6 hours ago, messer9696 said:

Spent a few years pulling double. Sugar beet re-haul was a good second income for my family. 99,000 in CO, 109,500 in NE, and 120,000 in WY.

doubles.jpg

Should try Michigan weights. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Should try Michigan weights. 

Michigan should try normal weights, or fix their flipping roads!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
25 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Wouldn't work here anyway. Our state is too corrupt to fix the roads. Perhaps the weight limits should be lower but if you had the option to haul loads like that legally. Would you decline?

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Wouldn't work here anyway. Our state is too corrupt to fix the roads. Perhaps the weight limits should be lower but if you had the option to haul loads like that legally. Would you decline?

Up there? No because it’s too hard on my equipment. But yeah I try to run as heavy as I can get by with. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

But....... our heavy loads are only 13k per trailer axle not 16k so we have less weight per tire.......

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Up there? No because it’s too hard on my equipment. But yeah I try to run as heavy as I can get by with. 

We do have Michigan Special trucks to handle them loads too.

18K steer & 44k drives, many are double frame also.

1 minute ago, kevinj said:

But....... our heavy loads are only 13k per trailer axle not 16k so we have less weight per tire.......

But your trailers are so short you still tear the highway up. I loaded poultry pellets at Lake Odessa, a year ago. The guy in front of me turned around inside the building. I had to back out. 

2 minutes ago, kevinj said:

We do have Michigan Special trucks to handle them loads too.

18K steer & 44k drives, many are double frame also.

I am not saying you aren’t set up for it, just your roads SUCK!!

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I am not saying you aren’t set up for it, just your roads SUCK!!

Yep, sad too,

30 years back we had the best roads.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

But your trailers are so short you still tear the highway up. I loaded poultry pellets at Lake Odessa, a year ago. The guy in front of me turned around inside the building. I had to back out. 

Logically it seems better to run half as many trucks at lower axle weights.

We already have a driver shortage and half of what we do have are just a bunch of range cowboys.

I can't imagine what it would be like around the state with all the extra trucks full of cowboys & turbins!

Thankfully, Halliburton still had the "guaranteed hours" (60, IIRC) that you got paid when the frost laws where in effect.

I can remember 'working' 10-12 hours week, and maybe even less, during the spring, and most of that was only because they called you to see if you were still alive, to come down to do some BS 'job' in the yard.

If any job came up, we would load our equipment on a multi-multi axle trailer, and have it hauled to location, OR a pump truck had been pre-positioned and left out in the field until normalcy returned.

Yeah, our roads are bad but a lot has to do with what time of year it is also. The roads are a lot worse in February than they are when the frost is out due to the frost heaving. I notice it, the roads aren't nearly as rough as they were a month ago.

We were gonna fix the damn roads but then our governor got sidetracked by her authoritarian ways with the Covid stuff. She never had a plan to fix the roads anyway, and as people get less and less interested in listening to or obeying her shut downs and mandates, she gets madder and tries to strike back harder. 

On the original topic, there ain't nothing like pulling 160,000 pounds of logs. I had hauled quite a few loads of veneer logs that were dropped at the Indiana border for them to pick up for a mill somewhere down there. By the looks of the little bunks on their trucks, it ain't no wonder they wanted us to bring them down from northern Michigan, it looked like we could haul twice as much in a trip as they could.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

We were gonna fix the damn roads but then our governor got sidetracked by her authoritarian ways with the Covid stuff. She never had a plan to fix the roads anyway, and as people get less and less interested in listening to or obeying her shut downs and mandates, she gets madder and tries to strike back harder. 

On the original topic, there ain't nothing like pulling 160,000 pounds of logs. I had hauled quite a few loads of veneer logs that were dropped at the Indiana border for them to pick up for a mill somewhere down there. By the looks of the little bunks on their trucks, it ain't no wonder they wanted us to bring them down from northern Michigan, it looked like we could haul twice as much in a trip as they could.

The ol half wit is still riding on road work Snyder had going.......

I think it takes about 5 years or so to even get a project together???

9 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

You ought to try 105,000 on a tridem, and you are only tagged for 90,000, across 3 states and around 2 scales. 
That got my heart pumping, and I now pay better attention, sometimes, when I am loading. 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

Gee wiz, that's a light load. What kind of set up?

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Gee wiz, that's a light load. What kind of set up?

C15 powered W900 KW day cab, 18 Speed. He had some upgrades on the engine that bumped it up to 625 HP. I pulled a set of skeleton bunk B trains behind it. She was a real runner but would warm up fairly quickly on long grades in warm weather.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

C15 powered W900 KW day cab, 18 Speed. He had some upgrades on the engine that bumped it up to 625 HP. I pulled a set of skeleton bunk B trains behind it. She was a real runner but would warm up fairly quickly on long grades in warm weather.

Beech and White oak seemed to weigh up the heaviest, but it was always just a guess of what weight you had behind you when you were loading it. Most average mixed species loads would be around 145,000 or so

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kevinj said:

The ol half wit is still riding on road work Snyder had going.......

I think it takes about 5 years or so to even get a project together???

I would guess that you're probably right about the 5 year deal, but even if she had one in place, I don't think she'll be in the position to administrate it in 2 more years. Seems like the blue areas are always having some sort of work constantly being done while the rest of us live with what we have. Maybe she'll still try to raise the gas tax 45 cents, instead of the sales tax 2 cents. We can't raise sales tax because it hurts low income families allegedly. (Those with rent, heat, Internet assistance, and the $1200 foodstamp benefit since this covid stuff began)

56 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

I would guess that you're probably right about the 5 year deal, but even if she had one in place, I don't think she'll be in the position to administrate it in 2 more years. Seems like the blue areas are always having some sort of work constantly being done while the rest of us live with what we have. Maybe she'll still try to raise the gas tax 45 cents, instead of the sales tax 2 cents. We can't raise sales tax because it hurts low income families allegedly. (Those with rent, heat, Internet assistance, and the $1200 foodstamp benefit since this covid stuff began)

Ya we sure can't afford 4 more years of the giveaway stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!