contributing to housing mkt and lumber prices?

so i have a sizeable job for land reclamation ( side gig ) and I am getting bids together and calling rental equip companies 

I am having a difficult time finding equipment to rent - looking at compact track loaders - Takeuchi - Cat - Kubota 

Takeuchi tells me they cant even get machines, been waiting for months n months, waiting on 50 plus machines that are ALREADY SOLD 

he said I have every machine available in our fleet rented/leased out. Currently ( his disclaimer ) miles of ships waiting to offload in Gulf - similar in CA. 

Their main DC for Takeuchi is in GA ? think that is what he said. Not only can they NOT get things off ships they cant get things from Port hauled to their DC. No truckers available. 

What is happening? His disclaimer is truckers are taking bids/selling load bumps - you pay more you get your load quicker. Ships, there are EMPTY ships getting in line and sitting for days waiting then they SELL their place in line to the highest bidder and go back and get in line.............

things are really crazy if this is true

supposedly per some trucking ASSN there are currently 9 loads available for one driver. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a shortage of reliable trucks. The government has castrated what was once a very reliable machine, and turned it into junk. 

Sure wish that the rates would go up on grain. I am actually running for cheaper rates than 3 years ago.  I don’t buy the truck or driver shortage. It’s all a media ploy. 

Sticking with old school.

Posted Images

We were told at work the same thing was going on with the containers themselves. "RATES" were going up daily, you can pass on getting one but it's only going to get worse. A company out of Georgia we deal with has extended lead time to next December if we order now. This time last year was around 60 days. Pretty sure the product is sourced from India

• Like 1

I was talking to the parts manager at my cih/nh dealer the other day. He couldn't get me press wheel springs for my 900 planter. All the depots were out. He said they were backordered on alot of parts.

I ordered some from shoup, they had some.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

One load board normally has 3-400 thousand loads listed everyday, last week two days in a row just that one board had 1.5 million loads looking for a ride. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Sure wish that the rates would go up on grain. I am actually running for cheaper rates than 3 years ago. 
I don’t buy the truck or driver shortage. It’s all a media ploy. 

• Like 6

If things are really that backed up on the trucking side the fed should ease the hours regulations.

• Like 4

There is a truck shortage both new and currently on the road. We have 5 been down two months can’t get parts to repair them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Sure wish that the rates would go up on grain. I am actually running for cheaper rates than 3 years ago. 
I don’t buy the truck or driver shortage. It’s all a media ploy. 

I hear you there!!! We are thinking with the cost of junk parts, cost of tires we can’t get, and fuel, we will be upping our rates, if the farmers don’t like it, they can find someone else!! 

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

There is a truck shortage both new and currently on the road. We have 5 been down two months can’t get parts to repair them. 

Can’t get parts, and the DEF and electronic components are making truck unreliable. 
I just got my truck back from a shop, DOT was due on both truck and trailer, and had a few things repaired on the truck, took 45 days to get it back, and now I’m fixing what they fixed, and yesterday was my first day on the road, terrible vibration and bounce in the truck, worked on it all day yesterday, hauled another load this morning, and back in the shop again, vibration is gone, but the bounce is still there?!?! Worse loaded!!

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

There is a shortage of reliable trucks. The government has castrated what was once a very reliable machine, and turned it into junk. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I read there was a rash of timber mills that burned and some huge fires out west not helping things.

Anybody compare prices to concrete block building?

• Sad 1
9 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

so i have a sizeable job for land reclamation ( side gig ) and I am getting bids together and calling rental equip companies 

I am having a difficult time finding equipment to rent - looking at compact track loaders - Takeuchi - Cat - Kubota 

Takeuchi tells me they cant even get machines, been waiting for months n months, waiting on 50 plus machines that are ALREADY SOLD 

he said I have every machine available in our fleet rented/leased out. Currently ( his disclaimer ) miles of ships waiting to offload in Gulf - similar in CA. 

Their main DC for Takeuchi is in GA ? think that is what he said. Not only can they NOT get things off ships they cant get things from Port hauled to their DC. No truckers available. 

