13.6 x 38 rears for M

I been shopping for new tires and there is a lot on the market for the 13.6x38?

Harvest King

GTK

Alliance

Carlisle

Firestone

Good Year

Titan

I have been looking at Carlisle and  GKT not sure? Any one have experience with the new stuff?

The M rears are pretty wore they pulled every thing from stumps to plows time for new🙂 👽  👀

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

I would choose Firestone out of that choice for longevity . Some of the cheaper ones dry rot worse than most. Goodyear has only been good for a year for me, titan and maybe carlisle are part of goodyear company now . Alliance would be my second choice but I hear they are not good at traction 

• Thanks 1

SUPERMAN -WOW, You did get your money's worth off those old Firestones.  My '54 Super H had new 11-38 Firestones from Farmall, the new 12.4x38, and they wore really weird too. Centers of the lugs wore down, and right on the edge of that wear surface they had a raised knob close to half inch tall. And the back sides of the outer end of the lugs wore down almost flush with the tire casing just like your tires are. The replacement tires Dad & I mounted in 1969 are DAYTON 12.4X38, think made by Firestone, 23 degree lugs, lots and lots of road miles and they have worn completely even!  Most of our tractors had Good-Year,  the SM-TA had the factory installed 12-38/13.6x38 GY Super Sure Grip, the old 45 degree R-1, and they still had plenty of lug left when traded off in 1965, probably 60%. The 450 the MTA was for had brand new GY Super-Torque's, 15.5x38,  BIG heavy zig-zag lugs, almost what they would call an R-1W nowdays. 4010 had the factory 15.5 GY straight 45 degree lugs, similar to SM-TA but wore to 40-50%, Dad bought the new GY Power-Torque OEM zig-zag lug 15.5's off the neighbor when he put Firestone DEEP TREADS on his new 4020. Now THERE is a great tire!

I'm looking at MITAS tires for my M this spring. Made in Charles City, Iowa. They offer about a dozen different tread styles just in 13.6x38's. My M spends months in the shop between hours out in the sun. The one tire on the M is a decent condition Firestone Traction Field & Road, is the survivor of a pair of matching new tires from about 1967. It's mate met an early end running over a broken off steel post opening up a corn field picking corn that fall. One of the old "Gillette" tires from about 1958 or '59 was put on to get back picking. It's weather cracked BAD, I count 4 layers of the 6 layer of broken cords thru the breaks between the zig-zags down the center of that tire.  It's 12 miles to my tire shop, I hope it makes the trip, the factory rear rims look showroom new still after 70 years, hate to beat the beads of the rim up running a flat tire.

Titan Tire, Carlisle, and Good-Year ag tire is ALL owned by Maury Taylor. When I first met him in 1979, he owned Titan Proform, a steel stamping company that stamped ag wheel centers up by Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He negotiated a deal with French & Hecht to buy rims and BINGO, he was in the dual wheel business. He made the 16x38 and 18x38 10-bolt duals for the 1586. Another part of the deal was he, Titan sold stamped centers to F&H so they could make 50% of the other duals that EWC had been making for decades.  

Eventually, during the 1980's Titan bought Electric Wheel in Quincy, Ill from Firestone. And French & Hecht from Kelsey-Hayes/Fruehauf but only their small wheel plant in Walcott, Iowa, their BIG rim/wheel plant in downtown Davenport right on River Drive was torn down and the curves on River Drive widened, the bridge from Arsenal Island intersected Right where the F&H plant was, they needed turn lanes I guess.  Somewhere in all that Maury bought Carlisle Tire also, mostly small lawn mower tires.  But Titan also makes HUGE construction equipment tires too, I haven't researched that part of the business to know who that used to be.

Maury offered me a job once when we were talking on the phone, guess I should have considered it more seriously! But who knew in 6 more years Tennaco would buy IH ag business and the FARMALL PLANT would close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would get Firestone field and road if its still available. I have 12.4 Titan Hi power lug on my H and no issues, of course its an H but its a working H....!

Titans look good on an older tractor too, the Hi power lug is the former Armstrong tire. Titan purchased Armstrong several years ago.   For clarity: Titan manufactures Goodyear farm/off-road tires to Goodyear specs.

The Titan Tire Corporation is an American tire corporation formed in 1993 by Maurice M. Taylor Jr., then owner of Titan Wheel, purchased the Dyneer Corporation, manufacturer various off-road tires. Titan is one of the largest manufacturer of off-road tires in North America.

Titan-Hi-Power-Lug-R1-Detalhe.jpg.e465a8914c1a4908dbdc4aa3a24bef03.jpg

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, TomH said:

Titan-Hi-Power-Lug-R1-Detalhe.jpg.e465a8914c1a4908dbdc4aa3a24bef03.jpg

If this pictured titan hi power lug pattern is still available it was a good tire . 

• Thanks 1

Firestone.   Not saying that others are not OK, but every other "cheap" brand just cracks up.    Goodyear esp. tend to bead crack & fail.    I've gotten to the point where every new tire on the farm is Firestone by preference.  My friend from Liberia tells me its because Firestone still uses REAL rubber from the rubber plantation over there....maybe so!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1