Mushrooms

junkandcattle

We are not seeing any yet but it is getting close and we are certainly getting enough moisture for mushrooms. Anyone finding them yet ? Ours would be morrells , there are other edibles but I don't trust my identification skills and don't want to visit the ER.  Looking forward to good fried mess

3 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

Never heard of that one before. Morrells and beefsteaks. 

Fiddle heads are ferns that grow on the river banks, The head looks like the head of a fiddle  we steam them and put on butter salt and pepper and then pickle some and can them 

25 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

We are not seeing any yet but it is getting close and we are certainly getting enough moisture for mushrooms. Anyone finding them yet ? Ours would be morrells , there are other edibles but I don't trust my identification skills and don't want to visit the ER.  Looking forward to good fried mess

Do you have a spot?  I don't, and have kind of given up trying since there seem to be so many more ticks than we used to have.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

We are not seeing any yet but it is getting close and we are certainly getting enough moisture for mushrooms. Anyone finding them yet ? 

Needs to get some warm nights. They have to be big enough to trip over for me to find any. So I never find any. ?

• Like 1

I'll be finding some soon, usually prime time for finding them when the may apples are blooming, and they're going to be there quick with the warmer weather.

to early here for us in MO, got 2 inches rain here but cool weather this week so doubtful we see any pop for another couple weeks other than the small grays

Brother and a buddy have found some mushrooms over the last week or so. I stumbled into a batch of fiddleheads yesterday evening while I was looking to roost a Turkey. I love mushrooms but haven’t ever been any good at finding them myself. I did spy a good pond for some frog legs a couple days ago though.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Do you have a spot?  I don't, and have kind of given up trying since there seem to be so many more ticks than we used to have.

I haven't even bothered to hunt the last couple of years because I got in to a nasty mess of the little deer ticks I could feel them for days ?

Used to be able to get about half of a bread sack full on a trip through if I got there before the invaders

2 hours ago, red2thebone sr said:

Needs to get some warm nights. They have to be big enough to trip over for me to find any. So I never find any. ?

Gonna screw around and have too much grass for me to find them too.

3 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

Fiddle heads are ferns that grow on the river banks, The head looks like the head of a fiddle  we steam them and put on butter salt and pepper and then pickle some and can them 

sounds tasty

1 minute ago, junkandcattle said:

sounds tasty

If you don't have them I can send you some to try ,,, do you like dandy lion greens ??

23 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

If you don't have them I can send you some to try ,,, do you like dandy lion greens ??

Not so much ,are they similar ?

Been finding them for a couple weeks.  Got a good mess of them yesterday.  Season is about 3 weeks.

And yes, the apples just started blooming, so thats not a bad indicator. 

We are probably a month away up here but it could come earlier this year, I might go for a look in a week or so. I had a couple good spots that always yielded good but the last couple years they didn't produce well. I might have to go looking for new places.

Breaking news!!!!  Got 31 in the bag so far which is about 6x more than I’ve found in my entire life combined. 

7DE6C038-A9C7-41DE-9340-4D711FAF6EA6.jpeg

767FD539-4A4B-4C17-A7DD-DADD8729FBD2.jpeg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Breaking news!!!!  Got 31 in the bag so far which is about 6x more than I’ve found in my entire life combined. 

7DE6C038-A9C7-41DE-9340-4D711FAF6EA6.jpeg

767FD539-4A4B-4C17-A7DD-DADD8729FBD2.jpeg

Do you need my address?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I need to have you come over and show me how to find them!!!

25 minutes ago, Alan Dinan said:
1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

I need to have you come over and show me how to find them!!!

Expand  

You have to use enough gun to knock them down with the first shot. A .22 won’t hack it. A good .38 special is the way to go. ?

• Haha 3