What is happening? His disclaimer is truckers are taking bids/selling load bumps - you pay more you get your load quicker. Ships, there are EMPTY ships getting in line and sitting for days waiting then they SELL their place in line to the highest bidder and go back and get in line.............

things are really crazy if this is true

supposedly per some trucking ASSN there are currently 9 loads available for one driver. 

Takeuchi.......'

"" Dear Lord...protect those who choose not to take the narrow path...and buy   Caterpillar/Komatsu /Case...even John Deere.....give them a second chance Lord....those errant souls  who see productivity...even profitability in that Communist Cursed  Crap , for they shall soon realise the error   of their ways in supporting  an ideaology far from the hopes and aspirations   that symbolised the ethics of America's founding fathers....""

...my thoughts after being unfortunate enough to have'' operated ''   the aforesaid   brandname  .....

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Our mack dealer said they had to "look around" to find NOX sensors.  That's scary as no matter the manufacturer they're all pretty much very similiar, and theres nothing that will put a truck down faster than SCR components

Navistar is about as bad, lots of backordered stuff. 

• Sad 1

I’ve been running hard with the semi lately hauling flatbed, and getting good money for it. We need some new drivers because some of the older ones want to slow down. We picked up a couple, but it’s really hard to find good people. And that is with a very accommodating boss! Our one major contract is hauling steel building parts, and they are pushing product out as fast as they can, but raw materials are getting harder to get in. I heard they will pay six bucks a mile for a tarped load from Memphis to northeast Iowa 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I hear you there!!! We are thinking with the cost of junk parts, cost of tires we can’t get, and fuel, we will be upping our rates, if the farmers don’t like it, they can find someone else!! 

Can’t get parts, and the DEF and electronic components are making truck unreliable. 
I just got my truck back from a shop, DOT was due on both truck and trailer, and had a few things repaired on the truck, took 45 days to get it back, and now I’m fixing what they fixed, and yesterday was my first day on the road, terrible vibration and bounce in the truck, worked on it all day yesterday, hauled another load this morning, and back in the shop again, vibration is gone, but the bounce is still there?!?! Worse loaded!!

no doubt its crazy stuff - i hope they find the issue with your truck quickly

9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

That's no joke. I had a conversation with the parts girl at our kw dealership last week. She said that kw is currently building trucks, then parking them out in a lot and then pulling the chip that runs the truck. Apparently there is a shortage on microchips. She also said that if there  is anything that I thought we would need to order it now because she couldn't guarantee that she would have it when/if we needed it. Not the common wear items like brakes and such but the oddball stuff that you can't run without. I had to replace a yoke on one truck and I got the last one in the country according to their system.

The trucks stop the country stops.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Takeuchi.......'

"" Dear Lord...protect those who choose not to take the narrow path...and buy   Caterpillar/Komatsu /Case...even John Deere.....give them a second chance Lord....those errant souls  who see productivity...even profitability in that Communist Cursed  Crap , for they shall soon realise the error   of their ways in supporting  an ideaology far from the hopes and aspirations   that symbolised the ethics of America's founding fathers....""

...my thoughts after being unfortunate enough to have'' operated ''   the aforesaid   brandname  .....

Mike

my dearest mike...............

I made it to look at the ONLY two machines available for the 10 days i need to rent for. Kubota, Case, Komatsu, Deere, NONE of them had a LARGE HIGH FLOW machine to rent, some were w/out a polycarbonate door, or had reasons they DID NOT rent them to the general idiot at large.

I have decided against the Rotary Drum mulcher after talking to the farmer that has leased/rented the property from the new owner. He is not overly concerned with the small stubs left by the brush cutter as it will be two years before he can farm/hay it. It is in CRP now and comes out in 2 yrs. He is hoping some decay, burning, brush killer will be the trick for these overgrown areas I will be trying to reclaim. I will be using a puller for the larger stuff 3 - 4 inches and up - I can chew that stuff up fine but the farmer would prefer those larger ones are gone - I would too!!!

Yes Yes I will take pix for you guys. I will be taking off a week of work to rattle my kidneys for the love of mankind and my passion to make things better for this property, the owner, and the farmer who will be using it.

