Last week I reached out to the local baler repair man and asked what he would want to fix my baler that started to miss tie on one side he said it would be too hard to give me a price without looking at it and asked me to bring it to him to look at it to give me a estimate so I brought it over and he says he needs $700 to make it tie. I said sorry that's more than I am willing to spend as I am just trying to get it going to sell it and move on, I then offered it to him for $300 less then I am asking for it and he declined witch is totally fine so I take it home and now he's asking me for $100 just to look at. I'm sorry I just don't feel right about that, in my mind you did no adjustment or work to it and it's still as broken as before I bought it to you so why would I be paying to get a quote to repair it from you? All I was looking for was a cost of repair period. He asked for me to bring it to him for his convenience so I did and now he wants $100 just to give me a quote?  I work on used cars for a living and if I don't do my job I don't get paid simple as that, and I don't charge for quoating jobs because again I didn't do anything to change it so I don't deserve to get paid for doing nothing to it. Or is this just how the farm world is? Is it like dealing with a lawyer where there's a fee for a free consultation? Just seems wrong to me  you guy's though on it? Thanks 

• Sad 2

If the had traveled, or set up a quote with parts, labor, and a finish date/time then ok

If you were asking for an insurance quote and needed a firm estimate then ok

If you were standing in the drive and he looked it over for a few and popped a number off then that's about all its worth 

he should have said something ahead of time, however, he is going to tell people whatever he wants them to hear about you, and you may never get a chance to tell your side of the story, so everyone who comes along with a bailer is going to hear about the guy who wasted his time, and stiffed him 100 bucks... that may not be right, or fair, but I guarantee that is what will happen. personally, id give him the 100 bucks, consider it a lesson learned and don't go back.. but that is just me. 

• Like 1

Give him the money and walk away, he could chase business away from you if he chose to, maybe some day he will need a vehicle worked on and you can get your money back.

• Like 1

Vt is right about the behind your back sniping, but with no mention of a fee when asked to bring it to him my feeling is this doesn’t warrant a charge. But as vt also said he could drag you across glass to everyone and you have no retort so what about a split, tell him you feel there was no mention of price but how about fifty bucks, that way you keep your name clear for any backtalk around town and if he says no screw him you tried and he wouldn’t meet you halfway.

Another thought was his 700.00 price, where is that in the scheme of things, if he did the job and rolled the 100.00 into a reduced price, I’ve dealt with shade tree guys for years and a lot of times they are open to prices being open to discussing, just a couple of thoughts, good luck.

• Like 2

First off, what kind of baler?

Secondly, if it was tying and suddenly it isn't, and nothing is visibly broken, I really doubt it needs $700 to make it tie.  In fact, I bet, if it is a JD or NH, that just stopped tying for no apparent reason, I could make it tie, with few or no parts.  Granted, it may need $700 worth of parts to make it right, but I doubt it needs all that just to tie again.  He may have found other things he thought should be replaced at this time.  I once put $1200 worth of parts into a JD baler that was still working, but it needed them soon.  I just put $500 into my NH baler that worked like a champ all last year.  But again, it was preventative maintenance to avoid down time.  His $700 doesn't sound that far off, but probably not just to make it tie.

There are no good square baler mechanics around here.  For us to run them, I have had to learn to fix them and keep them going.

I think his $100 inspection fee is ridiculous, unless he spent an hour or more going over every piece on it, and gave you a written breakdown of his findings and recommendations and parts needed.  If I were you though, I'd pay it, then never go back.  And warn others away.

Where are you located?  If I was close, I'd try to show you how to fix it.  Then next time, you wouldn't need anyone.

• Like 2

At this point of the game I'm not too concerned about people back talking about me I just choose to try and take the high road and steer clear when I can. However I believe I will just pay up this time and take it as a lesson and move forward I don't want to start any games after having my mower stolen from my front yard last summer as retaliation after all it is the new minnesota way to just take from others LOL  😐

1 hour ago, TN Hillbilly said:

First off, what kind of baler?

