Jump to content

got my new round baler


ny bill o
 Share

Recommended Posts

I picked up my new round baler today. Saved from the junkman. Its in decent condition for the age. Even has twine in the can. I was told the old guy that had it used it close up to when he died, stored it upstairs on the hay mow drive floor. I'm looking forward to trying it this summer, maybe about 5 or 10 bales worth, just to see if it will make a bale. I suspect that it may have been sold new by our local Allis dealer, but there are no dealer stickers on it. It lived about 18 miles away from me.

405132944_2021-04-1216_38_21.thumb.jpg.3c4f31df048352f6cac7d9460c10cf99.jpg

249449354_2021-04-1216_38_35.thumb.jpg.c076babd9319311956c0b46e47bb9922.jpg

65069591_2021-04-1216_38_57.thumb.jpg.0a6f91f714ac29ace4d2fe13be303ee2.jpg.

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guy tried to sell me one years ago while i was looking at a flair box wagon I did buy. Both were inside the same barn. I politely passed. Interesting but I really wanted no part of small round bales. Lol. Was suppose to work and be in decent shape. Dont recall what he wanted. Think i got the wagon for between 150 and 250.....probably closer to 150..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is awesome! I would like to see that hooked behind an an Allis! I have. D-14 in mind? how much HP does it require?? Want to get together for a photo shoot? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow it looks really good.  I was expecting a new Holland silage special or something.  I can't imagine actually baling any volume with something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh dear, i hoped i would never see one of those again, they were cruel to me in my youth, i was so glad to work for guys with square balers that knew how to adjust them 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

That is awesome! I would like to see that hooked behind an an Allis! I have. D-14 in mind? how much HP does it require?? Want to get together for a photo shoot? 

I had a D14 when I started farming in 1980. Had to sell it to help pay for the 4010. 

I think the rotobaler was intro'ed with the WD and its' power director. Maybe about the same hP as a D14?

Pretty soon, I could do a hay day. NH 311 PTO square baler, Massey Harris #1? square baler PTO, Case square baler with a little Wisconsin non running engine, there is a NH Super 77 sstuffed back in the barn that needs a PTO gearbox, as the PO took off the Wisconsin engine before he sent it to the auction, the Allis rotobaler, NH 848 and 650 round balers, and a New Idea hay loader that needs straightening after it apparently tipped over. Oh, an IH rope and slat hay loader that broke one slat as soon as I put it in gear to see if it worked.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Wow it looks really good.  I was expecting a new Holland silage special or something.  I can't imagine actually baling any volume with something like that.

that is why I said 5 or 10 bales. On a day when I have somebody to help pick up the bales.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of those about a mile from me sitting in a fence row. The guy thinks they have a rare thing even though they have been sitting for over 30 years outside.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

after watching some videos of rotobalers in operation, maybe 10 bales is too much time to invest in the thing. The pickup chain stops every time the bale gets full size and ties (automatically). Which seems to happen every 6 feet or so. At that rate, I could do a whole kicker wagon full while the Allis is making 25 bales of unstackable hay. 

I just wanted it because its different.

Now if I could only find an Allis Chalmers front unloading manure spreader..... I had a chance to get a free one in the early 90s, but I never went after it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

after watching some videos of rotobalers in operation, maybe 10 bales is too much time to invest in the thing. The pickup chain stops every time the bale gets full size and ties (automatically). Which seems to happen every 6 feet or so. At that rate, I could do a whole kicker wagon full while the Allis is making 25 bales of unstackable hay. 

I just wanted it because its different.

 

Congrats.  I've seen a few rotos around here in death row.  That was/is my knock against them.  Having to stop every 10 ft or so to tie a bale.  Painfully slow and tedious.   Plus the windrow had to be raked right.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Around 25 years ago there was someone in Troopsburg NY using one of those things 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i remember neighbor useing on in the fiftys on a wd thing i remember as a kid is how long it took them to bale a field copared to our IH 45 witch was slow.

 

pete

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They made an attachment (for the later ones maybe?) To recirculate the hay back to front of pickup so you didn't have to stop. Always wondered if the window was very heavy how that would work out by the time bale tied and kicked out.....never saw a roto baler in action but FIL did as a young man. Guy across the rode at time had one behind a Wd or Wd45. Said the guy was always in a hurry and rough on stuff. Front wheels of the tractor would be off the ground or nearly so when he took off making the next bale according to FIL. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

They made an attachment (for the later ones maybe?) To recirculate the hay back to front of pickup so you didn't have to stop. Always wondered if the window was very heavy how that would work out by the time bale tied and kicked out.....never saw a roto baler in action but FIL did as a young man. Guy across the rode at time had one behind a Wd or Wd45. Said the guy was always in a hurry and rough on stuff. Front wheels of the tractor would be off the ground or nearly so when he took off making the next bale according to FIL. 

I saw that attachment pictured on the cover of one of the Ebay-offered owner's manuals, and one of the Utube videos actually shows it in operation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My uncle still used one like that till he retired in 2014.. He loved it for feeding cattle easy to handle bales..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bob01230 said:

I cant remember the details but my father said that this baler was very dangerous to work with. So please be careful with it

we had a neighbor that was baling next door with a rotobaler in the early 60s. I forget what happened, but he lost both arms in the thing. He got metal hooks for arms, and drove an F350 cattle truck, dealing cows and calves to the auctions.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bob01230 said:

I cant remember the details but my father said that this baler was very dangerous to work with. So please be careful with it

Dad told me people thought they were dangerous. He thought they drove people crazy and they jumped in.

Dad hired a guy to do a late fall cut on 20 acre field of red clover He pulled with an old case and got along fairly well. We left them lay and turned the cows out on it that winter early so it hadn't laid very long. Turned the field under in the spring and I don't remeber any problems with trash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Nice find! 

There's a guy an hr NE of here that still makes a field worth every year. Leaves them in the field and let's the cows eat them.  

20201011_141509.jpg

20201011_141446.jpg

Interesting approach.  Seems like poor management to me.  Going to kill the grass off where they lay.  Would think the cattle would waste a majority of the bales that way too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...