Backstory..........my moms parents ( my grandparents ) moved from Nebraska in the late 40s and bought this farm. They were both dead young by cancer/stroke before 1960 and my mom/siblings sold the 220 acre farm, house, barn for 11K dollars.  Mom was just 18 I never got to meet my grandparents. 

My best friend I grew up with since 10y/o has lived on the adjoining the property since 1975. It was sold to their good friends - retired pilot from TWA. He died two years later of cancer. Never got to enjoy it. His widowed wife allowed my friend and I to care take it for her while she moved away to Utah where she was originally from. I have got to enjoy my grandparents farm my entire life. I was never able to purchase such a large expensive place but she is up in years an sold it to a friend from their church who is a business owner in our area. 

He has been so kind and gracious to allow me to work for him batwing cutting/mowing last year and now this job will be good therapy for me enjoying and improving the property that was once my families. 

If it helps Mike I am leaning heavily toward the CAT due to the amazing suspension seat it had in it today on my demo. I did like the height/interior cab room of the Takeuchi and the fact it doesn't have DEF. For a weeks rental the Takeuchi is 800 bucks less expensive just for the rental. I plan to go back to feel the Takeuchi monday before I fully commit due to the seat and not paying good enough attn. I am concerned i might hit the ceiling in the Cat due to the seat suspension but i am sure i could adjust it like a tractor seat etc......

Outside of that its moot, High Flow, equal power - 800 bucks is a lot but if i spend 8 to 10 hours a day in one for 8 to 10 days i dont want to have a back or head ache. 

Cat is proud of their stuff and the cab is much smaller but OHHHhhhhh the seat.........

• Thanks 1

Another note while I'm thinking of trucks. Has anybody else noticed an increase in older trucks on the road lately?

The trucking company that hauls some of our pallets let's us borrow some of their tools of we need them. I was over at their shop a couple of weeks ago returning a puller and I was talking with the mechanic. They had one of their older trucks that they drug out of the weeds inside for a complete rebuild. He said that for what they paid in repairs to keep their newest truck on the road due to emissions they could have rebuilt the truck they pulled out of the weeds.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

no doubt its crazy stuff - i hope they find the issue with your truck quickly

I’m finding the problems!! They had to update my brake spiders, and s cam tubes, so I said put in wheel bearings! The bearings had 1,275,000 on them, it’s time.  I had to finish their job, they missed it by 1/2 a turn on each bearing nut.  Now I’m back in them again cause the wheel seals started leaking.  They should be fixing it, but I need it Monday, so I’m taking care of it! 

1 hour ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Has anybody else noticed an increase in older trucks on the road lately?

Yes I have!! Everyone is going back to the non emission trucks, more reliable!! 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

many koolaid states have ordered them scrapped and or otherwise illegal to operate,thru type of payment,fees tax ins etc,together with NLA parts

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

Takeuchi.......

Summer of 2007 I put in a bunch of seat time on 3 mini excavators . . . Takeuchi, Bobcat, and Caterpillar. Takeuchi was the only one I was sad to see leave.  Bobcat and Cat were both jerky and Takeuchi, on that series anyway, had the only intuitive boom swing control.

3 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

The trucks stop the country stops.

Imagine if the truck haters of the world were successful and the Rail road was the only dog and pony show in town for delivering goods.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
14 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

If things are really that backed up on the trucking side the fed should ease the hours regulations.

That would require them to want to fix the situation.  They make it appear that they are wanting things to get worse, and it seems to be working for them.

5 hours ago, Steve C. said:

That would require them to want to fix the situation.  They make it appear that they are wanting things to get worse, and it seems to be working for them.

How else would they phase in autonomous trucks? 

8 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I’m finding the problems!! They had to update my brake spiders, and s cam tubes, so I said put in wheel bearings! The bearings had 1,275,000 on them, it’s time.  I had to finish their job, they missed it by 1/2 a turn on each bearing nut.  Now I’m back in them again cause the wheel seals started leaking.  They should be fixing it, but I need it Monday, so I’m taking care of it! 

oh boy, wait till they get your bill - !!!!