Secondly, if it was tying and suddenly it isn't, and nothing is visibly broken, I really doubt it needs $700 to make it tie.  In fact, I bet, if it is a JD or NH, that just stopped tying for no apparent reason, I could make it tie, with few or no parts.  Granted, it may need $700 worth of parts to make it right, but I doubt it needs all that just to tie again.  He may have found other things he thought should be replaced at this time.  I once put $1200 worth of parts into a JD baler that was still working, but it needed them soon.  I just put $500 into my NH baler that worked like a champ all last year.  But again, it was preventative maintenance to avoid down time.  His $700 doesn't sound that far off, but probably not just to make it tie.

There are no good square baler mechanics around here.  For us to run them, I have had to learn to fix them and keep them going.

I think his $100 inspection fee is ridiculous, unless he spent an hour or more going over every piece on it, and gave you a written breakdown of his findings and recommendations and parts needed.  If I were you though, I'd pay it, then never go back.  And warn others away.

Where are you located?  If I was close, I'd try to show you how to fix it.  Then next time, you wouldn't need anyone.

I appreciate the offer however I think by the time I take a 2000 mi round trip I don't think I could afford the drive and to fix the baler. It's just a old 337 deere the part that gets me is he said it needs a few things I had just done 300 or so bales ago 🤔

I wouldn’t pay him anything. You made it easy for him just to look at it. Talking with the customer about their equipment the mechanic might be working on is part of the business and since you took it to him that’s how I see it. If he wasted fuel and had to stop what he was doing to come look at it then he could use some compensation. If he wants to badmouth you that’s fine. Those who know you will know better if he does talk and for those that believe him in my opinion they aren’t worth changing their mind. The older I get the less my give a **** meter bounces. I try to do right by others but you can’t please everyone and it sounds like without any upfront agreement for cash that now he’s asking you for money. 

• Like 2

UPDATE: I finally got the chance to go back after he called me and requested that I pay him for giving me a repair estimate. I decided I would go back and give him the full $100 he wanted and would say next time can you please be upfront about what and how much you're charging me. I don't usually get into this kind of he said she said BS but this one is really bothering me. So I aproched him and said this " Hey I have something to give you for looking at my baler, next time tho can you please be upfront about what you are going to charge me." He proceeded to telling me I'm in the wrong and how he's running a business and how if I take things to town they don't just work for free. I said I am not expecting you to work for free so I came to pay you what you wanted. He proceeded to yelling about 'all the work he did to it' and he said where do they asses your problems for free? I told we don't at the shop my family co owns. And named another place in town I go and ask questions and about pricing all the time some time I buy it but 3 out of 4 times I pass and I don't get charged for it. I then offered to pay him what he wanted and he said "forget it if it's such a big deal for you and leave" I then trued again to explain I don't mind paying you I just would appreciate it if you would be upfront with me about it. He just lost his temper and yelled at me to leave. I guess so much for me to try to mend things, he made up my mind if I was going to spend $1500+ on baler repairs with him again not after this outburst. I don't like to rat on anyone but I would steer clear of this mechanic in the Zimmerman/princeton area as he has a nasty temper. And for me I guess I am the bad guy for standing up for myself I would have loved for this to have turned out better for the both of us. The way he acts you would think he's a deere guy....  Sorry for the rant I just had to get this one off my chest 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goes to show there are all kinds of people. You attempted to do what you had to to make it right, it sounds like he refused payment.

When he realized you were shopping money in anticipation of selling your baler and you weren't wanting to sink that into it he simply tried to squeeze you for money.  He had nothing to lose at that point.

Maybe you should start a side biz working on such things.

I've travelled all over the local counties to give bids on work and have never been offered a fee or even a baloney sammich.  When I got busy I would say up front I charge the same to come give an estimate as I charge to run my equipment, but if you hire me I deduct from the total.  Whoever didn't ok that turned out to be the ones not willing or able to hire in the first place.

