holden sedan appeared  opposite his driveway...then he observed it was indeed towing the Mack 6x4  with  the Michigan loader on the back.../His comments a few days later were most amusing....and tinged with a new respect for the common old Holden   with its V8 and GM Auto Trans...

Mike

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

.......I have a great   "drag " race story....

......there is quite a hill  to come over on the way home from the south west    of our place.....I was driving a  cab over Mack .....with a full rigged 55B Michigan   wheel loader on the truck.....The Macks had rear facing outlets on their dual feul   tanks  thus with very low feul levels  , the Mack would climb the hill, but on descent   could starve for feul...Exactly what happened....late ...raining   ..nearly home. One of my drivers was following in a Holden   (Australian    GM...)  sedan....powered by a 253  cubic inch V  engine...We asessed  the  situation...Our feul tanker was empty..but the Michigan  feul tank was sitting directly above  the port side Mack tank.....Feul was duly syphoned into the Mack tank by our ""all purpose  diesel/hyd oil " pump which was onboard...and we then hooked up that V8 Holden to the Mack.....via two Ratchet straps...We had a very slight downgrade in our favour....and about half a mile before another road gradient change..that would certainly  not make this starting method possible...   (hence the "race "  part of the exercise...!!!)  Tim  selected the low gear through the auto trans....and slowly the old cab over started to move.....After a couple hundred yards...dropped the old Mack into a fairly  high gear ...and after another  hundred yards or  so...the air was all purged out of the system and it fired right up...

The local cockie was about to come out on the road....his lights were on....and he watched us in disbelief    as the Holden sedan appeared  opposite his driveway...then he observed it was indeed towing the Mack 6x4  with  the Michigan loader on the back.../His comments a few days later were most amusing....and tinged with a new respect for the common old Holden   with its V8 and GM Auto Trans...

Mike

Mike you have all the fun, great story.

Neat vid.  Poor Chevelle.  Wonder if she was saved?  And talk about a poor choise of roads!  2 corners...ah good times.  An a fast st car was doing 90 100 not 170 200 like now some are running.  Every boy in that clip wishes he had the rig he was driving in that video today i promise. 

Ive always wanted (dreamt) putting a 500hp small block like a 383 stroker of something in the Nova.  Make it look as un assuming as can and just be AVgas fun.  No big turbo or NOX kits just 8500rpm offdah!

Seen a Nove few years ago from a guy who worked in a nascar shop in SC.  Had a used nascar 355 and a ton of used race parts.  Man it was slivk and un assuming yet.  I can just imagine the noise it made!

Friends with teens complain now all they do is sit at home and text their friends.  Buddy even encourages his boys to have a bon fire i  the gravel pit or jump something over the pond.  They all say it frustrating watching them waste the freedom of teen fun laying on the couch.  Can yell at em to go but none of their buddies are out either.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, just wanted a place to show y'all this...

My FIL's Challenger.  He's had it since about 1980.  Been off the road since '85 or so.  He's been gettin her back going.  Body/paint is a survivor, he put a new interior.  Rebuilt the 340, now it has a MEAN cam.  He's the coolest guy around now.  70 mph in 2nd gear.

20210601_183504.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/18/2021 at 8:54 AM, mike newman said:

.and tinged with a new respect for the common old Holden   with its V8 and GM Auto Trans...

Mike

Was that before that wonder of GM engineering known as a Trimatic auto box?

One of the cleanest comments I ever heard was "Trimatic?  That was GMH's guarantee that it would last 3000 km". 

There was a valve inside which used to work loose and when it did lifting the foot a fraction dumped it into second - at any speed.  We had one put the AC belt through the fan belt and wrecked it.  Fortunately I had a tool kit and did a wire staple on the wreckage of a belt to make the fan run and we got home.

A neighbour fixed his by cutting a groove for an O-ring.

And I reckon you'll get questioned on that 253 V8