4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Breaking news!!!!  Got 31 in the bag so far which is about 6x more than I’ve found in my entire life combined. 

7DE6C038-A9C7-41DE-9340-4D711FAF6EA6.jpeg

767FD539-4A4B-4C17-A7DD-DADD8729FBD2.jpeg

Last year at our local Farmers market ( Held every Saturday and Sunday) they were selling for $30 dollars a pound .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't have any morals

Breaking news!!!!  Got 31 in the bag so far which is about 6x more than I’ve found in my entire life combined. 

Last year I was lucky enough to find some real monsters Mark

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Last year at our local Farmers market ( Held every Saturday and Sunday) they were selling for $30 dollars a pound .

I heard of $20 around here.  I like 'em, but maybe not that much.

I love those things and I know where to find em but every time I return with a batch i have to strip down naked out side and rid my self of ten to twenty dam ticks. And then do the same for the dog. I would almost rather buy them then deal with the ticks . 

19 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Were those " special " mushrooms that make you feel GREAT ?

• Haha 2

Last year my MIL was at a grocery that was selling them for $50/lb. I love eating them and nobody, I mean NOBODY will take you to their spot  so I wouldn’t sell these for $100/lb. I’m going to cook, eat, and enjoy them with my family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Last year my MIL was at a grocery that was selling them for $50/lb. I love eating them and nobody, I mean NOBODY will take you to their spot  so I wouldn’t sell these for $100/lb. I’m going to cook, eat, and enjoy them with my family. 

Glad I’m your brotha from anotha motha!!!!! lol 😂 

• Haha 3

Get a few on the lawn every spring, seems like the acorns bring em out. 

• Like 1

False Morels don't have a hollow stem.  Hollow stem is a type of morel and good to go.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

Sledge hammer I'm no expert, but a ol timer once told me that the mushrooms in your pictures are false morels? He called them dog peckers? Also he said that they can be toxic to some and others have no issues eating them.

Good info to be aware of. 

9 hours ago, IHandJDman said:

False Morels don't have a hollow stem.  Hollow stem is a type of morel and good to go.

All of these had a hollow stem. A couple small ones had thicker walled stems but were still barely hollow.  I did some research and nothing I had looked like any of the “false” variety

45 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

How do you prep your shrooms?

Soak in water? then prepare?

Most people i know of dry them, then I think they smoke them

Another guaranteed way to tell false morels is the tops won't be connected to the stem around the outside edges. 

I enjoy tons of them every spring, the extras I dry, have gallon bags full of them

Mark

1 hour ago, nomorejohndeere said:

How do you prep your shrooms?

Soak in water? then prepare?

I’ve asked several people and all are slightly different. We soaked in salt water for a day and then rinsed them and put flour on them with some salt and pepper. Pan fry until just a little crisp.  Others use egg or milk and a seasoned fish breading or something like that.  My brother likes them dipped in egg and then crushed up saltine crackers for breading.

I think VT was talking about different mushrooms.......

2 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

never heard of it smoked

soak in salt water then flour batter and pan fry

• Like 1
On 4/11/2021 at 7:51 PM, junkandcattle said:

No , those cost a whole lot more and taste terrible . 

• Haha 2
On 4/11/2021 at 8:51 PM, junkandcattle said:

When I seen this that is what I thought it was about....................Goodie 2 shoes neighbor's grandson was "Farming" those in the grandparents basement...................Had "Oregano" growing in the 2nd story of the house..............The goodie 2 shoe's have rarely been seen since, I can't wait to tell them I never knew they filed a schedule F on their taxes!

• Haha 2

I think they are just about done for the year, here.  These two are all I found yesterday at my normal spot.  Had two decent hauls this year, before this.

20210419_145529.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats we have had very little sunshine the last two weeks so I didn't even bother to look. 3 1/2" of snow this morning and supposed to freeze tonight and tomorrow night. Hopes are fading fast.

In a survival course I took years ago I was told to never eat a mushroom unless you purchased it from a store.  To many look-A-likes it takes an expert to determine eatable from poisonous. When I was in Seattle in 82 several recent immigrants from South East Asia were killed by eating what they thought were eatable  mushrooms they found when picking wild blueberries.  Poor folks went through a war of wars and came to a new Country to Die of senseless food poisoning.

In the summer time we get white ones in the pasture.   Was told they were good, but not that brave.   There’s two white ones that can grow there, one is good. Other not so much.    

11 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

In the summer time we get white ones in the pasture.   Was told they were good, but not that brave.   There’s two white ones that can grow there, one is good. Other not so much.    

Out in the pasture , under a cow pie, those are the good ones. 
That’s why they taste sooooooo bad 

• Haha 1