Ask him for a list of people who have paid for estimates for referral..............see where that goes

On a side note someone brings a car to us and says the battery is draining all the time and we look at it find out it's a alternator going out and they choose not to fix it and leave we don't bill them $100 to look at it. I understand that he had time into looking at it and I am willing to pay him for that. However I wish he could have said upfront dude if I am going to look at it $100 doesn't matter if you bring it to me or I come to you just to get a quote to fix it $100 

• Like 2

Shakin’ my head.

So how long did he “look” at it?  I’ve done lots of knotter work, most problems are either obvious after a bit of looking (gross adjustment error or severely worn parts or broken parts) or can be a bit subtle to find but the subtle stuff is seldom expensive.  I wonder how he arrived at $700 to fix it?  Seems like a lot.  Half labor I suppose, but even $350 in parts on a small baler seems like a lot unless there was a bad crash that trashed the knotter/s/needle/s.

You have nada to feel bad about, obviously a jerk who you are better off not knowing and knowing about, life is to short to put up with ass hats, take momma out for dinner with the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He’s in the wrong. I’ve never been charged or billed for an estimate. If you want to run a good business you don’t do that. Not that I claim to know how to run a business

Good thing you didn’t hire him to fix it! That $700 quote would have turned into $1700 in the blink of an eye.

What is it doing when it doesn’t tie? Does it form a knot? One side bother or both? The nice thing about balers is you usually have one knotter working right that you can study to see what the other one isn’t doing! Study it, push some dry hay through it, but first- change the twine your using! A lot of the problems start with the twine. After that look through ALL your adjustments. And- make sure your needles are entering and exiting the knitters correctly! 
Good luck!

Not sure why people often overthink knotters, yes they can be finicky but an absolute or very often no tie can be obvious.  As others said look at the other tying knotter.  I usually trip the knotter to tie and then move it through a tie cycle by hand with an assistant so you can see everything work and if proper clearances and relationships between components are there. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with that fellows attitude.  

I more then likely I could have figured the problem and gotten it to work. I would have liked to gotten it to tie before selling it but I don't think I could have gotten my money back and I think someone got a fair deal on it the way it sat. Just a shame that some people who are double or triple my age can't be mature enough to handle things like adults

26 minutes ago, Youngred2000 said:

Just a shame that some people who are double or triple my age can't be mature enough to handle things like adults

That is the very reason why he thought he could get away with what he tried to pull on you.

I would not hesitate to bad mouth his business, using the example of what he did.

• Like 3

Thats the sad state of affairs of our so called "modern progressive world" in which we find ourselves. People anymore expect to be paid if you even ask them a question., such as what time is it? 

No thank you! I'll take the age when you helped someone, and especially neighbors, just cause it was the "RIGHT" thing to do.... No enumeration or payment of any kind was ever expected or required.... Look at the success of the Amish communities over the many years! Besides making you feel good even for a few minutes, when you look at the Biiiiiggg ledger book the Lord keeps track of all of us in, you'll find you got that green checkmark next to your name. And thats something. This is the beginning of the downfall of societies. But thats just my humble opinion..... 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, N S said:

Thats the sad state of affairs of our so called "modern progressive world" in which we find ourselves. People anymore expect to be paid if you even ask them a question., such as what time is it? 

No thank you! I'll take the age when you helped someone, and especially neighbors, just cause it was the "RIGHT" thing to do.... No enumeration or payment of any kind was ever expected or required.... Look at the success of the Amish communities over the many years! Besides making you feel good even for a few minutes, when you look at the Biiiiiggg ledger book the Lord keeps track of all of us in, you'll find you got that green checkmark next to your name. And thats something. This is the beginning of the downfall of societies. But thats just my humble opinion..... 

today, people expect to be paid for sitting on their butt!

look at the employment situation for an example