Subsoiler question

Duntongw

I have noticed at a number of auctions this year, that people have single tooth subsoilers. What exactly would these be used for? I could see ones with a number of teeth, but just a single?

Just curious,  thank you.

We removed every tooth except the middle one on a v ripper. Plowed a grid for pecan trees to be planted. Pulled the single as deep as it would go to break the hard pan and provide soft soil for the tree roots.

• Like 2

I built a single shank ripper for tearing out extreme compaction.  We had a dirt mover split a hill in the middle of a field and use a tractor pulled scraper to dig the hill down some and build up a couple cattle yards.  That left two severely compacted paths across the field from the hill to the pens.  The ripper ran maybe 16” deep and just one shank was enough to make a 1066 work some in Lo 4.  Later I used that ripper occasionally to tear up ends of the field that got beat down from manure tank traffic.

• Like 1

I have a couple of single shank subsoilers in my collection.  The 1 is a pull type on steel wheels with clutch lift and the other is fast hitch.  I'd say the reason these are only 1 shank is because that's all the tractors of that timeframe could pull.  If you are going 12" deep in a hard pan an M might struggle with 1 shank.

I bought the pull type on an estate sale.  An old guy at that sale told me many people in that area, around Readlyn IA, bought them to try and improve drainage.  I assume get through the hard pan to try and get the water to drain quicker.  But he said when they started installing field tile most stopped using them.

Just now, DT Fan said:

Also known as a 'Rock Pick', and for good reason. I'll take some pics when I get to the farm.

Just for fun I tried the pull type behind my H.  Didn't go far and hooked a rock, just sat there and spun.  Couldn't even move to raise it since it's clutch lift.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Also known as a 'Rock Pick', and for good reason. I'll take some pics when I get to the farm.

if i wanted rocks out of the ground a moldboard plow was the answer....a chisel plow or subsoiler just didnt do the trick for me...even a spring auto reset plow brought up more rocks than a chisel plow

19 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

if i wanted rocks out of the ground a moldboard plow was the answer....a chisel plow or subsoiler just didnt do the trick for me...even a spring auto reset plow brought up more rocks than a chisel plow

You must have a light chisel plow. Ours drug up stuff the mold board didn't touch. Ours is quite aggressive. We run deep with a 4 inch twist point. 

• Like 2

Single shank was made for the JD tractors like the 4960 etc and the 5 shank was made for the 8950 Magnums ...... 

;)

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

You must have a light chisel plow. Ours drug up stuff the mold board didn't touch. Ours is quite aggressive. We run deep with a 4 inch twist point. 

had a CaseIH 6650 11 shank with walking tandems....is that what consider a light chisel plow?

Here's some various pics of my No. 4 Allis sub-soiler. Did about 15 acres with it last fall. Most of the rocks pictured here it found, the big one sheared the bolts that hold it together. I thought the thing was totaled! Four new bolts, and a couple of spots of weld and back in business. You can see the scar where the 'pick' hit that big one.

I like to run it through the wet spots and high traffic areas. Really does help with drainage, tile would be better.

fullsizeoutput_17c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_147.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71.jpeg

IMG_0933.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

had a CaseIH 6650 11 shank with walking tandems....is that what consider a light chisel 

Don't know what to tell you. Ours is a 6500. All I can tell you is it grabbed stuff that the 710 would trip over. Dad said when they first bought it that they picked so much stone that they began to think buying it was a mistake. Then it began to fall off. Yeah, we're still finding stone easy enough where we run it. But nothing to the degree we had when they first got it.

We used to run a 1 row down the rows of tobacco after harvest after granddad passed we quit that . Sometimes we use it at the end of fields where the semi sits . 

I asked my dad why the No. 2 is in the family and my grandpa bought it to break up the spots with the worst plow pan. Plow pan is one of the detriments of plowing all the time. I recall Oliver offered points below their plow bottoms to break up plow pan.

18 hours ago, bitty said:

Single shank was made for the JD tractors like the 4960 etc and the 5 shank was made for the 8950 Magnums ...... 

;)

But the single shank behind the Deere is feeding pipe (tile) into the ground!!!

22 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Still have a No. 2. Don't know why anybody would use one for tillage unless you had ground too tough to plow.

It goes deeper than plow.  Here most bury the frame near and get honest 24 to 30" rip.  Rains really compact clay-ier land here and it just wont drain or grown anything.  No frost to heave/ break up top either.  And since we grow lots of grass sub soiling keeps the stand from puddle (drown) for few years.  Avg stand prob 5 years then we switch to corn 2 the back to grass.

Ill take a pic today when my neighbor rips for me here after lunch.

My uncle has a sungle shank with 3' log chain welded to bottom and a bowling ball sized bullet welded to the chain.  He backs into the puddles in March and rips out to the ditch.  Water goes away in 24h

• Like 1

As Troy and others have stated these were designed to break up hard pan or plow pan rather than primary tillage.  But I'd say the answer to the original question as to why only 1 shank is HP.  Deep tillage takes a lot of power, at the time many of these were built there wasn't horsepower available to pull more than 1 shank.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1965Dennis said:

I have a single shank I run along the edges of fields. Trim back the limbs and subsoiler ripper takes out roots. Might not be what it was designed for but it works for me.

I do the same.

On the horsepower thing, one shank will work a WD45 pretty hard in dirt that needs ripped. Mine is a model 4. Allis made a model 44, two shank for D-17"s and larger I suppose. It was actually expandable to three shanks! My feeling, if you can pull three shanks with a D-17, you would probably be better off doing something else. Maybe I'm crazy. On a side note, I have never seen a No. 44.

1 hour ago, 49coopE3 said:

Deere still makes a single shank subsoiler. My new one just came today, I did have to order it.

IMG_20210414_191339456.jpg

That is interesting in that it came under the John Deere name, and not as a Frontier.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

But the single shank behind the Deere is feeding pipe (tile) into the ground!!!

At only 4 to 6 inches deep in the ground, don't want to risk hurting the 15 speed powerlesshift..................LOL!

In elementary school we IH guys always said that Deeres were painted green so they could hide in the grass and watch the IH's do all the work.  ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I do the same.

On the horsepower thing, one shank will work a WD45 pretty hard in dirt that needs ripped. Mine is a model 4. Allis made a model 44, two shank for D-17"s and larger I suppose. It was actually expandable to three shanks! My feeling, if you can pull three shanks with a D-17, you would probably be better off doing something else. Maybe I'm crazy. On a side note, I have never seen a No. 44.

9 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I have a single shank I run along the edges of fields. Trim back the limbs and subsoiler ripper takes out roots. Might not be what it was designed for but it works for me.

Wish I had a picture of the root plow my buddy had custom built can't remember the Steiger he had but it could stop it in its tracks if things were tough enough. Around a 50 inch shank