D-361 Mechanic Texas

I just done the "dirty" work on one. Pulled sleeves, cleaned block, measured bores for new sleeves and knocked out cam bearings. Pressed new sleeves in, graded pistons and honed bores to dimension. Installed and fit cam bearings, cleaned all the other parts and don't even get to put it together. 

Maybe Virginia is a little far..............

4 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

I just done the "dirty" work on one. Pulled sleeves, cleaned block, measured bores for new sleeves and knocked out cam bearings. Pressed new sleeves in, graded pistons and honed bores to dimension. Installed and fit cam bearings, cleaned all the other parts and don't even get to put it together. 

Maybe Virginia is a little far..............

What brand of parts did you or customer provide? I need a kit for a 1206 in a bit.

I would think as many 407's Long Farms has he would know someone. There was someone named Eric Farley on here from time to time who had a shop in Texas somewhere. But it's a big state they tell me. 🥴

Found this for him.

https://www.facebook.com/farleystractorrepair/

1 hour ago, dale560 said:

What brand of parts

Went upstairs and grabbed a hand full of NOS genuine IH parts.

Just kidding......I haven't found many good options. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
50 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Went upstairs and grabbed a hand full of NOS genuine IH parts.

Just kidding......I haven't found many good options. 

You had me. Hopefully when we get 1206 engine apart I can get by with some original parts will let you know. But the Abilene machine kit in the 407 has been okay.

On 4/16/2021 at 1:15 PM, dale560 said:

You had me. Hopefully when we get 1206 engine apart I can get by with some original parts will let you know. But the Abilene machine kit in the 407 has been okay.

Did a 1206 last summer, used Max Force kit from Hy-Cap. So far so good on it and it’s been run. 

Here is a copy and paste of a post I made a number of years ago that may give you some help on getting this job done correctly the first time.

I have learned the hard way after having a 407 score several pistons in the first few hours (the very first time it was put under load) after an inflame rebuild that the only way to rebuild these engines (361 & 407) is to take them down to the bare block, have the block bored for oversized OD liners (My supplier offers them in .002,.005 & .010 OD for 361 & 407 engines and I use the .010) and after the liners are installed have them honed with a rigid hone (preferably with a power hone table) to true them up and get the piston skirt clearances to the hi side of the spec. Be sure to follow the procedure in the IH service manual for the proper press fit specs and for the sleeve height. Unlike most engines, the sleeves they do not get pressed in until they bottom in the counterbore. IH offered a special pressing plate that located the sleeve at the proper height. My machine shop says that the blocks get very distorted from age and heat and the sleeve bores are not true from top to bottom or round at all either. Boring/honing oversize gives you a straight, true, round bore to press the liner into. They also say that after pressing the new liners in the fresh bore and checking them with a bore gauge they are still not true at all with many high/low spots. They feel that due to how thin these liners are the manufacture cannot hold the tolerances very well when they machine them. On this engine the liners fit in the block and the piston to liner clearances are very critical. Be sure you are using a machine shop that understands this and has the proper equipment and expertise to do this job correctly. These are very well built engines and given decent care will run many thousands of hours after a properly performed rebuild.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, pirlbeck said:

Here is a copy and paste of a post I made a number of years ago that may give you some help on getting this job done correctly the first time.

I have learned the hard way after having a 407 score several pistons in the first few hours (the very first time it was put under load) after an inflame rebuild that the only way to rebuild these engines (361 & 407) is to take them down to the bare block, have the block bored for oversized OD liners (My supplier offers them in .002,.005 & .010 OD for 361 & 407 engines and I use the .010) and after the liners are installed have them honed with a rigid hone (preferably with a power hone table) to true them up and get the piston skirt clearances to the hi side of the spec. Be sure to follow the procedure in the IH service manual for the proper press fit specs and for the sleeve height. Unlike most engines, the sleeves they do not get pressed in until they bottom in the counterbore. IH offered a special pressing plate that located the sleeve at the proper height. My machine shop says that the blocks get very distorted from age and heat and the sleeve bores are not true from top to bottom or round at all either. Boring/honing oversize gives you a straight, true, round bore to press the liner into. They also say that after pressing the new liners in the fresh bore and checking them with a bore gauge they are still not true at all with many high/low spots. They feel that due to how thin these liners are the manufacture cannot hold the tolerances very well when they machine them. On this engine the liners fit in the block and the piston to liner clearances are very critical. Be sure you are using a machine shop that understands this and has the proper equipment and expertise to do this job correctly. These are very well built engines and given decent care will run many thousands of hours after a properly performed rebuild.

Honestly this should be followed for ANY dry sleeved engine, gas or diesel truing the cylinder bore up then installing sleeves, then measuring each piston and ensuring proper skirt clearance in its corresponding cylinder.  

Finally got the last cam bearing in today, Riley Tractor didn't have and would not fill back orders till mid-May. So ordered them from CaseIH dealer. One of them CaseIH didn't have and we found at a dealer in SD. Thought it was kinda neat!! 

KIMG0110.JPG

0.jpg

• Like 2