What oil do you use?

1 hour ago, IHandJDman said:

Countrymark.

Lol! That's a name I've not heard for a good 20 year's. Used to be a drive through feed store at the countrymark co-op back then that sold that stuff. Grandpa used it in his '87 Dodge 250 and '86 Fifth Avenue. I know, I know, some people probably think it just a Chrysler product. Wouldn't waste good oil on them. Lol

I use Case IH lubricants for Case IH , and I use John Deere lubricants for John Deere equipment 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I guess the yellow bucket stuff is going to be called "vintage" sometimes.

"Harvest King® Select Vintage Tractor Hydraulic Fluid is specifically engineered for older farm tractors and mobile equipment manufactured prior to 1989."

It's a little unclear whether it's fit for transmissions and rearends though.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, JEOSBOLT said:

@Farmall Nut glad you don’t use olive oil haha

That's what Popeye said 

On 4/15/2021 at 8:13 PM, TP from Central PA said:

Hog Lard here for my system in my cast iron pans.................

I use olive oil on cast iron, makes a more durable surface when toasted on at 450 F.

18 minutes ago, 1256pickett said:

Bacon grease make great cornbread 

Mmmmmm.....Granny used to preheat a cast iron skillet then pour in the batter and bake it.   Mmmmm......crispy on the bottom.  She put a little sugar in there it was gooood stuff.  

peanut oil is pretty good for a lotta stuff - i use hytran in the 5088, the 706 has about 3 flavors of oil in it the guy before us, whatever dad put in, then i had some AW32 to use up

3 minutes ago, Frank H said:

CaseIH is Fiat owned.  Shouldn't Olive Oil be the specified lubricant?

How much for bucket of extra virgin.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the applee-cay-shun. Generally stick with oils recommended by mfg. but where it comes to eng. oil. For that I prefer the slick kind, the stuff that don't squish out from betwixt the bearings and such. And for all muh diesel bangers I stick with Shell Rotella 15W40. Generally stay away from the synthetic as the costs don't override the benefits in the short term and antiquated stuff I'm running. All my gas stuff gets a 10W30 weight. For hyd oils most anything with same numbers will be sufficient, as in #32 -#46, etc. Most brands are compatible, but with exceptions. 

Mfg. recommended oils are generally produced with additives or made with properties to perform to their specs, or to the degree of how much money an oil company is willing to fork over for their recommendation.