That's neat 

3 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

what's neat is the seat

No wasted space, john d himself probably designed it.

That's pretty pricey for what they have setting there. At a big auction, they don't sell for much more restored.

This is a nice one at the truck museum in back of the Auburn Cord Museum. Yes, this one would sell for more.

DSCN1647.thumb.JPG.3ba033c0998260f1fea77616862176c4.JPG

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

That would be an interesting project for Mr. Engels to take on.

Art, in your travels, have you seen the wooden crude tanker wagon at Albany, Tx?  About halfway up the big hill on the north side of the highway. l'm guessing it would pre date these metal ones by several years....??

This was my 1920s Mack Tanker that was used by Standard Oil of California from 1920s to 1960s.  In the early 60s they repowered it with a V-8 Ford engine and in the late 80s I bought it and rented it out to the show MacGyver for about 7 years (1985-1992).  Someone put a water pump on it and sprayers before I bought it.  Then I just used it in our yard for dust control and took it to cars shows.  I sold it in 2007 to a guy in Lake Havasu City who made a custom Beer truck from the chassis and took it around to car shows selling beer.

1934 Mack AB in MacGyver car chase 1985-1992.jpg

06-29-07_1225.jpg

100_1760.JPG

• Like 2

The wooden ones were mostly water sprinklers, to wash horse pooh off of the streets. Studebaker was one of the main builders for horse drawn water tanks and street sweepers. Some of the metal tanks were water tanks also.

This is a water wagon with the sprinklers out the back. Not a real good one, but it was handy.

DSCN1389.thumb.JPG.7e3b98d7b021bd9e97704294a6c8f200.JPG

This is a metal tank water wagon at a sale next week. Couldn't get it any bigger.

Lot # 188 Studebaker Water Wagon(Tanker)

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Art, in your travels, have you seen the wooden crude tanker wagon at Albany, Tx?  About halfway up the big hill on the north side of the highway. l'm guessing it would pre date these metal ones by several years....??

No, I have not, but west of town, past the Hiway 351 cutoff to Abilene, on the road to Stamford, a ranch has put up a display of a wooden livestock car, and a loading pen.

There is a Guy on the internet who can rebuild the old wooden wagon wheels. He is engelscoachshop on youtube  Jowelet (sp) Montana USA and made the rebuild of the 20 Mule Team Borax wagons.

He has a new video every week. Currently working on a Democrat buggy.  Total restoration including convertible top. That buggy has rubber tires and spring suspension and brakes right out of the late 1890's add 1 horse power and travel!

He did all new wheels and carriage for the 20 Mule Team water wagon. 1200 # wooden spoke wheels.  3,000 gallon riveted tank.

Yep, there are still Techs who can restore the old stuff.  His specialty is horse  drawn wagons buggy's and sheep herder wagons the first RV!

19 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

No, I have not, but west of town, past the Hiway 351 cutoff to Abilene, on the road to Stamford, a ranch has put up a display of a wooden livestock car, and a loading pen.

Oh yeah, just a little ways from that display is a gate where l used to go to a lease off in a canyon about two miles from the highway. l think that display is part of the SMS (Swenson) ranch.

12 minutes ago, oleman said:

engelscoachshop

I watch every one. The guy is an amazing craftsman.

There where other uses for that type of wagon, early spraying equipment for use in orchards used very similar. A friend has the remains of a old sprayer steel wheels and a redwood tank. The tank is laying down and the top was flat, so picture a 1/2 a tank. 

For those interested google lead me to Farm Collector magazine of a John Bean mfg co sprayer.       https://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/john-bean-mfg-co-zmlz16augzhur/

But the light came on to where I have seen steel riveted tank that had the seat area built in. Was in the boneyard of a place my dad put cows on barley stubble back in the 70's to 85. Place has been sold off so probably long gone. 

19 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I watch every one. The guy is an amazing craftsman.

I learned all I know about wagon wheels from watching his videos. I am old but not old enough for spoke wheels. Especially interesting were the wooden spoked, pneumatic tired, heavy truck wheels. Also making the steel rims/tires for the 1200# borax water wagon wheels.