contributing to housing mkt and lumber prices?

8 hours ago, mmi said:

many koolaid states have ordered them scrapped and or otherwise illegal to operate,thru type of payment,fees tax ins etc,together with NLA parts

from my understanding until the cost of a fine for running/getting caught in an emissioned state costs more than keeping a NON emissioned truck running people will keep running what works. 

Kind of like us and our aging IH units - its easy to justify dumping 5 or 10 K in a tractor or truck that will keep running and provide better reliability and better profits than running a new one that you cant keep in the field or on the road w/out lost time, repair costs 

with the pending parts shortages and even longer repair times waiting on a special sensor or board people are going to be forced to do something and we will

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a shortage of reliable trucks. The government has castrated what was once a very reliable machine, and turned it into junk. 

Sure wish that the rates would go up on grain. I am actually running for cheaper rates than 3 years ago.  I don’t buy the truck or driver shortage. It’s all a media ploy. 

Sticking with old school.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, mmi said:

many koolaid states have ordered them scrapped and or otherwise illegal to operate,thru type of payment,fees tax ins etc,together with NLA parts

California is the only state to mandate emission trucks. Stay in your lane son....

whoop whoop id be boycotting CA and running what i want and where i want with my non compliant unit,  not everyone lives in CA plenty of loads elsewhere - i didnt reailze it was only CA WOW 

10 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Another note while I'm thinking of trucks. Has anybody else noticed an increase in older trucks on the road lately?

The trucking company that hauls some of our pallets let's us borrow some of their tools of we need them. I was over at their shop a couple of weeks ago returning a puller and I was talking with the mechanic. They had one of their older trucks that they drug out of the weeds inside for a complete rebuild. He said that for what they paid in repairs to keep their newest truck on the road due to emissions they could have rebuilt the truck they pulled out of the weeds.

That’s why I am running a glider. New cab and wiring but I have a 99 motor. Then they banned the glider. Now you buy a 18 or newer truck that had a Paccar motor in, pull it out because it died and stick a 2WS Cat into it. Cost you about 70 grand for the swap but you are back to the BIG HORSES. 
I will bet my wife quotes 3 trucks a week for the swap. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

California is the only state to mandate emission trucks. Stay in your lane son....

If you dont think that's going to change and other states begin implementing that OR the feds float the idea you're pretty gullible.  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

If you dont think that's going to change and other states begin implementing that OR the feds float the idea you're pretty gullible.  

They will but it will take a loooong time and there will be electric trucks for last mile delivery then. No offense to our California members but they let there state government get out of control a long time ago and no hope of getting common sense back out there. There’s still enough red states to keep that in check. 

47 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

That’s why I am running a glider. New cab and wiring but I have a 99 motor. Then they banned the glider. Now you buy a 18 or newer truck that had a Paccar motor in, pull it out because it died and stick a 2WS Cat into it. Cost you about 70 grand for the swap but you are back to the BIG HORSES. 

Technically by EPA rules that is a violation. Rules state emissions have to match year of truck that’s why they got rid of gliders now. 

I am surprised there isn't a tuning program to to hack the truck computers and turn all the emissions sensors off.

They have programs for tuning popular car and light truck brands, EFI Live and HP Tuners, that allows you to turn off what ever error code you want.

I have a few late model hotrods that I use HP Tuners on the get my stuff to run properly after modifications and shut of the errors codes to get past inspection'

6 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Technically by EPA rules that is a violation. Rules state emissions have to match year of truck that’s why they got rid of gliders now. 

Probably correct, but so far they say as long as the original motor failed AND the emissions were removed prior to anyone working on it, they can put a none emissions motor in. 
On my truck, the cab was built in 2010, I think. Then they built the truck in 2016, so that is when it’s titled. 

1 minute ago, jeeper61 said:

I am surprised there isn't a tuning program to to hack the truck computers and turn all the emissions sensors off.

They have programs for tuning popular car and light truck brands, EFI Live and HP Tuners, that allows you to turn off what ever error code you want.

I have a few late model hotrods that I use HP Tuners on the get my stuff to run properly after modifications and shut of the errors codes to get past inspection'

There is somewhat, but they aren’t real reliable. 

43 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Probably correct, but so far they say as long as the original motor failed AND the emissions were removed prior to anyone working on it, they can put a none emissions motor in. 
On my truck, the cab was built in 2010, I think. Then they built the truck in 2016, so that is when it’s titled. 

Until more guys are stopped and checked and fined or put out of service more power to them. My days of owning a truck are over I’m very well compensated as a company driver now and leave the headaches to someone else.

46 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

DOT has sniffers and does visual inspections so turning it off is a big no no. I understand guys have to keep making a living it’s a heckuva predicament there in.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

DOT has sniffers and does visual inspections so turning it off is a big no no. I understand guys have to keep making a living it’s a heckuva predicament there in.

