Railroad car graffiti

TomH

I saw this go by last week, some has been painted out. Might have said “Whores” instead of “Horrors” ? Anyway thought it was pretty neat and anyone else seen it?D386EDDD-0170-49FB-94C6-852FE8E3E63B.thumb.jpeg.01c58dd57ee87a11796fbd469267adfa.jpegA5B007D2-2AB0-43F3-909E-AB793F854312.thumb.jpeg.0a7a365eb593b78a20f85dfe761433e2.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mmi said:

? artieeest with commission?

left all the  safety and ID  tags clean....?

No. They repaint the ID tags. Railroads found that they cant keep train cars graffiti free no matter what. So they're thoughts are " why repaint it if it's going to be tagged again " so they repaint the ID tags and leave the rest. Saves on paint.

• Like 2

Over the years l've seen a lot of graffiti on rail cars and a lot of it was actually pretty good art work. And one that has surprised me is that a lot of what l've seen wasn't obscene or vulgar.....usually just humorous. But bridges and overpasses are a different story......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Over the years l've seen a lot of graffiti on rail cars and a lot of it was actually pretty good art work. And one that has surprised me is that a lot of what l've seen wasn't obscene or vulgar.....usually just humorous. But bridges and overpasses are a different story......

Some are good Artists honestly. ( not that I approve of defacing someone else's property)

Near where we live there is a abandoned bowling alley that has some pretty impressive tagging done to it. Also seen some on a closed Lonestar Steakhouse restaurant in Jackson Mi. Whoever owns the building though has repainted it.

• Like 2

Are there still “hobos “? Do guys ride the rails anymore? I remember the mid 60s I hopped a freight train from revelstoke to Edmonton, for a 17 year old kid it was a hoot but I wouldn’t want to live my life around it. Used to hear of hobo jungles but I guess the homeless camps all over everywhere not just train yards are so prevalent now it’s the new wave. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Some are good Artists honestly. ( not that I approve of defacing someone else's property)

That is where I am at. 

I see quite a few trains on HWY 2 and going over the RR yards at North Platte and wish I could take some pics but am always driving. 

There is some real talent out there. 

A collection would make a good coffee table book. 

• Like 3

I know for a fact that some ( NOT ALL) but some of it is done by RR employees. SOME, I said SOME , SOME ,SOME ,SOME !!!!!!!    

BEFORE YOU JUMP ALL OVER THIS I SAID SOME, !!!!!!!!!!!!

Kids did not do that one , IMO.

If they did then where did they get enough money to buy seventy five cans of paint at five or six bucks a can and then how did they haul all of it out where a rail car was parked??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

buy seventy five cans of paint

How do YOU know how many cans it took??   ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

That is where I am at. 

I see quite a few trains on HWY 2 and going over the RR yards at North Platte and wish I could take some pics but am always driving. 

There is some real talent out there. 

A collection would make a good coffee table book. 

And supply a chalkboard on top to practice your own skills.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sandhiller said:

How do YOU know how many cans it took??   ?

Ya how?

I get it , Lorenzo the magnificent!

• Haha 2

For the record,  “ Tagging” is what gang members do , usually just a simple gang indication . One can of paint( stolen no doubt) then they leave the can so their not caught with it.

57 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Are there still “hobos “? Do guys ride the rails anymore?

Yes, watch youtube for "hobo shoestring"... among others.

• Thanks 2

Boxcar Willie?

In mid 80’s was considering a rail trip should have in retrospect 

I do admire the artistic ability, wouldn’t mind getting a good one to paint a wall in the shop but always wondered how much stuff might be gone a week later ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Are there still “hobos “? Do guys ride the rails anymore? I remember the mid 60s I hopped a freight train from revelstoke to Edmonton, for a 17 year old kid it was a hoot but I wouldn’t want to live my life around it. Used to hear of hobo jungles but I guess the homeless camps all over everywhere not just train yards are so prevalent now it’s the new wave. 

The Wabash Cannonball talked of "riding through the jungles".

I had wondered about the Hobo activity myself.  Been along time since I have seen a Hobo sitting in the door of an open boxcar.

3 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

Unloaded in Carlise PA, headed west in Delta MO on the UP at 17:06 4/12/21

So-----is Raildudes Dad a real live Hobo complete with a smart phone???  Fill us in-----sounds interesting.?

DD

4 hours ago, hardtail said:

In mid 80’s was considering a rail trip should have in retrospect 

My old man told of a couple of times in the 30s riding the rails from cache creek to vancouver through the canyon, he said it was a different way of life, so when I hopped on in revelstoke and headed to edmonton and I told him it was wowser and a different way of life I found out 30 years changes some peeps idea of a different way of life, unhappy camper was  an understatement.

9 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Back in the 1960’s my Dad and a couple of his co-workers from the Toledo Scale Company once met and had a hobo lunch with Steam Train Maury Graham, “King of the Hobo’s”  in a rail yard off of Telegraph Rd. in Toledo. My Dad had a pic taken of him with Steam Train Maury. My brother up in Michigan has the pic. We decided that my brother would be the “curator” of all of Mom and Dad’s pictures. 

Back in the early 1970’s a couple of my high school buddies and me hopped aboard a boxcar that had its doors open, of a slow moving train in Ottawa Lake, MI and rode it to Blissfield, MI. It was a bit dangerous at that to run along side and then hoist yourself up in to the floor of the moving boxcar. Screw up and die by getting run over by the wheels! But we made it. This was pre-meditated. Lol. We didn’t get caught. Once we jumped out in Blissfield, one of my buddies called his Mom from a pay phone and asked her to come pick us up. Lol. We all got bitched out by her, lol. And of course my Mom found out and I got reamed  out by her as well, lol.

• Like 1

I have a picture of Steam Train Maury Graham's painted signature (more of a logo) on the front of a huge locomotive on display in Amory, Mississippi.

This is the only time I have ever heard of him------other than noting his autograph on the locomotive.

Will have to search my photo files to see if I can pull it up.

Can't remember if his signature had a date on it or not.  Signing as "King of the Hobo's" made me think he musta been a character.

DD

From Google---

Lots of info on Steam Train Maury Graham------died in 2006.  From a few minutes of reading------I can tell ol' Maury was a "character".

Display at Amory, Mississippi

unnamed.jpg.d949db6a2d0eaed86fb0780a4555b72d.jpg

I probably took my picture of the above in the mid 90's.  Apparently Steamtrain Maury Graham was a regular participant in their annual rail festival.

We don't see much rail traffic here in the Delta anymore-----but Amory (east side of state) still has active railroads.  Amory has always been a major rail hub area dating back prior to the Civil War.

DD

Damn he sure had a life, born in '17, hit the road right at the beginning of the depression, and to live that long blew me away, with reading about him I found a write about Joe hill, I remember Baez singing about him at Woodstock.

15 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Rockies Mountaineer $2700

Boxcar snake run....priceless ?

11 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

Unloaded in Carlise PA, headed west in Delta MO on the UP at 17:06 4/12/21

I took the picture on the 6'th as it pulled out of Carlisle. A "short" train comes through town everyday to load/unload from the giant warehouse's along the I 81 corridor.