Who is turkey hunting this spring?

Anybody gone turkey hunting yet?  IL has 5 seasons that run roughly 6 days each. Land owner tags allow you to hunt every season but only on your own property. Paid tags are only good for 1 season but birds may be taken anywhere in the county (where you have permission).  You can only get 1 paid tag per lottery and there are two lotteries.  Choice is given to anyone who does not have a tag before multiples are issued.

I have a paid tag for second and fourth seasons.  Second season ends tomorrow by the calendar but ended for me this morning at 6:30. Bird weighed 22.2lbs, 9.5” beard, and spurs were 1” or just over.  This is my second turkey and isn’t a record breaker but is a solid bird.  It’s also the first bird I have personally called in.  It is a mature Tom (male) at 2yrs old.  The colors on these things never cease to amaze me.  The meat never tastes too bad either 😊.  Feel free to add in your turkey stories and pictures.

0034F8AB-D217-4AC1-889E-590E47F919E6.jpeg

4515373B-3072-4E7F-A069-C2C4C207E7C8.jpeg

• Like 11

NY spring season runs the month of May and tags are for statewide use, two tags per hunter. Spring season is for bearded birds only. Hunting open from sunrise to noon.

I love turkey hunting. My nephew got his first last year. This year he has his own gun and we've been watching one that could be a local record

Edit: season is May, not March

• Like 2

Congratulations Todd. 

I think it's May here in PA also. My boys want to go so hopefully we can get out a little bit

• Thanks 1

I’m thinking if I can find some more mushrooms that we will have quite a feast!

E527D96E-15A3-4742-81A7-A788DF168B5A.jpeg

• Like 4

This ornery 'ol fart came to visit a couple days ago, ended up coming after me, had to swat him with the leaf rake to chase him off- he was not impressed by swatting the yard waste can, kept coming. Actually started to charge me again, changed his mind when I held up the rake again lol

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have never turkey hunted.  Seems interesting however I am just not sure we have enough in our area to make it productive. Only seen a flock of turkeys once here.  Over the winter a dozen or so walked out across the field and up over the hill out of sight.

I have said for years I wanted to just never did. This may be the year and it starts on Monday. We certainly have enough and I do enjoy watching them. Someone suggested to me last fall they were hard on the quail so another reason to harvest.

Not a WildTurkey hunter myself------although I have "killed" an occasional one from the liquor store.

My son-in-law is a big turkey hunter.

My 11 yr old grandson just killed his first turkey last week.  Daddy Ed called him up-----I think Ed gets more pleasure in calling them than shooting one.

IMG_6707.thumb.jpg.042d7e0d2c5563c7590866a08022c30f.jpg

Sure is some good eating when smoked on the grille.

Todd-----tell us more about your recipie/ cooking process.  (never have seen one prepared like in your picture)

DD

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Todd-----tell us more about your recipie/ cooking process.  (never have seen one prepared like in your picture)

DD

That is the two halves of the breast in salt water. I will cut it into strips, bread in Andy’s and fry one half probably. (I know it says “chicken” breading but the turkey won’t know the difference at this point 😊) The other half we will probably try to smoke. I think the 15 morels I found this afternoon will go well with the wild Turkey. 

9330D9E7-7D72-426C-B3C4-56691FFC15C0.jpeg

84814C2B-3E24-4F06-88F1-3A639DFDEBC5.jpeg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

way to go sledge nothing like the rush of getting them in close w/out them seeing you

Thanks. I stopped him at 30 yards. He was after the Jake decoy I had set up. He had full plans to whip some plastic turkey tail. Came in like he was on a rail for over 200 yards across the field. 

• Haha 1

Congrats sledge. hard to beat thrill of gobbler hunting. here in PA may 1 starts. I got 2 tags. Been lucky enough to bag 8 long beards last 4 seasons. WV starts this monday. Will be headed there as it's hour n half drive. Probably killed nearly 100. Took a lot of years and boot miles. And 50 years! lol

• Thanks 1

Generally very tame around here. Takes getting shot up several times for the flock get careful.  Just after sundown several strolled through my front yard. But they taste ok when I have bothered to go get one.  

• Haha 1

I could throw rock and hit 3. There's a flock of 50+ that roost it the tall hemlocks and pines, squawk in the morning, muster in the field, and march through my yard . The other morning I was leaving to catch an early flight while they were awake and still in the trees. I made my best gobble and they all answered me! Funny, did it several times and my gobble is terrible. I once found some turkey calls online and played them on my iPad. Really got their attention. Local store, now closed, was a check station. In years past they averaged 22lb each. Pretty common to see them attacking my bumpers.

My mom's cousin is a fanatic and makes his own custom calls 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, New Englander said:

The other morning I was leaving to catch an early flight while they were awake and still in the trees. I made my best gobble and they all answered me! Funny, did it several times and my gobble is terrible.

They just figured that you were gobbling with a very pronounced Southern accent

• Haha 1

A Turkey doesn’t like anything making more noise than it does. (I worked with a woman like that once). They will sometimes gobble at train whistles, thunder, loud vehicle exhaust, crows, or back up beepers.  My Dad has cattle at my place and calls the calves in to be fed morning and evening. He calls the same way his Grandfather did.  I heard turkeys gobble at him calling the calves once a couple years ago. 
This year around here they will gobble in the morning on the roost but not of an evening or once they hit the ground in the morning. That’s what I’m hearing from lots of different people and have seen myself. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

Out here they are out of control and need hunted like rabbits in the 30s , state wlp like a big herd to sell tickets to their circus of out of stators!

I'll load the car (and the gun). Where are you?

My nephew Dylan got his first turkey here at the farm this morning. He’s an avid deer hunter but never turkey. We didn’t have a scale but the beard is 9-1/2” and the spurs are 1-1/8”. I’m guessing 20-22lbs. He was headed home with it to weigh, haven’t heard back from him... 

My 4 legged son Hank, was all kinds of excited to have something different to smell!!

D5F7021C-2953-4C48-9FDE-7B0C85639765.jpeg

• Like 2

Got out of bed this morning and see 2 tom putting on a show for hen. 😉 Last evening another hunter moved in.  A momma bob cat strolled on by carrying a kitten heading to the brush pile all my yard tree  trimmings go onto.  I will see if there are any quail around after a few days.

Had probably 30 birds grouped together last couple of weeks, today when getting hay from the bale lot it was more like 10 hens and a tom. Tractor noise didn't stop him from putting on a show at 50 yards. The hens moved away on the second round.

You guys won’t believe this but around here the albino ones all stay together in the same house!!! Have to be just as sneaky lol

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

You guys won’t believe this but around here the albino ones all stay together in the same house!!! Have to be just as sneaky lol

I have seen a pie ball wild Turkey.