Water pump leak? Magnum 8920

lorenzo

So it has developed a small drip off this bolt on the water pump. 
5436E2EA-EF00-4EE8-BF41-2172F50946D4.thumb.jpeg.e4f1f21d3a377d038fb6c2b064cb0a4e.jpeg

it’s not coming from the shaft seal like you normally see,  must be a gasket I guess. Kind of strange don’t ya think for that to happen ? 

They have a little channel to carry the coolant from leaking seal to bottom of pump. This keeps coolant from getting in bearing. Loosen belt and see if pump shaft is a tad loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a quad ring for sealing the pump to block . 99.9% sure you have a leaking pump. Easy swap 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Thanks guys , I’m getting a new pump in the morning . Looks like an easy fix. 

Hope they have one. Water pumps for N14 Cummins rumored to be less than 100 in the nation.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

They have a little channel to carry the coolant from leaking seal to bottom of pump. This keeps coolant from getting in bearing. Loosen belt and see if pump shaft is a tad loose.

I see what ya mean .  This picture from E-Bay 

7F5016A5-65D4-42E7-A88A-BFF52CFA2F06.jpeg.23f8efce1144541d13e678c91c0777f1.jpeg

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Hope they have one. Water pumps for N14 Cummins rumored to be less than 100 in the nation.

I want to reevaluate my supply .... I have 8 using the 8.3 pump and 6 using the 3.9-5.9 pump; and one big cam 400 . We usually have a few in stock, used to be a frequently replaced part on the skid loaders

• Thanks 1

I'm glad it showed up right now Lorenzo, instead of in the field during planting season. When it's go time, it's go time, breakdowns make for long days.

There is no such thing as a perfectly engineered engine, but the B and C series Cummins engines are pretty good. The 5.9L 6BT water pump only has two bolts holding it on and an O-ring for sealing. I set a new personal time record for a water pump change on a 2001 Dodge Cummins at 7 minutes from when I grabbed the breaker bar to loosen the serpentine belt until I finish tightening the second bolt on the water pump. The coolant needed changed anyway, so I stuck a large catch pan under the truck and never drained the radiator, just reached in and removed both bolts and popped the pump out and it drained quick. Grabbed the new pump and put the O-ring in the groove and bolted it on. You didn't even have to remove the engine fan or fan shroud. Engineers can design easy to service engines, but unfortunately always seem to try to see what they can design to make you empty half your tool chest just to do the simplest maintenance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Three of them within a 40 minute drive of my house.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Original one did not have the same weep slot. C6B09B43-58EB-4A62-B44C-D322D68FF9A9.thumb.jpeg.264abb351b7c79596c8ea4d7480330a4.jpeg

I don't think I have seen that before