So how many farms back east aren’t big enough to turn this around on

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Local farmer’s seeding rig back in the day.  

Was that on the hillsides out north east of Great Falls. I remember seeing fields that appeared to be one round wide,50 years ago.

No.  Further north like about 80 miles. There were farmers around here with setups that did the whole strip in one round too.  

Posted Images

Was that on the hillsides out north east of Great Falls. I remember seeing fields that appeared to be one round wide,50 years ago.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, IKS said:

No.  Further north like about 80 miles. There were farmers around here with setups that did the whole strip in one round too.  

• Like 2

Ours ....

• Like 1

How wide is each of those drills?  10' - 12', or are they wider than that?  Just curious how that would compare in width to the 48 row corn planters that we have in the area.

Looks like he towed the pickup and grain truck/tender behind the drill(s)? Quite a setup at 100’ or so wide. There are some fields around here where you couldn’t turn that around for sure. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Local farmer’s seeding rig back in the day.  

383A5453-F0BE-49B7-A6F6-8C88B84DC932.jpeg

What size of Cat is in that pic? D7 or D8? Was there very many D8's used for ag tractors?

19 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

How wide is each of those drills?  10' - 12', or are they wider than that?  Just curious how that would compare in width to the 48 row corn planters that we have in the area.

8ft JD LZ Bs.  

8 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

What size of Cat is in that pic? D7 or D8? Was there very many D8's used for ag tractors?

I think it’s an Allis Chalmers..  D6s and D7s were the most popular but there was some D8s around and I know one farm that used D9s.  

5 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

8ft JD LZ Bs.  

So 80' wide swath or comparable to 32 30" rows.  That's very wide by today's standards, crazy that were using that so many years ago.  Farms and fields have grown around here over the years, but I can't still think of some that would be very tight with something like that.

There were still a lot of drills like that in the 90s. The advent of the air seeder has pretty much done away with the big box drills. 
In 1987, I pulled a set of 7 LZ drills with a 4850JD. That in itself was a feat loaded, but was running them at night in canyons. You drill out a point and lost how you got in. Spent a few hours waiting for the guy with the Big Bud and 80 foot set of drills to come back around so I had lights to figure out where I was. 
The same outfit had 3 Yeilder no til drills, pulled with Big Buds. They wanted you to drill at 12 plus mph. Eastern Colorado ground is not smooth enough for that, but we tried. 
Lots of big crawlers were used in that area, before Kalcevic built their own tractors. There were a few Wagner tractors early on, but most used either a crawler or homemade things. 

33 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Kalcevic built their own tractors

Got any pictures?

Was/Is this the operation just east of Byers?  (And there are a couple of others between Bennet and Prospect Valley that are nothing to sneeze at)

Reminds me of the 1st job I had when I left Uncle Sams Monkey Corps back in "72". Summer falling wheat fields out of Ellensburg, Wa. with a D-7, but the disc was only about half that wide. That's impressive for sure..... And not a single place East of the Mississippi could even hint at space to turn one of those around... 

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think it’s an Allis Chalmers..  D6s and D7s were the most popular but there was some D8s around and I know one farm that used D9s.  

Looking at the grill and pulley at the top and exhaust stack placement I’m thinking Cat D-9.

Will check my reference books later.

39 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Got any pictures?

Was/Is this the operation just east of Byers?  (And there are a couple of others between Bennet and Prospect Valley that are nothing to sneeze at)

Kalcevic Farm is one of them between Prospect and Bennett. I don’t have any pictures of the tractor they built. They were old airport tugs. I was told that they could out run a Greyhound bus between Byers and Last Chance. I think they had 903 Cummins in them? They were gone by the time I got there. 

Did some research and I’m pretty sure that’s a D-9 Cat pulling that rig. Couldn’t find any Allis crawlers with air cleaner in the front like that one. And the exhaust pipe at the left rear of the hood was early D-9 placement.

1 hour ago, Dave Downs said:

Did some research and I’m pretty sure that’s a D-9 Cat pulling that rig. Couldn’t find any Allis crawlers with air cleaner in the front like that one. And the exhaust pipe at the left rear of the hood was early D-9 placement.

Dave I think its a D7E stick shift .Don't look large enough to be a D9G

5 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The pick up looks like a 78

Round headlights but I almost think the grille center is there of a slightly older truck maybe?  Cool pic no matter what year the truck was 😊

11 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Round headlights but I almost think the grille center is there of a slightly older truck maybe?  Cool pic no matter what year the truck was 😊

77 or earlier

37 minutes ago, Dave Shepard said:

Is that a CAT sticker on the side if tge seat? Doesn't look anywhere near big enough for a 9.

I think that is a CAT sticker like you said.