I really doubt they look down at the programing they are just checking the status registers and all appears normal at the level 

My stuff goes through the smog check every year they have no idea the cam and injectors have been changed and the fuel curve and timing tables modified

They are just looking for the readiness checks on all the emissions systems as OK and the fact that Check Engine light comes on when commanded  

They would have to start pulling the plugs off the individual sensors the find out they were disabled      

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

If people were smart and modified stuff to appear stock and keep the programming so there was never more than a slight puffy haze of smoke they would have very little to worry about.  Punch the catalyst and DPF out, leave the cans and other noise suppression intact.  Unfortunately when you hear a newer truck with engine brakes barking through straight pipes or a cloud of smoke taking out at a light it's a huge red flag. 

• Like 2

If you run my vin the engine serial number comes back correct. When they put this truck together, they did it correctly. My old Pete was a hack job and the VIN on it said it had a Cat in it. 
If the EPA was seriously concerned, they would go after the “coal burners”. The “kids” who ruined the diesel pickup market. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

If the EPA was seriously concerned, they would go after the “coal burners”. The “kids” who ruined the diesel pickup market.

They have been.  Not sure exactly when it started but definitely during the Trump administration the EPA has been cracking down hard on companies that sell products related to eliminating emission controls and or tampering with fueling levels.  They have also been hitting shops who do this work hard, to the point of storming in in full assault gear.  Not cool.

Here is one news clip.  https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-settles-diesel-emissions-cases-against-three-northwest-companies

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

If people were smart and modified stuff to appear stock and keep the programming so there was never more than a slight puffy haze of smoke they would have very little to worry about.  Punch the catalyst and DPF out, leave the cans and other noise suppression intact.  Unfortunately when you hear a newer truck with engine brakes barking through straight pipes or a cloud of smoke taking out at a light it's a huge red flag. 

It’s easy to spot a truck running DEF: the inside of the exhaust stack is either clean or white. Without DEF it is black regardless of how you tune it. This can, of course, be mitigated by using weed-burner exhaust instead of stacks. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Paccrap why would anyone buy one other then it's less cost up front. Not long ago I was  on truckpaper looking at a nice 389 pete ,the next photo was hood flipped up where is the engine? oh it's a Paccrap. I'm sure there are guys that like them. however, I'll stick to my 3406E and C-15's

• Like 2
6 hours ago, brewcrew said:

It’s easy to spot a truck running DEF: the inside of the exhaust stack is either clean or white. Without DEF it is black regardless of how you tune it. This can, of course, be mitigated by using weed-burner exhaust instead of stacks. 

I thought black was no exhaust filter or they drilled out the filter?🤷‍♀️

14 minutes ago, 806 man said:

Paccrap why would anyone buy one other then it's less cost up front. Not long ago I was  on truckpaper looking at a nice 389 pete ,the next photo was hood flipped up where is the engine? oh it's a Paccrap. I'm sure there are guys that like them. however, I'll stick to my 3406E and C-15's

Because everyone was in love with the long nose Pete, and Paccar said they had mastered their motor when Cat pulled out of the truck motor market. 
There are a lot of things I miss about my Pete, but I love my Detroit motor, and I like the cab of the Freightliner. 

1 hour ago, 806 man said:

I thought black was no exhaust filter or they drilled out the filter?🤷‍♀️

Right. It’s the DPF actually that keeps the inside of the exhaust clean . . . but as far as I know DEF/cooled EGR/DPF are usually combined into one wallet emptying package. 

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 4:24 PM, Gearclash said:

Summer of 2007 I put in a bunch of seat time on 3 mini excavators . . . Takeuchi, Bobcat, and Caterpillar. Takeuchi was the only one I was sad to see leave.  Bobcat and Cat were both jerky and Takeuchi, on that series anyway, had the only intuitive boom swing control.

No worries   , Gearclash.......take them as you find them...:)   ..but my comments...just my opinion...come from operating four different sizes....(I do "contract " machine operating for the cockie's or  regular earth moving    firms....)...sizes from 6 ton to 25 ton odd, logging rigged..... They are what they are.....cheap   machines , that lack the " "finesse  "  of the big name brands.....Old story....you get what you  pay for........added to that ....one gets to hear  what wonderful   wage's and working conditions  those poor buggars   have to put up with in good ol' China........slave labour.....and that is enough to put  off anyone with   a conscious, from  buying bloody Chinese......and there is more....but as said..just my opinion....

Mike

On 4/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, searcyfarms said:

my dearest mike...............

I made it to look at the ONLY two machines available for the 10 days i need to rent for. Kubota, Case, Komatsu, Deere, NONE of them had a LARGE HIGH FLOW machine to rent, some were w/out a polycarbonate door, or had reasons they DID NOT rent them to the general idiot at large.

I have decided against the Rotary Drum mulcher after talking to the farmer that has leased/rented the property from the new owner. He is not overly concerned with the small stubs left by the brush cutter as it will be two years before he can farm/hay it. It is in CRP now and comes out in 2 yrs. He is hoping some decay, burning, brush killer will be the trick for these overgrown areas I will be trying to reclaim. I will be using a puller for the larger stuff 3 - 4 inches and up - I can chew that stuff up fine but the farmer would prefer those larger ones are gone - I would too!!!

Yes Yes I will take pix for you guys. I will be taking off a week of work to rattle my kidneys for the love of mankind and my passion to make things better for this property, the owner, and the farmer who will be using it.

Backstory..........my moms parents ( my grandparents ) moved from Nebraska in the late 40s and bought this farm. They were both dead young by cancer/stroke before 1960 and my mom/siblings sold the 220 acre farm, house, barn for 11K dollars.  Mom was just 18 I never got to meet my grandparents. 

My best friend I grew up with since 10y/o has lived on the adjoining the property since 1975. It was sold to their good friends - retired pilot from TWA. He died two years later of cancer. Never got to enjoy it. His widowed wife allowed my friend and I to care take it for her while she moved away to Utah where she was originally from. I have got to enjoy my grandparents farm my entire life. I was never able to purchase such a large expensive place but she is up in years an sold it to a friend from their church who is a business owner in our area. 

He has been so kind and gracious to allow me to work for him batwing cutting/mowing last year and now this job will be good therapy for me enjoying and improving the property that was once my families. 

If it helps Mike I am leaning heavily toward the CAT due to the amazing suspension seat it had in it today on my demo. I did like the height/interior cab room of the Takeuchi and the fact it doesn't have DEF. For a weeks rental the Takeuchi is 800 bucks less expensive just for the rental. I plan to go back to feel the Takeuchi monday before I fully commit due to the seat and not paying good enough attn. I am concerned i might hit the ceiling in the Cat due to the seat suspension but i am sure i could adjust it like a tractor seat etc......

Outside of that its moot, High Flow, equal power - 800 bucks is a lot but if i spend 8 to 10 hours a day in one for 8 to 10 days i dont want to have a back or head ache. 

Cat is proud of their stuff and the cab is much smaller but OHHHhhhhh the seat.........

searcyfarms.....that is an interesting story...albeit tinged with sadness, due to the usual vagaries    of life that we all face.......I doubt that my "red neck" approach to your   machine hiring issues   deserved   such a thoughtful response.....and of course when it comes to a short term hire deal.....$800   -00   is a significant amount   to either save....(Chinese)...or   face as an extra cost...(American )..

If you have endured  some of my "posts " on this fine site.....you ..(hopefully )  will have picked up on a couple of things....I endeavour to try and inject mild humour into some of my posts....and secondly....I am a great fan   of ...well....yesterday's United States of America..... (I even proudly own a  1999 model Chevrolet Blazer....right hand drive.....a vehicle that most blokes on this site  would  roll their  eyes and turn away in   quiet  reflective shock at such a thing .....)

However.....all that aside....my opinion  of this  example of  China's technical  marvel  of copied engineering  was no doubt obvious , in my plea  to the Power above......and as said  ....merely an opinion based on operating  experience ....even if my attempt at "humour "  within that post , fell a bit short......

Regards    Mike

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

searcyfarms.....that is an interesting story...albeit tinged with sadness, due to the usual vagaries    of life that we all face.......I doubt that my "red neck" approach to your   machine hiring issues   deserved   such a thoughtful response.....and of course when it comes to a short term hire deal.....$800   -00   is a significant amount   to either save....(Chinese)...or   face as an extra cost...(American )..

If you have endured  some of my "posts " on this fine site.....you ..(hopefully )  will have picked up on a couple of things....I endeavour to try and inject mild humour into some of my posts....and secondly....I am a great fan   of ...well....yesterday's United States of America..... (I even proudly own a  1999 model Chevrolet Blazer....right hand drive.....a vehicle that most blokes on this site  would  roll their  eyes and turn away in   quiet  reflective shock at such a thing .....)

However.....all that aside....my opinion  of this  example of  China's technical  marvel  of copied engineering  was no doubt obvious , in my plea  to the Power above......and as said  ....merely an opinion based on operating  experience ....even if my attempt at "humour "  within that post , fell a bit short......

Regards    Mike

LOL oh yes enjoy your humor and SPEAK especially compared to our slang here - love your perspective and WOW that explains a LOT, so chevy started out making vehicles right handed and then gave up and made everything else is backwards and sold it to us fools across the lake, no wonder I dont like them as much as I do my fords ( ok chevy folks let me have it - i couldnt resist ) 

I totally caught onto your humor and am a devout American buying/supporting as many home grown products/services as I can. This situation is stretching me due to the sheer COST and trying to be competitive. The Takeuchi is 30/hour overage and the Cat is 50/hour. 

I am estimating the job will take me around 75 hours. 

3 other prerequisites are  (1) what if I break down? I need service due to short timeline ( CAT definitely wins here ) (2) quietness and (3) cleanliness of the cab keeping out dust/debris. Like I said i will be living in this thing literally for a 8 to 10 days so I NEED it to be as comfortable as possible. 

I noticed the Kubota is much more clear of a knockoff with the bar across the back like the CAT near the loader arm pivots. 

anywho, thanks for your input I am thankful for people saying what they say here no matter the content 

• Thanks 1